Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Pics of the Stang

I wasn't sure where this should go...here or in the Pic forum...but seeing as how many people here have asked to see what kind of interior/steering mods (non-performance) my car(s) have and I've never posted them, I grabbed my camera before I left for spring break and took some pics. Word.

First up, the steering wheel...of sorts. I drew three arrows for clarity. Basically, the one pointing to the shoe is pointing at the bolt that fits into the wheel. The one pointing at the wheel is pointing to the hole that the bolt fits into. The third one kind of towards the top is the chain. The chain is basically a bike chain that runs up around the steering column and back down around the wheel. So, put your foot in the shoe, attach the shoe to wheel, move your leg and turn the wheel. Booyah.

Here's a pic of the switch console where the armrest would usually be. It's just a bunch of toggle switches that control ignition, windows, locks, wipers, horn, fuel door releasem hatch release, etc.

Finally, the shifter extension. Nothing fancy. Really it's just a bar with an arm that attaches to the shifter. And not...the shifter has no lock in it. If you look closely you can also see the rather inconsequential (and hardly ever used) HVAC control extensions.

And just for shits and giggles...PH33R!

Any questions?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
mylittlecivic

Cool! dont let me in there ill start playing with all those switches lol.

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
CD5Passion

badass man badass
Old 03-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
sicones

i dont get it, why do you want to stear with your feet, handicapped???
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Very neat setup with the toggles and steering system.
How long did it take to memorize the toggle controls? Do I count 10??
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well...there are only a few of the switches that I'd use regularly like the turn signals (the second switch after the ignition) and the ignition. Most of the other stuff you can actually take the time to look at the panel before using. All in all it probably took me a few weeks to get everything down without looking. Then I had to relearn it all with the truck since the aren't in the same positions.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 03-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Do you use a 3 way switch for the signals?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Do you use a 3 way switch for the signals?

Yeah. If you look at the console in that pic, the first switch that's on the front at sort of an angle is the ignition. The one right after that is the turn signal switch. I must have hit it or something because it's in the position it'd be in for a left turn. But it has a left, center, and right position.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
JDMFantasy2k

wow steve, i had always wondered how that setup was. How long did it take you to get used to steering with your feet?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMFantasy2k
wow steve, i had always wondered how that setup was. How long did it take you to get used to steering with your feet?

Well...unlike you mortals, I learned to drive with my foot first, then slowly learned how to do it "normally" (although legally I'm not allowed to drive without a "mechanical aid"...even says so on my license). After I got the car back from being modified I took it out for about an hour in a parking lot to get a feel for the sensitivity and feedback of the steering. After that it took a couple more trips out to get the usual shit sorted out (I always seemed to hit the gas too hard from a stop). I didn't, however, have the problem most people have when they first start using both feet to drive since my left foot was already occupied. Honestly, to me it's just second nature but I still get people who can't believe that it's possible. Oh...and chicks dig it, too. They're always asking me if I'll teach them to drive like that.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:40 PM   #11
MissJDM

Man, that's so awesome, you soo have to teach me how to drive that!

That's badass, Steven. It's about damn time you posted those pics. Didn't you say that costs like 12k or something? Who invented that thing anyway?

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Man, that's so awesome, you soo have to teach me how to drive that!

That's badass, Steven. It's about damn time you posted those pics. Didn't you say that costs like 12k or something? Who invented that thing anyway?

Yeah...$12K for the whole thing. That also includes the backup power steering system that provides pressure to the pump in case the serpentine belt breaks (which it has). I don't know that it was really "invented" since the company that did it does every job custom. It was done by Ahnafield Inc. of Indianapolis (www.ahnafield.com). For them this is really simple stuff. They have in-house development of stuff waaaaay more sophisticated than this. Most of their time is tied up in wheelchair ramps, though. The state paid for the Mustang's conversion, but I had to pay for the truck on my own. Long story as to why, but needless to say it sucks that I have to hang onto this truck for so long. Not like I can just drop $32K total for another car anytime soon.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:12 PM   #13
dabouncerx24

Ok, sickass setup dude.
But I am WAY confused, why are you steering with your foot again? And how does the shifting work?
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by dabouncerx24
Ok, sickass setup dude.
But I am WAY confused, why are you steering with your foot again? And how does the shifting work?

Yeah...my arms are a bit shorter than most people's. I think there's a picture of me that illustrates that over on page 2 of the "pictures of the guys this time" thread in Battle Of The Sexes. Maybe it's page 3 or 4...whatever. The shifting...not much to it. It's basically just a stock automatic shifter that's had the upper "T" part of it cut off (hence there not being a lock). The shifter moves back and forth freely. I had a manual automatic valve body in there a while back, but it's just too much work. That's why I'd never own a manual (even though, again, my license says I can't legally own a car with a manual tranny). Too much work in the city.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #15
JDMFantasy2k

that tranny must be beefed up like shit to handle the power you're throwing at it.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #16
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
that tranny must be beefed up like shit to handle the power you're throwing at it.

Yes...yes it is.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 AM   #17
dabouncerx24

Ohh, sorry for bringing it up dude.

Haha, at first I thought it was a manual gearbox and shifter :o .
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 AM   #18
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Yes...yes it is.

hahah nice
that's a cool set up man
Thanks for sharing.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:20 AM   #19
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by dabouncerx24
Ohh, sorry for bringing it up dude.

Why would you be sorry dude? You asked a legitimate question. I'm not one of those pissed off cripples who thinks every question they get is some sort of insult. Those people are fucks. No...I'm the other kind of cripple.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:34 AM   #20
MissJDM

So what are you gonna do when this motor blows? er, if it does.

And yes, he doesn't mind questions, trust me on this!

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:06 AM   #21
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
So what are you gonna do when this motor blows? er, if it does.

And yes, he doesn't mind questions, trust me on this!

The motor is actually the 3rd in the car. First there was the stock motor (yeah...that sucked ass). After that came a 306 which eventually became a 331 with a cracked block. Now it's got a B50 block and entirely forged internals. I don't see it giving up on me anytime soon. If it does, I'm going looking for an A4 or R302 block to build off of.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #22
JDMFantasy2k

hey how does the ignition work? Is it just toggle style on that control box? And how do you lock it and whatnot (keyless entry? ) so people don't steal it.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #23
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
hey how does the ignition work? Is it just toggle style on that control box? And how do you lock it and whatnot (keyless entry? ) so people don't steal it.

Yeah. The toggle on the console is the only ignition switch now. Even the original cylinder has been removed. It basically works on a relay instead of with a key. There's also a delay switch that waits about 2 or 3 seconds after you flip the switch to turn the motor on and off just in case someone or something hits the switch while you're moving so it doesn't just shut right off. As for the doors, you can lock them any one of 3 ways. With the keys, with the original switches on the door, or with the toggle on the console (all of the original controls that the switches replace still work in case someone else drives the car). The car doesn't have keyless entry and I usually don't use the console switches. Honestly, I rarely lock the thing. Someone stupid enough to steal a car probably won't be able to figure out how to even start it, much less drive it (it can be driven normally once the shoe is removed from the disc, but otherwise it's hard to drive regularly since the shoe keeps hitting the floorboard).

Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #24
ShEaNy

thats a crazy set up man... i want to learn to drive/steer with my feet now
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #25
JDMFantasy2k

shit i just thought up another one. How the hell do you get the shoe on and off
Old 03-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #26
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
shit i just thought up another one. How the hell do you get the shoe on and off

Well...it's a loafer so it doesn't have any laces or anything. Slip on, slip off.