::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2002, 05:17 PM   #1
accordboy00

AC filters???

While I was at Firestone the other day getting my tires rotated, the guys told me that I was going to need two new AC filters. They wanted almost $150 to do it, because its hard to get to the filters. I Said !@#$ that!

1. How did they see my filters if they are hard to get to in the first palce?

2. Can my filters really be that bad if my car is 18 months old and I almost never use my AC?

3. Can I replace the filter myself? Is it easy?

4. Is this problem serious?

5. Can anybody explain what the hell AC filter are.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2002, 05:31 PM   #2
spoogenet

1. They probably can't, but I can't say for sure.

2. Probably not, but again, I can't say for sure.

3-5. I dunno.

I do know, however, that places like Jiffy Lube try to get you to replace your air filter (for the engine) every time you get an oil service, whether it's a new or old air filter. It's one of their simple ways to make money off people who don't know any better and want to be on the safe side. In their defense, though, sometimes people really do need new air filters.

I would guess the AC filter is the air filtration system for pulling external air into the cabin. I would imagine that there would be one filter used regardless of whether there's AC or heat. Perhaps it's not actually an air filter, though....is there the possibility that there's any filter on the AC system itself, like an oil filter? If so, there may be a way to tell it's bad without getting to it, just like you can see whether your battery is dead or the AC needs a recharge from the little viewing window.

Whatever it is, it's probably not urgent enough to get fixed today....

b
Old 05-30-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
blownteggy

tell firestone to kiss your ass. an a/c filter cost $28..
Old 05-30-2002, 09:35 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the AC air filter is supposed to keep dust from enetering the cabin, but i'm not really sure about that. the ac system does not have a filter because when you would take the filter out it would let the freon go in the air, and we all know that the freon is bad for the ozone thing.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:26 PM   #5
accordboy00

Thanks guys!
I basically told them to kiss my ass, but not in that language. True, places like to take advantage of stupid people. I'll just ignore it and keep driving until I start leaking freon into the ozone and contribute to global warming....or some ish like that
Peace
Old 05-31-2002, 10:48 AM   #6
spoogenet

The '00 does not use freon. No new car uses freon in the US, they all use the RJ134 or whatever coolant.....

I still see what you're saying about not having a filter on the AC system, and I was totally speculating as a possibiliy......I wouldn't expect one to be necessary in the first place.

So it's as I suspected, an air filter for the ventilation system.....they're just out to make a few easy bucks.

b