User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
cashizslick

Convince me not to do this!!!!!

Project Stang y0

Guys, i need some convincing.

All my friends have fricken mustangs and they run low 14's high 13's with I/E/H and 373 gears.

I am seriously thinking of getting a 89 Notchback for $2k and dumping 2k more $ into it and having a quick car.

What do you think????
Old 02-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
blind34_1

why do you not want to do this? It looks like you've already got a quick honda, why not start another project? You'd make some impressive power (I'm assuming you're talking about a 5.0 v8). It's not every day you see someone with a modded stang and civic in their garage.

Oh...but you wanted to be unconvinced....ok: don't do that, its just another black hole for money. Why do you want to do what all of your friends are doing? Why not work a little more on the car you've got? you could put it into 13's with some work.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Wren57

2k car + 2k mods = quick car... OR turbo that biatch
Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
Kyle
elyK

i say go for it man!
it's be a fun project...plus you'd see what goes on on the "dark side"

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:16 AM   #5
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
i say go for it man!
it's be a fun project...plus you'd see what goes on on the "dark side"

Mustang is the easiest car in the world to make fast.. 5/0 that is. With 2k NA you can run high 12s prob. Add a blower to that and you have 11s. A 14 second 5.0 is slow. 13 second is standard.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:00 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I'm with these guys. Fox bodied ('79-'93) Mustangs became popular with enthusiasts for one reason...they're insanely easy to mod and they respond very well to those mods. With $2K you could very well be running high 12s with the right parts...it's all a matter of knowing what to mod. An '89 notch would respond VERY well to exhaust, an intake, cam, and heads. Depending on who's doing the work that's around $2K in parts. Plus you'll find that Mustangs have an insane aftermarket. Everything from billet interior pieces to twin turbo kits. I remember seeing notchbacks with bone stock motors and modded suspensions running super high 12s (like 12.9s). Hell...3.73 gears alone are worth around .3-.5 seconds in the 1/4 vs. stock.

But then again...reasons not to do it...it's not a Honda so if you don't know domestics someone else will probably have to do the work. Also beware that it'll be much easier to work on since you've got more space...that's always a problem. Oh, and if you turbo it you'll have to deal with the insane power it makes. Other than that you should be fine.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:38 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

turbo the b16
you'll have way more fun with that...

neck snapping torque is only so much fun imo...boost is way more addictive
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:45 AM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

we all know a civic with intake exhaust clear corners and altezzas is the shiat add an offensive body kit to it and yuou have the fastest car on the planet. spoiler is mandatory jfwy

but seriously that would be a fun project to do, plus mustangs have a lot more hidden power

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
MAXed Out
6th Gear

I would go for the stang bro. But not neglect the civic . I think it would be a fun project and it's always fun to try something new.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:07 AM   #10
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
turbo the b16

Take the stang, with a nice intake.. cobra or above, larger throttle body, injectors, alum heads, headers, CAI and you have 12s easy. Add a turbo or sc and you will have 11s maybe 10s depending. Mustangs are actually one of the few cars you can get into 10s without nitrous, and still have it driveable. Even have heard of 9-8 second "streetable" ones.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Civic or Stang... Screw the civic...Take the stang! RWD Rawks!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
turbo the b16

I'm with V8 on this...plus I fail to see how a B16 would be a lot more fun than an engine with twice the power in half the mods. As for neck snapping torque vs. boost...can't it be both? I took a bunch of years and slowly built the car up...that's the way you've gotta do a Mustang. Start slow...take part of that $2K and buy an intake and headers, a 2 1/2" H-pipe, and some mufflers (I like the Dynomax Super Turbos for sound and price, but if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket Bassanni and Borla make amazing mufflers) and then just wait for a while and get a feel for the car while you save some more money. Also, many shops like exhaust places can be bargained with. I had my whole exhaust system (1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" H-pipe, and mufflers) installed and welded up for a little over $100 and a case of beer. This won't work at Midas...but a lot of the out-of-the-way independent shops are cool like that. When the engine was being built I had a friend who worked at Krispy Kream. I'd stop in every morning to see how everything was going and I'd take the guys donuts and they gave me a bit of a price break just for that. Lastly, know what you want as an end result. I started with an idea in my head about 4 years ago and slowly worked up to it. Now I can run low 10s on street tires, drive the car every day if I want to, and I still get that turbo sound. Show me a Civic that'll do that.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 02-05-2004, 01:37 PM   #13
AzCivic

take the 4 grand your gonna blow on a mustang which is assuming theres no work that needs to be done to get it up to par, big assumption imo. anyway take the 4 grand and turbo the b16 and make at the very least 250-300wheel hp which is good for low ass 12's even high 11's.

instead of having a beat down mustang running high 13's.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #14
pdiggitydogg

^thats my point
I just forgot to say it [whoops]
Old 02-05-2004, 02:31 PM   #15
guywithastang

If you can take 4 grand and make 300 hp on a honda I will eat my hat . a turbo dosen't create 100% hp increase. sorry to burst that bubble I have never had a problem beating a turbo civic. Had a turbo integra keep up with me once. and this is with my "slow" 98 gt.

You say VTEC, I say V-8

Last edited by guywithastang : 02-05-2004 at 02:41 PM.
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #16
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

anyone have any pics of clean looking fox bodys... every "fast" one ive seen was torn to shit on the outside or track bound(stickers and other stuff not intented for street cars) im considering this, and well... how good the car can look has a huge huge influence over what i pick.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:44 PM   #17
guywithastang

Pick up an issue of 5.0 or muscle mustangs. I no longer have a computer at home so I cant help with the pics

You say VTEC, I say V-8
Old 02-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #18
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by guywithastang
If you can take 4 grand and make 300 hp on a honda I will eat my hat .

Yes, but who really needs a 300hp fwd car?
It wouldnt be that hard w/ an h22 or maybe b20
Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #19
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
anyone have any pics of clean looking fox bodys... every "fast" one ive seen was torn to shit on the outside or track bound(stickers and other stuff not intented for street cars) im considering this, and well... how good the car can look has a huge huge influence over what i pick.

The pics aren't too great...taken on a shitty disposable camera and scanned on a crappy scanner...but here's basically what my "4 eyed" (4 headlights...pre-87) Mustang looked like as of around 1 1/2 years ago.

Keep in mind I'm not big on exterior mods...the only changes to the outside were the wheels and the Cobra spoiler (which wouldn't be there had a guy not dinged my car in a parking lot and cracked the original spoiler). Coming next....lake pipes!

Old 02-05-2004, 03:15 PM   #20
guywithastang

Quote:
Yes, but who really needs a 300hp fwd car?
It wouldnt be that hard w/ an h22 or maybe b20

True, but then you have blown your budget on an engine swap. Plus a custom turbo system costs more than a prefab.

You say VTEC, I say V-8
Old 02-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #21
pdiggitydogg

but he already spent the money on the swap...so it isnt a factor in his case
a custom turbo could be built less than a kit...very possible
Old 02-05-2004, 03:26 PM   #22
guywithastang

I thought cashiz's car had a b16? Or are we talkin Chris' lude?

You say VTEC, I say V-8
Old 02-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #23
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by guywithastang
If you can take 4 grand and make 300 hp on a honda I will eat my hat . a turbo dosen't create 100% hp increase. sorry to burst that bubble I have never had a problem beating a turbo civic. Had a turbo integra keep up with me once. and this is with my "slow" 98 gt.

are you hungry? how can you say a turbo doesnt create a 100% increase in hp!?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:29 PM   #24
pdiggitydogg

we're talking either one i guess...but i actually meant the b16
It would be easy to make 300hp (yet easier to use a b18 or b20)

I could even show you video of b20's in the low 13's and high 12's
Old 02-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #25
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

A turbo will only double power numbers if the pressure reaching the engine is 14.7psi and assuming good adiabatic efficiency. Not many of the kits I see for Hondas are built to run more than 8 or 9psi...but then again I haven't looked too hard. I don't see your run of the mill basic kit doubling the hp of any of those engines. Even some of the better street turbo kits out there for V8s won't do that. You're looking at somewhere between 60%-80% power gain. So you could spend $3K+ on a 300hp turbo'ed Civic or a few hundred on a 300hp N/A V8 that has a LOT more potential for power.

Last edited by GT40FIED : 02-05-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:52 PM   #26
guywithastang

Quote:
we're talking either one i guess...but i actually meant the b16
It would be easy to make 300hp (yet easier to use a b18 or b20)

I could even show you video of b20's in the low 13's and high 12's

I do not doubt you one bit, but I think the idea is potential and cost effectiveness. Remember, the mustang started the high performance fuel injection movement. Thats got to be good for something.

