::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
idontdriveauto

H22 in 95 civic

Ditching the classic B swap, I think that an H would be nice. An h22a with 200hp sounds better than a 180 hp B. I was just wanting to know if anyone here has done it and how hard it was.. I know that the compressor mounting in is a problem and a special bracket would have to be purchased, (rerun all lines and have to put a hole in car for the cable shifting) but overall, how is it? i would love some pictures, i have only seen this swap in an accord in person, but I want it in my civic..... No point in trying to talk me into a B, they are nice and easier I know, but i want the H. anythihng to watch out for? thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:29 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

read: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0309ht_swap/

be ready for all kinds of stupid problems
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
idontdriveauto

read it..... is there not any way to get power steering? iv seen a pic of a compressor mounted on with a custom belt length, but i would think the power steering would be needed for my daily driver.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg

you dont need ps...its not THAT hard
Im not too sure if it is possible though...not too sure if its impossible either
Old 12-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #5
idontdriveauto

well, i have only driven one civic without power steering and it was a pain and a half to turn around, pretty tight.... im not too sure about it... is there any way to turn off power steering to test out what it would feel like????? I think that since my wheels like to pull my steering wheel very easily because of the small side wall, (when i hit a hole or something) not having power steering would fix that... maybee increase power too.....??
Old 12-17-2003, 02:04 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

just take the belt off your ps pump

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
just take the belt off
Old 12-17-2003, 03:21 PM   #8
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by idontdriveauto
well, i have only driven one civic without power steering and it was a pain and a half to turn around, pretty tight.... im not too sure about it... is there any way to turn off power steering to test out what it would feel like????? I think that since my wheels like to pull my steering wheel very easily because of the small side wall, (when i hit a hole or something) not having power steering would fix that... maybee increase power too.....??

yes u can get power steering to bolt up if u use the HASPORT and the Place Racing mount kits
Old 12-17-2003, 03:29 PM   #9
Honda_Tengoku

Re: H22 in 95 civic

Quote:
Ditching the classic B swap, I think that an H would be nice. An h22a with 200hp sounds better than a 180 hp B. I was just wanting to know if anyone here has done it and how hard it was.. I know that the compressor mounting in is a problem and a special bracket would have to be purchased, (rerun all lines and have to put a hole in car for the cable shifting) but overall, how is it? i would love some pictures, i have only seen this swap in an accord in person, but I want it in my civic..... No point in trying to talk me into a B, they are nice and easier I know, but i want the H. anythihng to watch out for? thanks guys.

Your in luck man! I am about to do my H22 swap myself!! I have done lots of research and talked to companies like HASPORTS and Place Racing, and first hand experiences from a friend to get my info as well as some from the net. It is very expensive to do but u just cant beat the torque these engines put down! Simple as that. HASPORTS has a 5th Gen Civic H/B that they installed an H22. Bone stock with drag radials the car ran 13.40's!!! Absolutely incredible! Anyways the things u have to take into consideration is the weight of the H22 over the little D series engine. It is quite a bit heavier, but its not just the weight, its where its at. THe engine sits very far forward, which makes good for dragging, and not so good cornering, but with proper weight reduction in the front of the car, and spring rates on some good coilovers u should come away with a good handling car!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
Honda_Tengoku

anyways this is what I need so far that I am aware of and where I am getting it from and how much it is costing me...

93-95 JDM Prelude Type S engine, ECU, tranny, and shifter cables.
-Its best to stay with OBDI stuff cuz of tuning ability. The Prelude Type S and Type SH (stay away from these engines though) engines produce 220HP, and all the other H22 engines produce 190 to 200 HP depending on which one u get. The Prelude usues shifter cables and the Civic uses linkages so u will need the Lude cables (obviously). All this for me is $1700.

HASPORTS mount kit
-Self explanatory. $650
HASPORTS CV axles
-The H22 in a civic need modified axles to fit in the Civic. $400
Place Racing Shifter assembly
-to go with your shifter cables u will need to install a shifter assembly that will work. Here u can use the Prelude assembly but U will have to cut out the transmission tunnel and drill holes for the new assembly or Place racing has a bolt in kit for about $300.
Prelude throttle cable
- I am getting one from the local Honda Dealer for about $20.
ECU adapter
-The H22 ECU will not plug up to the existing wiring harness, so an adapter is needed. The price I believe is about $230 from HASPORTS.
electric fan
-The H22 will not fit with a stock Honda Civic fan. So u can get a slim line type of fan, or I have heard u can modify the stock one, Its up to U. U can get these for about $100 at places like Summit Racing. Personally I am going with the new fan.
O2 sensor
-pretty much a given. I dont like to use old ones, cuz who knows the conditions of them. I have purchase them for about $60 a pop off the web before. U would just have to research to find the right price.
wiring
-I am sending my old D16 wiring harness and my H22 wiring harness to HASPORTS to build me the harness. It will cost about $300 to have it built. U can do it yourself with all the proper wiring diagrams, but I hate messing with wiring. This is just me being lazy and wanting just plug and play.
resistor box (if needed)
-U should not need this unless u do a 97+ H22 swap with an OBD1 ECU. The reason being is that 97+ Prelude H22's use high impedance injectors (saturated), and the OBD1 H22 ECU is set up to run low impedance injectors (peak and hold). I am not needing this part so I dont know the price on one of these things.
suspension
-unfortunately I am still working on the proper spring rates for my car. Your best bet is to call a reputable company like TEIN or H&R and see what they reccomend for custom spring rates for your setup. I wouldnt call Eibach. I already called them. They have no clue. Good luck in reserching on this. A good coil over will set u back about 1200 from modacar. I would use front and rear upper strut bars atleast cuz with a heavier engine the chassis will flex more, and it is a good idea to increase the rigidy of the Civic with this engine (in my opinion). U can find these almost anywhere, but I am going to run the Neuspeed front and rear strut bars for about $300 or so from Modacar.
weight reduction
-u dont have to do these weight reduction things, these are just my opinion here. But I am going to run a carbon fiber hood, batter relocation kit (to the trunk), DC Sports 4-2-1 headers (much lighter than cast, and gives good performance), heat shields removed in the front, splash guards removed in the front, and the bumper removed in the front. This is all just a start for me. U can find the headers at Modacar for about $300 dollars.
exhaust
-So far from my reseach no exhaust system will bolt up to this engine, so u will have to either buy an exhaust system and have a muffler shop build u a pipe to extend it, or have a muffler shop custom build an exhaust for u with mandrel bent tubing. I am using the custom 2.5" exhaust (from a muffler shop) with Magnaflow Bullet for the resignator, and a universal magnaflow muffler. With everything this is running me about $350.

