::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
Civickid0to60

what makes a car......

Me and my friend were debating this......what makes a car an import or a domestic. For instance, my car, its a ford shell with a mazda engine......now what makes the car go? The engine, thus, it is to be considered a mazda for those who know. Get my drift? Yay or nay.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
Mushroom

Which government gets the money you spend on it? Buy a Honda, many of the parts are US, the factory that puts it together pays US workers (who pay US income taxes), and the sales profit is taxed in the US. A chunk of the corporate profits are then taxed by Japan. So, you could calculate it, maybe 60% US, 20% Japan and 20% other.

Buy a volkswagen, and it's probably 20% US, 30% German and 50% Mexico or something like that. A GM is probably 40% US and 60% Argentinian.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
Civickid0to60

ok......anyway does anyone wanna agree or disagree?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
sohc_vtec 2NR

i really don't care...i hate it when people are like, you can't buy import because its "un-patriotic"... despite the fact that "american" cars are made in mexico and such
Old 07-23-2003, 12:48 PM   #5
out there

imo, it doesn't really matter where the car is built, it's who designed it. sure, dsms were made in normal, il, but they were designed in japan.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:37 PM   #6
zm_dawg

i'm with the others......doesn't really matter to me......i'm buying a car because I like it...not because its one or the other
Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think a badge maxes the car. i don't care if your civic has a prelude engine in it: it's still a civic.

and what makes a car an import or domestic: i associate them with the coutry of origin of the manufacturer, not where the car is fabricated.

now my question is why japanese cars are imports, european cars foreign, and the korean cars korean ? i'm not touching the domestic issue here because it's all self explanatory.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:55 PM   #8
out there

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i think a badge makes the car. i don't care if your civic has a prelude engine in it: it's still a civic.

agreed

Quote:
now my question is why japanese cars are imports, european cars foreign, and the korean cars korean ? i'm not touching the domestic issue here because it's all self explanatory.

something for a late night perkins/denny's/any-24-hour-coffee-and-munchie-joint discussion...
Old 07-23-2003, 06:42 PM   #9
guywithastang

cars are like people, It does not matter where they are from, they are all the same and they are all flawed

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:19 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

I'm with stang^

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:10 AM   #11
nonovurbizniz

It's obviously the badge...

that's a dumb debate.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:02 PM   #12
vtracer20

i think the outside of the car makes a car, like hondaman said, if u have a civic with an another engine other than a civics it's still a civic
Old 07-24-2003, 07:15 PM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The badge. End of discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
[b]Which government gets the money you spend on it? Buy a Honda, many of the parts are US, the factory that puts it together pays US workers (who pay US income taxes), and the sales profit is taxed in the US. A chunk of the corporate profits are then taxed by Japan. So, you could calculate it, maybe 60% US, 20% Japan and 20% other.
I wouldn't say 'many'. The Si for example is 45% Japanese (engine/tranny), 55% US(everything else).
Old 07-25-2003, 09:47 AM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

To me there really is no Import vs. Domestic anymore. Its more Sport Compact vs. Hot Rod/Muscle Car (Whatever you want to call it.)

I say drive what you like. You cant really be "unpatriotic" anymore.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:04 PM   #15
CD5Passion

badge and what RacingRice said aswell, I mean it makes alot of sense. When I come in contact with other racers they will either have a sport compact or a muscle.

but other than that I usually associate the difference with the reliability of the car, my grandma in cali has a 86 v6 camry that runs perfectly. of course I guess any car will last as long as you baby it, but what will cost more money to "baby" a car, a domestic or a import?
if it doesnt make sense to anyone where my figuring comes in then ignore it, i think some crazy sh*t up in this head of mine
Old 07-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #16
93Honda

a civic designation is usually associated with the car's body style and the engine inside it. The changing of an engine to another that is not in the civic line changes the car quite a bit. but considering everything else, ya it's still a civic. The frame, body work, and most of the internals are still good ole' civic
Old 07-26-2003, 12:53 PM   #17
Kyle
elyK

glass,metal, rubber, plastic...some other junk too

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote