::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2002, 12:44 PM   #1
OPAKRACING

Civic's aren't bad :(

...Are they? I know there not the fastest thing on the block, but they're good looking and are cheap, LOL!

My fren has a civ and he beats a lot of peeps with it....its not slow by any means...and he hasn't even put a turbo on it....jsut some bolt-ons...and an octane booster, lol. he has custom exhaust, AEM intake, and new plugs/wires, new battery, new....thats about it. altho we don't live in a place where fixing up cars (except muscle cars) is a big thing, he still beats a lot of people...and remember, most of the time (unless the person is driveing a ferrari, or any other 500,000 dollar car) it's the driver, not the car.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:57 PM   #2
GirlRacer

On your side.

Who said Civics are bad? I like Civics, and they're just like any other car, if you just buy them and drive them around, they're not going to be fast. But if you do stuff to improve your speed...it will improve.
But, aloooooot is in the driver.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:00 PM   #3
V8killimports

Re: Civic's aren't bad :(

Quote:
Originally posted by OPAKRACING
...Are they? I know there not the fastest thing on the block, but they're good looking and are cheap, LOL!

My fren has a civ and he beats a lot of peeps with it....its not slow by any means...and he hasn't even put a turbo on it....jsut some bolt-ons...and an octane booster, lol. he has custom exhaust, AEM intake, and new plugs/wires, new battery, new....thats about it. altho we don't live in a place where fixing up cars (except muscle cars) is a big thing, he still beats a lot of people...and remember, most of the time (unless the person is driveing a ferrari, or any other 500,000 dollar car) it's the driver, not the car.

Aside from the intake and exhaust.. I guess.. none of these mods will make the car faster.. 99% of the octane boosters out there are bs. Battery, plugs/wires won't give you more power.. just give you better milage and a smoother running range.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
OPAKRACING

...plugs and wires give better throttle response also.....and the NOS octane booster...its perfectly good, it does what it advertises...i can tell a diference in my car.

...alls i know is when my fren races...he wins a lot of the time.

...i guess its cause he's a very experienced, good driver.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:53 PM   #5
GirlRacer

*awww...OPAK's so cute*
Old 09-28-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
V8killimports

That must be some amazing octane booster.. sad how people fall for a lot of the gimmics out there.. octane booster is designed to keep your car from pinging if you have a high compression ratio.. or running SC or TC and you have pinging problems in high heat. New plugs will give you better throttle response if your old plugs were bad. It cracks me up when people buy those $6 splitfire plugs..
Old 09-28-2002, 03:59 PM   #7
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
That must be some amazing octane booster.. sad how people fall for a lot of the gimmics out there.. octane booster is designed to keep your car from pinging if you have a high compression ratio.. or running SC or TC and you have pinging problems in high heat. New plugs will give you better throttle response if your old plugs were bad. It cracks me up when people buy those $6 splitfire plugs..
thats what i always thought a octane booster does..
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 08:17 PM   #8
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by drdingo21
thats what i always thought a octane booster does..

BTW, I went to Barnes and Noble with my wife tonight cause we are wild party animals, and spent my time reading through all the import magazines to see what they do, mods, power gains, etc. They took a stock honda civic, added an exhaust (6 hp gain), cold air intake (4 hp gain), headers (7hp gain), and honestly I forget what else.. anyways, after over $1500 they gained only 24hp. No, hondas are not bad. In fact I love them... I never have to work on the thing, I get 25mpg most of the time around town, and it's just a good every day little putt putt here, putt putt there car.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:37 PM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

what modle civic is it? and the only way plugs/wires will help at all is if your putting out such a high hp that you cant get enough spark in there... or if your running some sort of FI that requires a big spark. i have plugs/msd/coil/platinum plugs and hoestly.. the msd/coil made my car idle smoother, the wires didnt do anything, and the nkg platimun plugs were the only thing that made my car feel like it ran better, but that is cause my car runs rediculasly(sp?) rich and my crappy $1 plugs were shot. if he's got a SI, then he could hold his own against the import crowd, but when you say he's killin everyone... what kind of cars?

