::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
sicones

max power from d16

Whats the maximum power a d16y8 engine can handle without damage, whether its turboed or nitrous???
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

with zero tuning and stock internals? ...not much, if anything extra

you wanna be a little bit more specific?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
sicones

yea whats the most hp the stock internals can handle (boosted, tuned, nitrous whatever) or anything else that may break under stress
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

...still vague...but...

for boost i wouldnt go over 8-9psi on stock internals (thats tuned and more fuel capable stuff added as well + fmic)

nitrous...i suppose a 50shot would be fine (i dont like n2o a lot so Ive never looked into it)...wait for more people (ie OC Civic...or pm him)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
oc civic

60-70 shot

2 years +

70+ bottles

stock internals.. no problems

NOS dry kit..

considering new fuel pump soon
Old 09-15-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
AzCivic

75hp shot is fine aslong as the fuel pump is up for it.

from a turbo: basically 200 or so hp is the "safe" limit, but a few have gone up to 300hp , and only had failures due to the fuel system/tuning shortages.

if you swap in some aftermarket pistons/rods, it'll withstand 300hp easily.

Last edited by AzCivic : 09-15-2003 at 07:45 PM.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:02 PM   #7
oc civic

MAYBE with direct port.. NEVER with a dry kit.. NEVER EVER
Old 09-19-2003, 08:02 AM   #8
cashizslick

Honda intake manifolds are bias in the way they induct air anyways - 75 shot or more will give you a lean condition even if it is a wet kit.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:03 AM   #9
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Honda intake manifolds are bias in the way they induct air anyways - 75 shot or more will give you a lean condition even if it is a wet kit. So, you will need a direct port setup to be safe.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:02 AM   #10
oc civic

Quote:
Honda intake manifolds are bias in the way they induct air anyways - 75 shot or more will give you a lean condition even if it is a wet kit.

you are very wrong...
Old 09-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #11
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
you are very wrong...

There is a good chance i might be, considering this info was gotten off another forum (jeeze, why do i keep going back to Superhonda?)

Enlighten me oh Nitrous Guru.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #12
oc civic

Quote:
There is a good chance i might be, considering this info was gotten off another forum (jeeze, why do i keep going back to Superhonda?)

Enlighten me oh Nitrous Guru.

well to start.. on direct port

a perfect mixture of nitrous and gas is sprayed into each cylinder thus not allowing the motor to run lean... nitrous adds air.. and the fuel plumes ad gas.. added the correct amount of fuel and air results in a stoichmetric (sp?) mix... you can ad as much nitrous (air) as you want as long as you have adiquate fuel and spark.. too much air (nitrous) and not enough fuel will result in a lean condistion... over fueling not enough air results in a rich condition..
on direct port the fuel pump is not as taxed as a dry kit...
on direct port AND wet kits.. the fuel line is spliced to a solonoid and sprayed with the nitrous.. into the motor..

on a dry kit it is true that over 75 you run the chance of going lean but here is the reason... on a dry kit.. you spray nitrous into the intake without fuel.. JUST nitrous (thus the name dry) the fuel is added through a pressure reg with a bleed off valve that exerts pressure on the fuel regulator thus raising praessure thus adding demand on all the stock fuel components.. the way a dry kit fails is due to uneven nitrous distribution.you spray nitrous into the intake path (as stated) and smalll shot is ok since the nitrous has time to mix with the air (for added cation i ALWAYS sugest taping the intake pipe far away from the motor) but SOMETIMES with too larg of a shot too much nitrous is forced to the back cylinder.. and that would be unever distribution.. this hurts on the dry kit because (how are we adding fuel) thats right.. through the STOCK FUEL system.. so pressure spikes to 75 psi adding EQUAL fuel per cylinder.. well thats great as long as the nitrous goes in equally.. with high shots like over 75 it DOESN'T thus causeing a lean condition.. and ultimately.. engine failure..

hope that helps
Old 09-20-2003, 01:30 PM   #13
cashizslick

Thanks OC - that helps a lot.

One question, is it possible to still run lean with a Wet kit? Since the fuel is heavier than the Nitrous, wont the nitrous enter the intake manifold first (before the fuel) and still cause you to run lean?

Thanks very much
Old 09-20-2003, 01:36 PM   #14
oc civic

Quote:
Thanks OC - that helps a lot.

One question, is it possible to still run lean with a Wet kit? Since the fuel is heavier than the Nitrous, wont the nitrous enter the intake manifold first (before the fuel) and still cause you to run lean?

Thanks very much

the nozzels mist the fuel SO much that i would say if you are within reasonable tuned peramitersthen NO.. you would not go lean...