Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
96civicex
1st Gear

problems with my car

Ok, I feel like my car is slowly falling apart. There are 3 things that I am concerned with. First: Sometimes when I may need to down shift, but should be ok (like it used to be), my car starts to jerk. When I down shift, it stops. It seems to happen more when my engine is cold. Second: I have let my alignment go uncorrected for too long and I have been meaning to get it fixed. I guess this has something to do with it. My steering wheel has to be turned slightly to the right now for my car to go straight. Third: My car leans (its slightly higher on one side) to the right. I thought this may mean that I need new struts. I am a pretty big guy (250 lbs.), but it shouldn't make it leans like that all the time, should it? Oh and one more thing. I haven't had my timing belt changed and I wanted to know if anyone knew about how much that costs(average).
If someone has any answers or suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

96 Civic Ex
112,000 miles
96civicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

First: At what point does the car jerk when you downshift? Post clutch press, pre, in-gear, neutral...?

Second: Get an alignment...
The steering will be corrected and a good place will tell you anything else that is wrong w/ the suspension

Third: How far are you lowered and what shocks are you riding on? If theyre the original ones that came on the car it might just be time to change them...112k miles is a long way for those babies

Fourth: Get your timing belt changed...especially if youve never done it before (depending on how long youve owned the car, of course). Having it done is quite expensive, but the cost justifies the means...its a HUGE pain in the ass IMO. Have honda do it, if anyone, and get a new water pump at the same time...why not? Last time I had mine done I think it was over $500 for everything(plus new pump and valve adjustment...and some other crap too that escapes me right now)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
96civicex
1st Gear

The car jerks when I need to downshift. I guess its like I'm in too high of a gear for it, but it used to not do that. Its when I'm driving conservatively to save gas. I'm not overly bogging the engine down or anything. But it mostly does it within in the first 5 minutes of cranking it.

My car is not lowered at all. Its just the factory struts and springs.

And getting your timing belt changed, the new water pump, and valve adjustment from Honda was $500. I just wanted to make sure because someone told me that they had a 97 Accord and getting the timing belt changed was around $900. I just about crapped my pants when they told me that.

Thanks again
96civicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

oh my bad...thought I read coilovers in there (see Im losing my mind...) Ok then its probably time to change the suspension then...new honda shocks it thats all you want shouldnt be that much. You could probably easily buy factory ones from someone who upgraded for not a lot of money. 2000's wont have many miles on them either (its an option)

I really cant say exactly how much it was...the receipt is somewhere around here (if i knew id double check for you)...but I want to say it was something like $500...

Are you rev matching when you downshift?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote