Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 AM   #1
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

tough decision

It has came to a pint in my life where i have to make yet another important decision (and it is not concerning cars). I have been looking for a job and i can't find anything good so i am stuck here with valet parking. Well there is this program microsoft offers for MCP, MCSA, MCSE and it is a 24 week program that offers classes and the tests to become certified. The downside of it is that it will run me $24000 to attend it. Also the local college offers the same classes and i could go out with about $4000 for the certifications, but in the order they offer the classes i will be done next year about this time. Also there is the home study kits that will run me about $125 but i think the hands on experience will be a lot better, than the home study and will offer a more rigurous schedule, then just let me study on my own (i am a lazy bastard if you didn't know already). And my last option will be to finish my associates degree in computer science which i will be done with next spring. I know the best option kinda sounds the first one, but i don't have 24k laying around, and i have about half that in debt right now so i don't know which way i should chose. also i don't wanna spend the next 25 years in a factory. Any ideas and suggestions please ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I definitely would NOT go with the $24K program. I mean seriously...$1K a week for a few low level certifications? If it were me, I would get serious about the classes you've already done towards your associates and finish that. Most companies look better upon an actual degree rather than a simple certification, in my experience. I could type out code with my wang and get an MCSE certification...but that doesn't mean someone would hire me.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
I definitely would NOT go with the $24K program. I mean seriously...$1K a week for a few low level certifications? If it were me, I would get serious about the classes you've already done towards your associates and finish that. Most companies look better upon an actual degree rather than a simple certification, in my experience. I could type out code with my wang and get an MCSE certification...but that doesn't mean someone would hire me.

well it seems that you have no idea what those certifications mean: they are some of the higher level ones, and i think some of the toughest to get. also they do not involve a lot of coding, and anyone can type code either with normally or with their wang like you will, but it is what you type

Old 07-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

True...I don't really know much about comp certifications. Maybe it's A+ cert. that I'm thinking of instead of MCSE. Hard to keep all of those bastards straight.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
drdingo21

Thats about double what I paid...and I got more time and more certs...

Also there is no point in getting both the MCSA and MCSE. The MCSE a step up from the MCSA and generaly takes far longer to achinve. Actually is extremely hard to get with no hands on experince.

I would go with the MCSA. And wouldn't attend that class.

http://www.propoint.com/ppi/index.cfm
Thats where I attened. The instructors were very educated and knew what they were talking about. 4 hours a night 4 days a week for 4 months. And they fed us on Thursday night. Highly reccommend them.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
drdingo21

Looks like they got bought out....PP is now signal learning...
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well that is one of the things i called you about on thursday night, but congratulate mike for me.