my total so far is $5,910 so this swap is not cheap. Granted I could have gone cheaper on some things, but this is what I am doing. Hope this Helped.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

I do agree with the PS tho. My teg didnt have the power steering. That was a f**king pain in the a$$ to drive and park. I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. My power steering is back on. I scored a whole PS system from a Teg typeR for $75.

If you want torque, you should never have bought a Honda..... or just turbo a B18B......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:31 PM   #12
AzCivic

i dont think i saw money set aside for maintenance items like clutch, seals, belts, etc...
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:32 PM   #13
Honda530

Hey man I see your from atl, so am i, anywho Have you though of getting a b20z bottom and addinga b16 or b18 head on it. its going to be similiar to the h22a power wise, but you wont be getting some of the problems that you would get with teh h22a.
Sure that swap has its own problems but it is an option that many people take.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:35 AM   #14
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
i dont think i saw money set aside for maintenance items like clutch, seals, belts, etc...

no u didnt man. I just put all that in for what is needed just for the swap and my personal opinion in reclaiming the handling characteristics. Obviously the H22 swap will come as a whole and have the factory clutch and flywheel on it as all the belts and seals. Obviously I agree that certain mainanence things should be changed while the engine is out of the car, but is not required. Personally I am setting money aside for these things as well as more performance modifications. I will be changing plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, timing belt, timming belt tensioner and spring, clutch, flywheel, vacuum hoses, radiator hoses, and of course other little things that I require here and there...
Old 12-18-2003, 10:47 AM   #15
Honda_Tengoku

rack and pinions designed to work without power assist have different ratio's lock to lock than power assist rack's. Obviously the rack and pinion will have a larger ratio on a non-power assist and therefore take more turns lock to lock than a power assisted rack. My CX non-power assisted rack works just fine, but I wouldnt even dream of driving say an EX Civic with the belt taken off!
Ohh for all u autocrossers out there, I would not use the non-power assist rack 'n' pinion setups cuz its a BI$CH trying to get that car around the track. Trust me. I have raced SCCA for two years with my CX Civic and I dont have the turning speed that I needed at the speeds my suspension will handle. Especially in the slaloms! No matter how hard or fast u rip your arms back and forth, u still cant drive as fast as a properly setup suspension will handle.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:25 PM   #16
nonovurbizniz

Just taking the belt off leaves all the fluid there and it still has to loop through the pump... be it runing or not...

If you "loop" the powersteering lines and runs slightly less fluid it will not turn as hard and it will have a better ratio for track use...

Quaife was supposed to be making a manual rack with a decent ratio for civics but I'm not sure if it ever materialized... or if it did it was expensive.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:21 PM   #17
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
no u didnt man. I just put all that in for what is needed just for the swap and my personal opinion in reclaiming the handling characteristics. Obviously the H22 swap will come as a whole and have the factory clutch and flywheel on it as all the belts and seals. Obviously I agree that certain mainanence things should be changed while the engine is out of the car, but is not required. Personally I am setting money aside for these things as well as more performance modifications. I will be changing plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, timing belt, timming belt tensioner and spring, clutch, flywheel, vacuum hoses, radiator hoses, and of course other little things that I require here and there...

AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:48 PM   #18
idontdriveauto

well, i am sad to say that this dream will be put on hold. My car was hit today at my friends house, by his younger brother who can't even drive, leaving me with a fender, axle, rims and tire, and alignment problems to fix. they will be fixed, i am not worrying about that, but everything else is put on hold.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:31 PM   #19
sohc_vtec 2NR

that sux man.... for some reason this always happens to people that have plans for their car..
Old 12-18-2003, 09:45 PM   #20
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
well, i am sad to say that this dream will be put on hold. My car was hit today at my friends house, by his younger brother who can't even drive, leaving me with a fender, axle, rims and tire, and alignment problems to fix. they will be fixed, i am not worrying about that, but everything else is put on hold.

That sux man.... sorry to hear that....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote