::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2002, 12:56 PM   #1
J L Goller

My problems and the symptoms

I just got my brakes chcked out and got new brake hoses and cylinders on both front wheels. Now, I have a weird noise coming out of the right rear wheel. My brake light is on, yet I can't check the brake fluid, cuz my damn hood won't open. Anyway, I was pushing down on the car with the parking brake off and it was making a swischy noise. I thoght maybe it was the shock or strut (I havewn't any idea of the difference, I'm learning here), but when I put the parking brake on, it no longer made the noise when I pushed down. My friend thinks it's a cracked cylinder and that makes sense due to a loss of brake fluid previously, but as stated I have no idea about cars.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
ripthesystem

So what is your question exactly..

I'd say your first order of business is getting the hood open- why won't it open?

Next would be pulling your wheels off and visually checking the brakes.. does your car brake ok(regardless of the noise?) does it make the sound just sitting idle w/o brakes on or is it only when you are driving and step on the brakes?

You said that you just had your brakes checked- did they check the rear ones too?

ripthesystem
Old 07-09-2002, 11:47 AM   #3
J L Goller

The hood won't open cuz the cable is stretched out. I'm going to take the bumper off and see what I can do.

I had all the brakes checked. The main sound is when I take the car off the parking brake and roll back. I hear a sound that sounds like the brake is sticking. It does not make any sound while idling, and it's been braking fine.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:00 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it might be one of the return springs that jumped out of place. remove the drum and see wassup there. it's pretty straight forward.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #5
J L Goller

In addition to what's been stated, my car has only 100k on it. I do not race by any means. I like the car. I know the complete history of owner and maintanence. I'm thinking I may put some money and time into this instead of bitching about any and all problems. Sure it's an '88, but I'm thinking with some time it can be a decent ride. Agreed?
Old 07-09-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
J L Goller

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:15 PM   #7
ripthesystem

agreed mate- you can take care of it no problem!
let us know what you find out

ripthesystem
Old 07-10-2002, 12:27 PM   #8
J L Goller

OK, I checked the rear wheels and found the right (The noisy one) had a funny sound when I spun the drum. I'm guessing it was a spring as suggested, and it sounded like it was loose. I could not get the drum off. I did what was suggested from the Haynes book I have. I didn't try putting bolts in the holes. I wasn't sure what it'd do, but Im going to have to give it a try. Any other ideas on how how to get the damn thing off?
Also, is it a major deal taking the front bumper off? I gave it a look before it was getting too dark and found that I'd appear to have a decent shot at the release cable. I was looking at a lock kit and just getting rid of the cable all together.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I think you have to open the hood to take the bumper off...
Old 07-11-2002, 01:18 PM   #10
J L Goller

I hope not. We'll see after tonight.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:56 PM   #11
J L Goller

Bastard won't open. I'm taking a big bad crowbar to it tonight. This sucks.