::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2002, 10:11 PM   #1
Netmirov

1991 Accord problems

I've got a problem with my 1991 accord. The other day, the speedometer and RPM needles went haywire, and the engine died. No chugging, funny noises, nothing. It just cut out. Now the car will not start. When the key's turned, it begins to turn over, but at the top of its compression, it cuts out. There's battery power and everything, it just doesn't go.
A mechanic friend has told me it's the fuel pump. This brings me to the next problem. The pump is not external. Which obviously means it's internal. However, the sole hatch in the trunk to check the tank is access only to the float in the gas tank. That's it. No pump assembly there.
Can somebody please give me some advice on this? I'm at my wit's end, and I'm pretty much ready to drop the tank tomorrow morning to find this mystery pump.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Barton
Old 06-16-2002, 11:54 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

have you checked the car for codes ? if the fuel pump was at fault ar anything in the fuel system it will spit a 42 code. you don't need to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump. it is attached to the tank wit 2 or 3 screws from inside the car. all you need to do is recline the backseats. ohh one more thing: i u put the key on the on position can you hear the pump spooling ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
Netmirov

I've checked the car for codes, but none come up (yes, I've jumped the leads). As far as the location of the pump, are you sure? I haven't seen any screws on the inside of the car, save for the ones that open up the float access panel. And, no, I don't hear the pump spooling.
Could this be something more?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:21 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

might be your pump that is messed up, but i don't get it why the needles went haywire. maybe you had a short that burnt something look for blown fusses and things first.

Old 06-17-2002, 12:36 AM   #5
Netmirov

Will do. Thanks for the help. Question, though, is there a relay for the fuel pump, and if so, where? The schematics in the crappy Chilton book I've got aren't very helpful.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:43 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

haynes doesn't help either. in fact i think there is a relay undernath the dash, but i don't know which one.

Old 06-17-2002, 12:51 AM   #7
Netmirov

Well, easiest way to check then is to pull them all Thanks
Old 06-24-2002, 04:01 PM   #8
panther314
Parked

u should actually chek ur main relay first it is easier to access..plus there is no code so it cant be the fuel pump....take out the main relay and chek the solder to see if any has let go if it has solder some on top or replace the unit ...if it still wont start change the igniter these are the 2 most problems with accords not working probably.....if u have any other concerns just ask ....