.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should I look into getting?
02-04 Civic Si 3dr hatch 3 10.71%
94-97 300zx Twin Turbo 9 32.14%
any WRX no sti's cant afford them 7 25.00%
03-04 Dodge neon SRT-4 1 3.57%
93-95 240sx 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Civickid0to60

Ok, a poll to help a brotha out.

Ok check this, if you were me on deciding on a new car.......

First off there are some badass skylines for like real cheap on ebay right now. so thats also an option but i figure they probably wont be around when i go to buy. so here are my main choices.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
4drmadness

Skyline would be sweet but the Si is a very nice choice for sure if you get your hands on one...

good luck and do share what you end up doing...
Old 02-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
Wren57

I'm starting to get the idea you have no idea what you are doing... one idea jumps in your head one second and out the next, then you get some other idea... it's ok to ask questions, but when 1/2 the threads in OT have to do with what type of car you should buy or what motor to swap, it becomes a bit ridiculous. To answer your question, if I were buying a new car, I would get a 1990-1993 240sx fastback and build it up completely, or buy a 1995-1998 lexus sc300 and turbo it...

Not trying to be an @ss, just suggesting you do a bit more research before asking questions.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
IALuder

^ agrees kind of.

i choose 240

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:30 AM   #5
silver

so were you then referring to an si the whole time in your type-r thread? and a cheap skyline is non-existant for it to be legal. yeah i could have gotten an r32 for 12k, but what would i do with it? look at it? cheapest skylines that are street legal go for a minimum of 30k, and thats the r32 gt-s. an r34 gtr is upwards of a 100k. and then comparing a wrx for example to a 240? even with a swap for the 240 and buildup your still looking at 10-15k less than a wrx, how do these fall into the same category? what is your budget? start there and then move on.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:41 AM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by silver
so were you then referring to an si the whole time in your type-r thread? and a cheap skyline is non-existant for it to be legal. yeah i could have gotten an r32 for 12k, but what would i do with it? look at it? cheapest skylines that are street legal go for a minimum of 30k, and thats the r32 gt-s. an r34 gtr is upwards of a 100k. and then comparing a wrx for example to a 240? even with a swap for the 240 and buildup your still looking at 10-15k less than a wrx, how do these fall into the same category? what is your budget? start there and then move on.

exactly.... whats your budget? and for the skylines.... thats a bit mroe involved than just buying it off ebay

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:00 AM   #7
MAXed Out
6th Gear

didn't u already get a that blue civic hatch? Or u just have money and don't know what to do with it? but i would go for the 300zx!
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by Acura_86
didn't u already get a that blue civic hatch? Or u just have money and don't know what to do with it? but i would go for the 300zx!

Yea I thought you got that blue thing already.. I vote to keep your car.. why sell it? If you are going to get something else I vote for a classic car that will hold its value other than something that you will throw 1000's of $ into and be worth the same as you orig. bought it for in the end.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
Civickid0to60

alright first of all i had a bad bad bad day, so highlander, you really picked the wrong day for me to reply.

First off you dont ****ing know me. And as for the rest of you if you actually read the other posts in the other sections you would know that my boss wants to put the sponsors of our shop all over the blue hatch. I dont want that, and if i dont he'll get pissed, so, its lose my job or drive a billboard.

Second, highlander, you have been dogging on me the last couple of posts and again, you dont ****ing know me. I do research into what kind of cars i can afford and what can be done to them. But tech specs. are hard to find around here, i live in bum**** so i cant just go do more research. The internet, for me, is like an endless sea of bullshit, most of the things i see are untrue or told by some dumbass who has no clue what they are talking about. Yea, i have a lot of ideas for a lot of different cars, SO? is that not everyone in these forums? And wtf do you think these forums are for? Dating? No, they are to ask questions, and they are to share information. So WTF are you bitching about man.

I dont know you either but you obviously, either you or your parents, are obviously not lacking in cash either. And its not like i have money just to be thrown around, I have done research, is it so bad that I want other tuners opinions? Maybe some former owners of the car im looking at? Or maybe they know someone who has them? If i call any used car dealership or anyone on ebay they will just tell me what they want me to hear. So i'm getting direct feedback. Is that so ****ing bad that you have to *****?

And again, if you read some damn posts maybe you would see, that i have gotten screwed over on a lot of my "soon to be" cars. A LOT of them obviously. So now I myself am looking to buy from someone who isnt gonna screw me over, and i want a little ******* help to find out where to go, maybe even what to buy.
And all the cars up there i obviously can afford or they wouldnt be up there, so those are the cars that are in my budget that i am thinking about buying. All i want if for my question to be answered, not to be bitched at or ragged on by a complete stranger.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Wait, so you're going to ditch the car you just got?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #11
Civickid0to60

i didnt just get it, i bought it when i started my job. Like a month or two ago, i was gone from the forums awhile.

