.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2003, 03:20 AM   #1
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

need help

i wana setup one of the monitoring programs(you know with temps and whatnot) i dont know where to get one or how to set one up. consider me retarted in figuring out this shit... so the more you can explane the better

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
spoogenet

First off your motherboard must support monitoring. Not all do. As far as checking that if you don't know.....try the manufacturer's website.

For a monitoring program there are many out there. You can probably just search google for a cpu temp monitor program or something like that. I forget which one I used previously, I thik MotherBoardMonitor is what it was called....not sure. It seemed to work pretty well.

Then you'll need to do a little research to find out whether there's any offset needed for your temp monitoring. Not sure if this is still such an issue today or not, but back when I was doing this with my system, I actually had to add 11C to the temp it reported to get the actual temp because there was an offset.......

Anyhow, I know this probably doesn't help much, but hopefully it helps a little.

b
Old 10-24-2003, 01:43 AM   #3
XtenZ

The name of the program you are looking for is MBM5.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

On that site you will find the d/l link and a link to compatable Motherboards. I use it on 3 of my servers and 2 workstations with little problems. To setup the correct temp (+/-) check the temp in your Bios (and wait a couple of minutes) as your CPU should be under full load or near to it. Finally, run your Comp under full load within the O/S (using folding or 3d games) and try and match the MBM5 Temp to the Bios temp you recorded.

GL
Old 10-24-2003, 04:16 AM   #4
slowEJ6

those programs are hardly ever accurate........if you want to actually know your temps, you need a temp setup on your comp or a fan controller that is also a temp reader......

i have a fan controller built into my case and another one in the 5.25" bay......they both read temps.
on case reads cpu and anything else - they have the diodes for it so its actually ACCURATE.
the fan controller reads cpu, hdd, and 2 other of whatever else.
DIODES!
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by slowEJ6
those programs are hardly ever accurate........if you want to actually know your temps, you need a temp setup on your comp or a fan controller that is also a temp reader......

i have a fan controller built into my case and another one in the 5.25" bay......they both read temps.
on case reads cpu and anything else - they have the diodes for it so its actually ACCURATE.
the fan controller reads cpu, hdd, and 2 other of whatever else.
DIODES!

Um......do you know what you're talking about?

MBM reads thermal sensors that are built-in to the motherboard. It can also read thermal sensors from fans that are equipped with them so long as your MB has an input connection for a fan with a thermal sensor.

The program doesn't have to do any voodoo math like Bush "balancing" the budget. MBM doesn't just make up a number by guessing, which is what you make it sound like.

There are more and less accurate thermal sensors, though. Also factors such as where the thermal sensor is mounted makes a huge difference in the accuracy of the temperature reading you get. That's why MBM has the ability to adjust the temperature offset.

Now using MBM with one of the known list of MB's, you can get an accurate readout. For example the sensor is mounted in a fixed place relative to the CPU.

The trick is you must set the program up right in order to get an accurate temperature reading. But you can't hold that against the program, it's for people who know what they're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, then why do you care about your temperature in the first place?

b
Old 10-26-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i think the out of the box computers are pretty well setup for their cooling needs. unless you are overclocking i don't see a need to monitor any of the temps inside the computer.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
well i think the out of the box computers are pretty well setup for their cooling needs. unless you are overclocking i don't see a need to monitor any of the temps inside the computer.

That's correct, except with the minor addition to your statement. Unless you are overclocking or upgrading certain things. Adding new HDs and cards changes the cooling dynamics of the system.

b
Old 10-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm i think the case was designed for that, to deal with the adding of new cards and hardrives, so i really don't see it as a major issue. i've been using my presario for 4 years now with new cards and hdd's and i never had any problems with the cooling.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:58 AM   #9
Civic Backwards

MBM5 is all fine and dandy (nice stuff you can do with Epox boards) but if you just want ease of use (and a systray temp readout) grab CPU Cool.

Once you've got it installed just ignore the entire mobo maunfacturer/model thing. Just hit "I don't know" and it'll bring you to the main window. From there just go into the display options and check off which temps you want to show next to the clock when you minimize.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:43 AM   #10
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
hmm i think the case was designed for that, to deal with the adding of new cards and hardrives, so i really don't see it as a major issue. i've been using my presario for 4 years now with new cards and hdd's and i never had any problems with the cooling.

That's true, but some cases are designed better than others. And there's a lot of things that cooling problems can cause that the average user will just blame on MS.

Windows can crash, you can get graphic glitches in games, hard drives sectors start going bad, dropped net connection, etc etc etc. All can be caused by heat issues that you may never know about.

My main concern for heat is the HD. And some of the cases I've checked out aren't designed well to properly cool a 7200 or higher RPM drive. Sure the drive will work for a while, but it's much more likely to fail after 2, 3 years etc. than it would be if it were cooled better throughout its lifetime.

b