::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
97CivicBoy

wats the point of....

hookin up an automatic car..i kno ppl do that..i think its pointles...i myself have an automatic and all i have is a stereo...i think its pointless to hook one up performance wise...the exhaust just sounds dumb with an auto...ppl should just hook up their autos for looks...what do u guys think??
97CivicBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

*yawn* Depends on the kind of car. Some autos are faster than manuals.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

^

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
Daviso27
3rd Gear

I understand where you are coming from, but remember, true dragsters are 3 or 4 speed autos'.....I got an auto->w/performance mods...It is not the fastest car on the block, but me and her have been known for wupinsumass!
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:10 PM   #5
black95gs-t

When did the transmission start having anything to do with exhaust note? Anyway If you are big into bracket racing, auto's are the king. People hook up auto's because they are much more consistent. In a manual, human error can account for a big difference in times. In an auto, computer error is much, much, much smaller. Just my $0.02
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:39 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well it's not pointless at all. i drive an automatic and i really like it. for a $500 upgrade in the tq converter you can spank manuals any day ( given you are going for a car with the same specs as yours)

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 PM   #7
Anotherslo1

I have also seen some fast automatic imports. BUT I STILL PREFER A MANUAL
Old 12-07-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah, manuals still rule, but i wouldn't rule out a car just because it is an automatic.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:45 PM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

What's the point of an automatic? Consistency, power handling, torque multiplication, ease of use, etc. Do you have any idea how much money I'd have to throw into a manual transmission to handle my my car's power level? Then I'd have to dump a shitload into a hardcore clutch and pray it held on. And as has already been pointed out, it's hard to mess up shifting an automatic...put it in drive and let the valve body and/or computer do the rest. If you're racing and you miss a gear it's over for you unless the cars are horribly mismatched as far as power goes. Manuals are great for medium power cars in the 350-450hp range (even then you need upgrades) especially if you wanna go SOLO, SOLO II, SCCA, etc. racing because you can choose your gears but with a manual valve body an automatic can do the same thing and handle more power. If you want a big power manual, expect to pay between $3K-$5K for a Jerico or the like and then you'll have noisy straight cut gears and dog gears which means you'll have to learn to double clutch on every shift (something that's entirely pointless with a stock synchro equipped transmission). As for exhaust note...I haven't the slightest clue what you mean by an automatic sounding different than a manual car. The only difference would be most people rev manuals higher than automatics before shifting...but that's a driver thing. Even then, if you stand on the loud pedal hard enough a good automatic will rev almost until redline. It's all about preference but if you still insist automatics are inferior then we'll line up see whose car is faster...my automatic or your manual.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #10
Civickid0to60

for a $500 upgrade in the tq converter you can spank manuals any day ( given you are going for a car with the same specs as yours)

k dude and your fairly new here, but if you didnt know, i have an automatic and i take a lot of offense to it when people dog my car cause of its tranny. First of all, if you turbo an automatic, or supercharge it like i did...there is no loss of boost, and no missed gears. I understand where your coming from because of the loss of hp throguh the drivetrain.....yea its only a loss if you dont do anything to the engine. :-\, put it this way, ive raced it over 30 times now, and i have only lost twice, once to a galant vr4 with a frank 4 turbo, and an eclipse gsx with nitrous.... what more do you want?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:54 PM   #11
Civickid0to60

oh and btw, i love gt40fied.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:56 PM   #12
Civickid0to60

Quote:
Originally posted by Daviso27
I understand where you are coming from, but remember, true dragsters are 3 or 4 speed autos'.....I got an auto->w/performance mods...It is not the fastest car on the block, but me and her have been known for wupinsumass!

not true, dragsters have a auto pump tranny, diff. from a normal, all they do is squeeze this little handle. it coo! ive been in an indy car, and its so weird in there....

ps.....i know a lot of you arent into this....im not really either, but i will be supporting ford and honda at the indy 500 this year! w00t!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
oh and btw, i love gt40fied.

I appreciate that, but I like chicks. Let's just be friends man. Hehe.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 09:11 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60

k dude and your fairly new here, but if you didnt know, i have an automatic and i take a lot of offense to it when people dog my car cause of its tranny. First of all, if you turbo an automatic, or supercharge it like i did...there is no loss of boost, and no missed gears. I understand where your coming from because of the loss of hp throguh the drivetrain.....yea its only a loss if you dont do anything to the engine. :-\, put it this way, ive raced it over 30 times now, and i have only lost twice, once to a galant vr4 with a frank 4 turbo, and an eclipse gsx with nitrous.... what more do you want?
fairly ney my ass. look at the post count and then talk about it. i dunno why you are quoting me for saying the same thing you said in your post.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:25 PM   #15
sohc_vtec 2NR

for HIGH-HP cars...auto would almost always be better... in terms of drag racing (no miss shift, nonexistent driver error, etc)

but if you want your car to be fun to drive then i personally prefer stick..driving stick is waaaaaay fun!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:04 AM   #16
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

for a drag car... a domestic auto tranny thats built cant be beat. ive never seen a honda tranny built up and do better than the 5 spd equivalent. i know of a few people who've bought built prelude trannys from level10 and they still cant pull the same times as a 5spd. im guessing theres still too much power loss in the auto for a honda because they are pulling 2.2 and 2.1 60 fts, but just not good traps, and you'll never get those fun downshifts around corners that pin you up against your door around sharp turns. my 2 cents.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:46 AM   #17
IALuder

well i drive an auto civic. i dont care if people hate me for it for doing some moding here and there.

But Guess What. Its A Personal Choice. so dont judge people who drive autos just becuase you dont like it. plus i can drive a stick shift. i do prefer manual. only becuase i like to rally and auto cross. manual is the only way to go for those types of racing. in my opinion.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:00 PM   #18
Civickid0to60

hondaman.....

i quoted u guess it didnt quote correctly.

second....he only has 121 posts. thought about it.....fairly new...look at ur posts, look at mine, compare......think about it.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:21 PM   #19
97CivicBoy

yo i was jus askin...everybody chill here..i wasnt tryin to start ne problems here....
97CivicBoy is offline   Reply With Quote