So we worked on it and now my boss wants it, he hasnt come right out and said it but he keeps hinting it. so yes in a word. i shouldnt have asked him to make it a project car. Basically we got a bunch of sponsors gimme the paint parts etc... so techinqually i AM implied to place the stickers every which way.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
Civickid0to60

now this isnt for hampstead autobody, i just do their website, this is for another shop hampstead performance in town.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #13
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I'd just put the stickers on as tastefully as possible (if its possible , maybe down the door) and keep the car.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:09 PM   #14
DMH-Performance

For all cars that are stock, the WRX is the best way to go. I would choose the 240sx if it had a SR20DET
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 PM   #15
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I voted for the wrx...
the 240 is a nice choice too...just not the way of the future
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:38 AM   #16
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

WRX.... AWD > RWD/FWD
Old 02-14-2004, 07:52 AM   #17
CRXMimic
Parked

I don't know much about the modification world of WRX's, but while I agree, AWD>RWD/FWD, if you really want to make this car your own the 240 would be great. Not that there are too many original things to do, but I think the S15 front end conversion with the SR20DET is a thing of beauty. As far as I know there aren't very many outward appearance modifications besides kitting or fabricating for WRX's, and I haven't really heard of any swaps. But I don't frequent any WRX's forums or pages so I really wouldn't know. I chose 240.

If anybody has some sort of links to awesome modded WRX's, I would love to see them and it would probably even change my opinion.
CRXMimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:55 PM   #18
Civickid0to60

Quote:
Originally posted by CRXMimic
I don't know much about the modification world of WRX's, but while I agree, AWD>RWD/FWD, if you really want to make this car your own the 240 would be great. Not that there are too many original things to do, but I think the S15 front end conversion with the SR20DET is a thing of beauty. As far as I know there aren't very many outward appearance modifications besides kitting or fabricating for WRX's, and I haven't really heard of any swaps. But I don't frequent any WRX's forums or pages so I really wouldn't know. I chose 240.

If anybody has some sort of links to awesome modded WRX's, I would love to see them and it would probably even change my opinion.

although, the "mighty sr20det" is a great engine no doubt...i personally would rather go with the RB25DET

But consider this, the tranny in an AWD. Its not just a matter of knowing if it is going to be shot, just a matter of when its going to be shot. Plus, AWD only works off the line, and that is from a HUGE AWD fan. Trust me my talon tsi whooped ass, but the stock 300zx tt has got 300 hp, i would rather spend 10 grand on getting a 300z tt, then 32 grand on a sti. But here is another question i pose to you all, i dont know much about subarus, but, what is the diff. between the models of them? The RS, LS, Blibbity blah blah. i have no clue.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #19
nonovurbizniz

As far as the models for sub... It's all trim b.s. they all come with a 2.5 now as far as I know... the WRX is the only turbo'd one...

The axels are weak as hell and I've heard the trannies aren't much better...

Get a AWD talon and convert it to RWD... then get a buschur racing engine... CF driveshaft, suspension, upgrade turbo and fuel... that thing will rip 9's if you put like 10-15k into it...

And it will be semi-original as not many convert to RWD...

Oh and as far as the 240 goes... getting one and swapping the stock 2.4 for a 2.0 cuz it's got a popular name... is REDICULOUS... for the money you spend on the swap alone you could have twice the power out of the stock motor... There's NOTHING dumber than downsizing displacement... it makes me sad to think of all the 240's that are really just 200's now.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:30 AM   #20
Civickid0to60

the RB25 is the skyline motor...

but yea thats why i put the "might sr20det" in quotes, cause it isnt that much mightier then most cars stock motors.

As for the talon, i had a tsi awd, and it hauled ass, but, again, the trannies, and plus, i am not gonna have enough money intially to mod the shit outta it like the rwd conversion. My friend did it to his talon, and it does blow things away more then before.

But, I think my decision as of now is the 300zx tt, so many options in modification and i just love the way it looks.

Now, I am suprised that no one voted for the SRT-4. They are probably one of THE most if not THE most stable AWD systems out there, i test drove one and the thing is insane. one of my co-workers bought one, and runs it hard all the time, and nothign has gone wrong with it, the oil is barely burnt up.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #21
CRXMimic
Parked

I'm almost positive that the SRT-4 is FWD, not AWD....if that changes anything....I've heard they are amazing though. Haven't ridden in one yet.

Specs...
http://www.engine-power.com/dodge/neon_srt4.html
CRXMimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #22
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by CRXMimic
I'm almost positive that the SRT-4 is FWD, not AWD....if that changes anything....I've heard they are amazing though. Haven't ridden in one yet.

Specs...
http://www.engine-power.com/dodge/neon_srt4.html

Holly crap... I think he's right...

I always thought they were AWD... but I searched google. dodge's site road&track car&driver and there's NO mention of it being AWD...

I was sure it was though... I don't get it.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #23
vtracer20

YES NO ONE VOTED THE SRT-4>>>AHAHHAHA POS.....anyways....a new wrx are nice, my buddy at work gots a none tubro 300zx with alot of engine work done to it and it halls ass so i'm sure the twin T's will hall even more ass. GO FOR IT
Old 02-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #24
Civickid0to60

^^^ wow thats a suprise to me. But i dont think those stats are correct, i will check into it.

PS, if you think an SRT-4 is a POS u are an idiot. I test drove one the other day, and it is insane. One of the, if not the, fastest cars ive driven.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #25
guywithastang

It is still a neon.

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #26
Civickid0to60

still a neon, but one that can whip some ass, i thought you mustang drivers didnt care bout looks...guess you do have a soft side. hehe.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #27
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

hes right those neons are pretty darn quick for being a neon.. id go and buy one if i wanted to. but to choose for cars u seem like u dont know what u wana do like u said about a motor and whats this thing about putting stickers on ur car? who do u work for that you have to do this for??

Last edited by C's 94 InTeGrA : 02-20-2004 at 07:50 PM.
C's 94 InTeGrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #28
guywithastang

Camaros are fast too, doesnt mean they aren't gay.

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #29
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

well them defs arent gay.. i am about this close to buying one.. and i love them along with firebirds and stuff
Old 02-21-2004, 03:30 AM   #30
silver

regarding 240: ka24 vs. sr20 is a horrible comparison. there is no way that you could build a ka to handle the output of a mildly modded det regardless of form. even the de version of the sr20 would murder the ka. it's a truck motor put into a freakin sports car, it has no top end, it has no bottom end, a big accomplishment with that motor is getting it to lay down 200whp n/a. you can turbo it but with only minimal boost before it goes to shit. sorry but swapping out the ka is a necessity. as for putting in an rb, well it's been done quite a bit, throws the weight off a little. might as well go rb26 for the twin turbo if your going to go with an rb series. not any bigger or heavier and has unlimited potential. just whatever you do don't even think about a vg30 swap, motor is horseshit.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:09 AM   #31
Civickid0to60

Quote:
Originally posted by silver
regarding 240: ka24 vs. sr20 is a horrible comparison. there is no way that you could build a ka to handle the output of a mildly modded det regardless of form. even the de version of the sr20 would murder the ka. it's a truck motor put into a freakin sports car, it has no top end, it has no bottom end, a big accomplishment with that motor is getting it to lay down 200whp n/a. you can turbo it but with only minimal boost before it goes to shit. sorry but swapping out the ka is a necessity. as for putting in an rb, well it's been done quite a bit, throws the weight off a little. might as well go rb26 for the twin turbo if your going to go with an rb series. not any bigger or heavier and has unlimited potential. just whatever you do don't even think about a vg30 swap, motor is horseshit.

2 things....

First, I agree with the 240 remark about having to swap the Ka24, i just would never even think about putting the SR20DET in. Why? Because like you said it is an accomplishment to make it push 200 hp. And by that time if your motor isnt reinforced guess what, if you dont have a rocker blocker that motor is gonna go very very quickly with SOMETHING shooting throgh it. Those motors are infamous for throwing rods at high RPM. As for the RB26, it is illegal in 50 states. Or so I have heard somewhere. I may be wrong. And I would never touch a Vg30 swap ever.EVER.

I am really considering the still the 300zx, and the SRT-4. I would say I wanted a WRX, but, I really wasn't impressed by them, the only one I would really consider would be the STi which is way way way way way pricey. I could get a TT supra with that money. But, regardless, the SRT-4 seems to me like its more bang for your buck. Looks can always be changed. But you gotta admit it does look better then its predecessors.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #32
MegaDON

I think the 240's are going to get played out, you don't see alot of 300z's
Old 02-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #33
silver

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
As for the RB26, it is illegal in 50 states. Or so I have heard somewhere. I may be wrong.

no more than a jdm b16 is. as for the srt-4...the car is killer, i think the only problem with it is its name, its a neon. but take that for what you will, it just has a negative stigma to it, especially with people like us who are fans of import cars. the 300zx would end up costing the most out of all the cars most likely. the most expensive parts plus the fact that it's a 6 as opposed to a 4. just a more expensive motor to build. do the math with the z and compare it to the srt-4 then. but i assure you if you take all things into consideration the srt-4 will be cheaper. starting to sound like you're making your mind up, happy driving with the neon. should be a good buy, haven't heard any negatives about it yet. but i haven't paid any attention to it either.