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:16 PM   #10
juvenile

beetle, mpv, geo metro etc

lol jfwy
Old 09-28-2002, 11:53 PM   #11
Wren57

Yeah I gotta back v8 on this one... plugs/wires do nothing unless your old ones cant spark enough to burn the fuel/air mixture in your combustion chamber, and based on your listed mods your stock plugs would work just fine unless you have too many miles on em... another thing about the octane booster... He is right about it preventing detonation, and it can actually HARM your car if you run octane booster without serious power... high octane with minimal power adders destroys your cat converters... driver has a lot to do with it out of the hole, but after that its mainly who has the better car... anyways glad he wins, even if it is against 18 second cars...
Old 09-29-2002, 12:28 AM   #12
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
Yeah I gotta back v8 on this one... plugs/wires do nothing unless your old ones cant spark enough to burn the fuel/air mixture in your combustion chamber, and based on your listed mods your stock plugs would work just fine unless you have too many miles on em... another thing about the octane booster... He is right about it preventing detonation, and it can actually HARM your car if you run octane booster without serious power... high octane with minimal power adders destroys your cat converters... driver has a lot to do with it out of the hole, but after that its mainly who has the better car... anyways glad he wins, even if it is against 18 second cars...

Yea.. I forgot.. I heard about fuel additives ruining cats... I am glad I don't have to run that crap..
Old 09-29-2002, 12:37 AM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Why is this in the KILLS forum?

------MOVED--------
Old 09-29-2002, 12:42 AM   #14
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:

The NOS Racing Formula "Octane Booster" Has some nitro-meth in it. It DOES make a difference. Though I would never run that crap again. You ought to see what it does to spark plugs. The pic below is after 1 use of it.

And yeah Splitfires are a joke. The best plugs are NGK. Odd. That's what comes stock in Civics.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98civicex - red spark plugs 4sm.jpg (19.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-29-2002, 12:54 AM   #15
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

The NOS Racing Formula "Octane Booster" Has some nitro-meth in it. It DOES make a difference. Though I would never run that crap again. You ought to see what it does to spark plugs. The pic below is after 1 use of it.

And yeah Splitfires are a joke. The best plugs are NGK. Odd. That's what comes stock in Civics.....

Where are the other 4?
Old 09-29-2002, 12:57 AM   #16
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

quite you!

Old 09-29-2002, 01:24 AM   #17
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
quite you!

Old 09-29-2002, 01:44 AM   #18
juvenile

no no...you all got it wrong...there are supposed to be 6!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:52 AM   #19
OPAKRACING

eep...well, i didnt know the booster could do that stuff to your plugs and cat, so, thx for the info V8 and civic addict.

but if you have old plugs adn wires....wouldn't new ones send a better stronger spark to the plug?
Old 09-29-2002, 10:31 AM   #20
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Where are the other 4?

See what happens! My car was a V8. Used the damn NOS booster and lost 4 cylinders!!
Old 09-29-2002, 10:32 AM   #21
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by OPAKRACING
but if you have old plugs adn wires....wouldn't new ones send a better stronger spark to the plug?

Yes they will help. But don't expect to see a night & day difference from just plugs & wires.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:26 PM   #22
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

Where are the other 4?

Why do you want to see his new set for.

Thats one reason why civics are so nice you only have to spend $8 instead of $16 for plugs..

V8KillImports: Glad Im not the only one that visits Barns and Nobles on a Friday night.

Im going to agree with him also.. Those mods that you mentioned arent all that they are cracked up to be. I have pretty much the same mods on my car because I thought it would be cool to waste my money back then. Fact of the matter the only real gain I got out of those mods were the fact that it looks a little cooler when I pop the hood. The fact is, your friend probably could have beat the cars he beat bone stock. I had a friend that had a bone stock Civic and he spanked a V6 Mustang. He's a hell of a driver and the mustang driver was an ok driver.

Civics are great cars to drive, dont get me wrong. Ill be looking else where next time for more power.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:41 PM   #23
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

See what happens! My car was a V8. Used the damn NOS booster and lost 4 cylinders!!

LOL
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 09:47 PM   #24
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Civics are great cars to drive, dont get me wrong. Ill be looking else where next time for more power.
DITTO!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:54 PM   #25
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

same with me, but with fwd hondas in general rwd hondas are nice (s2k nsx)