I also meant to say a turbo alone does not increase hp 100%. If you try you tend to get a little oil on the track

You say VTEC, I say V-8

Last edited by guywithastang : 02-05-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #27
pdiggitydogg

the kits that say 8-9psi are meant for stock engines, probably not even intercooled
Just for example, the edelbrock civic kit (t28) maxes out @ 20psi (1.4 bar)
anyway thats 283hp ON A D16 (http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=5173)

the greddy kit for the d16y8 is good "up to 300Whp" but we all know manufacturers like greddy (trustworthy) are going to downplay the actual numbers

Its easy to get 300hp

oh and Im not dissing mustangs...Im more mature than that. My absolute favorite old school muscle car is the mid60's fastback...meaning I like the new 05 GT too
Old 02-05-2004, 07:03 PM   #28
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
the greddy kit for the d16y8 is good "up to 300Whp" but we all know manufacturers like greddy (trustworthy) are going to downplay the actual numbers

I think by "up to" they mean how much power the kit will support with other mods if it's maxed out. There's no possible way for a turbo of that size to produce a 263% power improvement without running insane (and by insane I mean impossible) psi. If it could push more cfm and slightly lowered the psi then maybe...but then the engine probably wouldn't spool a turbo that big. I've got a friend that's running a Procharger D-1R blower on his '86 Capri w/ an injected 389...now Procharger lists the hp capabilities of the D-1R at 1200hp. Does that mean the Capri is making 1200hp? Nooooo...more like 800hp or so. It's all advertising hyperbole.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #29
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

my fatehr comands a soy farm ^_^
Old 02-05-2004, 07:53 PM   #30
cashizslick

[dilemma]..................................[/dilemma]
Old 02-05-2004, 08:18 PM   #31
guywithastang

I am just glad you didnt say camaro

You say VTEC, I say V-8
Old 02-05-2004, 08:30 PM   #32
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

^^I wanted to say that, but I didn't wanna be "that" guy. Hmmm...Camaro...who makes that? Can't seem to find a price for an '04 model. Hehe

Old 02-05-2004, 08:31 PM   #33
pdiggitydogg

agreed

No,of course i wasnt saying that 300 doesnt come without other crap (a whole lot in that case). Just pointing it out.
Again it just goes back to no one needing (or wanting) a street fwd car w/ 300hp
200 is juuuuust fine

My issue on anything is always going to be cost related
"Does the price justify the means?"
He already has a really nice starting block and the car doesnt seem to have cancer so why not spend the money on the civic and make it fast, rather than buy an entire vehicle, spend money on fixing it first and THEN making it fast?

Cost for cost really outweighs power for power IMHO

EDIT**Just a little side note about GM. A good friend of the family is a GM corporate executive (how high? he gets up to 4 new cars per month and doesnt pay a dime...even tax). Once, when he got piss drunk, he told me that he was glad I didnt drive a GM POS..."Those bastards design the engine wiring harness to only last 5 F**king yrs...Don't ever get a gm car outside of lease"
Interesting little tidbit, eh?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:39 PM   #34
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

to get my car to ~280 fwhp i'd need at least 3500..... then i might run 12's

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #35
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
to get my car to ~280 fwhp i'd need at least 3500..... then i might run 12's

And then the CV joints grenade. Lol...j/k

I understand what yer sayin Pdigs...Why buy another car when you've already got one you can mod, right? I can respect that but a Mustang and a Civic are two different beasts. I've driven a few heavily modified Hondas (I/E/H/turbo/electronics) and, while they're quick and kind of fun to drive, none of them have compared to the brute power of even a decently modifed N/A V8, let alone a car like mine. Honestly though, if I had to buy another car right now (damnit I hate my Slownoma), I'd do the opposite of what Cash is talking about. Keep the death machine (the 'Stang) and buy a Civic or Accord as a beater. *sigh*...hindsight is such a b!tch.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #36
pdiggitydogg

Oh for sure man...Ive driven super torque-y mustangs that threw my entire body into the back seat
It was a lot of fun!
But...and maybe its just personal preference...I like driving my honda better
Plus its cheaper (now....)
Old 02-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #37
cashizslick

Ya, but RWD tire melting is where its at y0!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #38
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Ya, but RWD tire melting is where its at y0!

Damn, straight brotha! My hondas the perfect daily driver... but man it would be so nice to have a RWD tire shredding V8 when I feel rowdy.

But then again.. Thats personal preference.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:17 AM   #39
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Damn, straight brotha! My hondas the perfect daily driver... but man it would be so nice to have a RWD tire shredding V8 when I feel rowdy.

Actually I believe it's proven fact.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #40
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

X-Actly