::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2002, 02:30 AM   #1
accordboy00

pulleys???

This may be a stupid question, but what are pulleys and how will after market pulleys generate more hp? What do they cost and what will the benefits be on a 6gen?
Old 06-11-2002, 02:42 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I'll assume you're talking about the AEM kit:

A set of pulleys reduces the parasitic drag that the stock pulleys give you. They are made of 6061 alum. and are slightly larger than the stock pulleys to slightly underdrive your factory accessories. They will gain you a few ponies and increase throttle response. Most of the power gained is in the 4k range I believe, which is nice to get you going.

The AEM set will go for anywhere from $130--> $180ish. Try www.groupbuycenter.com for a good price.

There is a downside. They underdrive your alternator, which means that it will output less power, but this is ONLY noticable at idle. If you have a large system, I'd stay away from these, or at least add a capacitor. My lights dim at idle, but its no big deal to me.

If you have any other questions, just ask away.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 02:48 AM   #3
accordboy00

would you suggest adding the pulleys now or later after other mods?
Old 06-11-2002, 02:57 AM   #4
accordboy00

Never mind, I just ran a search on pulleys and pulled up a whole lot of ish. Sorry I didn't do that before.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:28 AM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

No problem. As for adding them after other mods... I didn't, but I would recommend that you do. You will gain more power from the other mods, so I'd say go for them first. If you just want to spend $150ish for a little increase though, go for it.

Old 06-11-2002, 10:02 AM   #6
ShEaNy

So if they take power away from the steering and alternator would a heavy duty alternator solve the problem? (or am i just on crack) lol so the lights won't dim.....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 10:35 AM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I suppose a larger alternator would make up for the difference, but its really not necessary. If you're that worried, don't get the pulleys.

Old 06-11-2002, 10:37 AM   #8
ShEaNy

well nono its not that i'm worried or anything.....its just that i'd like everything running right...like no light dim....thats all...its just tha way i am....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 12:51 PM   #9
spoogenet

Do they impact the AC on the 6th gen, or only the power steering and alternator?

I'm also thinking of getting pulleys sometime soon, maybe to go along with my intake, or maybe the next mod after my intake. But if they impact my AC in any way, I won't get them.

I take it the install is fairly simple and straight forward, no?

On my bro's 95 LX he had no issues with the alternator even with his rather large system. He did have a good sized cap, though. I never noticed his lights dim.

b
Old 06-11-2002, 06:12 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Do they impact the AC on the 6th gen, or only the power steering and alternator?

I'm also thinking of getting pulleys sometime soon, maybe to go along with my intake, or maybe the next mod after my intake. But if they impact my AC in any way, I won't get them.

I take it the install is fairly simple and straight forward, no?

On my bro's 95 LX he had no issues with the alternator even with his rather large system. He did have a good sized cap, though. I never noticed his lights dim.

b

They do impact the AC, it is driven inline with the other accessories. Not a big deal though, just at idle it won't blow too hard, then it noticably speeds up when you go.

They aren't hard to install, but you'll probably need an impact wrench. The stock ones are really on there well.