.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2003, 10:21 AM   #1
Loki

brands???

Even though I don't want to, I may have to buy a new computer. After almost 8 years of faithful service it appears that the computer is slowly eating itself. It doesn't have a virus either, all I can really liken it to is old age. It may just be worn out.

So, what brands should I look in to and what what brands should I stay away from. I was kind of leaning towards Gateway. My parents have one that they like and their prices are really good but other people told me to stay away from them. Anyway, coming back from my tangent, what brands are good and what should I stay away from. And please don't tell me to get alienware, those computers are sweet but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
spoogenet

I'm assuming you mean desktop?

I'd stay away from HP/Compaq computers. I've yet to be impressed with anything either company produces for the consumer market.

Dell hands down does the most testing of their systems. They're not always the most bang-for-the-buck, but they're usually pretty decent on the average. They make some very good systems that are rock solid.

I'm not a huge fan of Gateway myself. Gateway has made some nice systems through the years and has had some good prices at times. The big thing that irked me about them is my bro's computer. He got a Gateway and they had a gigantic peg on the MB that blocked one of the 5.75" bays, it was the stupidest design in the world. Not to mention it was pretty loud for what it should have been. It wouldn't keep me from buying a Gateway, I'd just have to actually see the system in person to verify it's acceptable before I'd buy it. I trust Dell more than that.

There are so many other brands that I don't know much of, I'll leave that to the more current folks around here.

b
Old 10-26-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

geez 8 years on a computer ? you really need one.

i hate gateway for some reason. i used to work at Cleveland state as one of their computer technicians and we had only dells and gateways. we had far more trouble with the gateways than dells. Also user error was at an all time high so i dunno what to say. i got a laptop 1 year ago and i am sooo happy with it. i had no problems with it whatsoever, and it's one of the wall brands -- Winbook-- distributed only thru Microcenter

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
DumbMoFo

Ok, well, there are a few basic questions that need to be answered in order to provide any real good recommendations (other than simple manufacturer recommendation).

1) Desktop or Laptop
2) Primary purpose (i.e. gaming, surfing web, programming, word processing)
3) Budget

That said, I have a few general recommendations.

If you have the means and you want a laptop, get an IBM Thinkpad.
If you want a desktop, get a Dell.

256 MB of RAM will probably suffice, 512 MB is better, and 1 Gig is beautiful.

I do not like Gateway machines. I don't know if they have changed, but it used to be next to impossible to upgrade their machines. I would avoid Compaq/HP desktops and laptops (FWIW, I have a Compaq laptop from work, and it is a nice machine, but it was the last model line they made before the merger, everything after sucks).
Old 10-26-2003, 12:03 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by DumbMoFo
I do not like Gateway machines. I don't know if they have changed, but it used to be next to impossible to upgrade their machines. I would avoid Compaq/HP desktops and laptops (FWIW, I have a Compaq laptop from work, and it is a nice machine, but it was the last model line they made before the merger, everything after sucks).

heh, i always thought hp and compaq lines sucked. i have a presario at home and it sucks. i have a friend with an hp and it sucks. i think the best are the custom computers. you can always buid them on your own.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
heh, i always thought hp and compaq lines sucked. i have a presario at home and it sucks. i have a friend with an hp and it sucks. i think the best are the custom computers. you can always buid them on your own.

Yeah but custom computers can be a nightmare in their own right. They can be far less stable since there's no guarantee that any good testing went into that configuration. Driver conflicts and such can cause many issues. But you can get what you want and not pay a penny more for crap you don't need like you will from Dell or Gateway or any other main vendor.

I'm not too big a fan of Stinkpads. I'm just not too impressed with them. One of the batches from 1 line last year is having tons of HD fails right now.....not looking good. Not to mention that stupid trackpoint thing pisses me off, but some of the newer ones have the touchpad.

b
Old 10-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
Loki

hmmm, yeah I guess I didn't really give enough info on other stuff I need to consider. I was hoping to spend less than $1000, which rules out a lot of things, I know.

I would like a laptop mainly because it is so much less work moving them places and it would fit my room much better seeing as how my room is like 9'x9'. However desktops are cheaper to fix and a chore and a half to steal. I don't know this from experience I would just imagine something that has several pieces each weighing much more than an entire laptop would be more difficult to make off with. So I'm probably leaning slightly more to a desktop unless I can stumble across a really good laptop deal.

Primarily I would use it for word processing and internet use. A little bit of gaming on theside but not much (there's really only a small amount of videogames I actually like).

And I don't plan on upgrading it all that much, that's why I just want something that is relatively cheap and will work. I'll be graduating in the near future (about a year) and hopefully after that I'll be able to land a job that can let me afford nicer stuff. So in the mean time I just want something relatively cheap that won't give me trouble.

Oh and I like the idea of the dvd/cd-r combos. Are those any good or does that really depend on the manufacturer?
Old 10-26-2003, 03:23 PM   #8
DumbMoFo

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

I've never liked the HP computers and I think the Compaq quality have gone down since the merger. In my experiences though, Compaq (pre-merger) has made good workstation class machines. I've actually dropped my laptop onto a concrete floor and nothing happened to it.

spooge - Everyone runs into HD failures, there seem to be a bunch with the Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 series. I just believe them to be the best laptop option if you can afford it.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
pbateson

My computer used to be Tiny. Tiny is a british computer in UK. My case was blew up because of lame motherboard. Lame Windows ME that blew the computer to broke down.

So, I brought a custom computer case last spring. It much better than Tiny.

Also, I used to be Compaq computer. It's very bad that blown up too much. So, Compaq are bad!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:04 AM   #10
feanor

Well, I buy a new computer of some type every 4-6 months so I think I can give you some opinion

If you're in the laptop market, I'd recommend a Sony Vaio, a Dell Latitude, or a Apple Powerbook - depending on your preferences.

I have two iterations of the Sony Vaio here in the house - both of them are the PCG-505 superslim models w/ docking stations - running WinXP - they rock. About 3-4 lbs, lots of power.. no complaints.

If you're an Apple fan, then I'd recommend the PowerBook G4 15" laptop - I have one of these and use it as my primary computer.

If you're looking for a desktop, I'd recommend a Dell, a Gateway.. or if you're comfortable with Macs, get a PowerMac G4 or G5.

I have a Dell p3-933mhz box that I use for gaming - it's more than two years old but can run anything on the market, never had an issue, love it.

My primary desktop is a PowerMac G4 that's a year old - Dual 1.2ghz processors, 2GB of RAM, and a 23" LCD.. it rocks.

Hope this helps
Bryan
Old 11-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #11
Loki

Wow, thanks for all your help on this everyone. Its all been really helpful. I think I am going to go with the eMac since I can get a pretty good deal on one...the only kicker is I have to wait until January 1 to get it. Oh well.

Is there anything I should look out for on those?

Well, again, thanks for all your help everyone.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:17 PM   #12
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i cant complain about my dell... 2.4 ghz 768mb ram, only bad part is windows XP. if i had to buy a pre-fab computer again i'd get what i have again

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:15 AM   #13
95DX
2nd Gear

the one I use it seems like few people have heard of but its an e-machine I like it alot
95DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:54 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If you want the best computer for the price, build it yourself, hands down. If you're buying a prefab, I've had great luck with 4 Dell computers

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:42 PM   #15
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by 95DX
the one I use it seems like few people have heard of but its an e-machine I like it alot

heh i had a e-machine. it was a e-monster 633 i think. was fun for quake and CS back in the day. When i was done with it, it ran about as fast as a 486. opening IE would lag it up, and i couldnt even think about winamp. i guess thats what happens when you kinda download all sorts of crap and NEVER scan for virus's.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:32 PM   #16
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

if ur mostly into games, and just chatting nad sites and shit i woudl recomend alienware, i have one and its insane. plus they come in cool a** colors and wit neons inside
B16DoHcCrx033003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:53 PM   #17
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by B16DoHcCrx033003
if ur mostly into games, and just chatting nad sites and shit i woudl recomend alienware, i have one and its insane. plus they come in cool a** colors and wit neons inside

They are fine, but extremely overpriced. You can build your own for much cheaper.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #18
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

customs....
B16DoHcCrx033003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:04 PM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 95DX
heh, then try winbook, like my laptop. it's been a year and no problems, and it was 5-600 cheaper than any dell, gateway.... any big brand with similar power and specs.