::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
drumboy69

Exhaust Loudness!!!

OK, here is a question for everybody. What's the quietest aftermarket exhaust out there, but one that still makes power? Are Greddy ones fairly quiet?

I am a little at odds about what to do with my exhaust. I have a OBX racing complete cat-back installed on my '99 Civic EX coupe. And, guess what, IT IS F$%^*&# LOUD!!! Well, not as loud as some of the universal mufflers crap out there, but still plenty loud. I am growing a little bit tired of the noise and vibration. I could put a supplied silencer in there, but it looks lame with this thing inside, plus I feel less power at high rpm's with the silencer installed.

So, first I thought about investing in some sound dampening and vibration dampening. But, after all is done I could just as easily (about the same amount of money) get a new quieter exhaust!!!

So, I am thinking about getting a new cat-back exhaust. What should I get? I certainly don't expect stock sound levels, but anyone who rides with me complains of the loudness, especially the girls.

Help!!!

Drumboy69
Old 05-19-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
AzCivic

apexi ws
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

thermal

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
OPAKRACING

DC Sports really trys to keep their exhausts within the 90 decibal limit....their double canister one i believe is pretty quiet.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:11 PM   #5
RavingCivic

Actually the RS*R catback is the quietest with the most significant gains in hp. they use a baffled muffler, thus hp and torque gains are low to mid rpm
Old 05-19-2003, 09:16 PM   #6
sohc_vtec 2NR

mugen, dc twin canister, and apexi ws....
Old 05-20-2003, 12:39 AM   #7
wheresmylicense

is the greddy evo extremely loud by any chance? that's what i might be getting, but i'm not sure yet...

Pictures of My Baby
wheresmylicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:47 AM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RavingCivic
Actually the RS*R catback is the quietest with the most significant gains in hp. they use a baffled muffler, thus hp and torque gains are low to mid rpm

But can you find RS*R anywhere these days?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:59 AM   #9
drumboy69

Wow, you guys! So many preferences! Not two people agreed on the same exhaust. That just made it so much harder!!!

I heard about Apexi World Series and Greddy being pretty quiet. I like Greddy Evo Series. It looks really cool. I am not so sure about Apexi. It looks (at least on paper) a little too stock for me. I still want the big tip in a back.

So, what is RS R exhaust? Where can I find it?

Any other opinions out there? Any Greddy users?

Drumboy69
Old 05-20-2003, 08:00 AM   #10
Wallythecat

I have a Greddy Evo... It's not very loud on the inside, but my wife tells me she can hear me coming home from work about 40 seconds before I get to our street... Then again, I think the cat made it louder for some reason.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:05 AM   #11
drumboy69

Cool! A Columbus man. Greddy Evo is what guys at Passen recommended volume wise.

What do you mean by the cat making it louder?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:22 AM   #12
Wallythecat

I thought it was pretty quiet when all I had was the exhaust... I asked the guys at Passen for something that would be good, but quiet and they recommended the EVO. So that's what I got. I'm pretty satisfied with it, except for some rust on the pipes and the muffler has a few, small "rust like" spots. With the salt in the winter, it's probably to be expected.

The cat's been on it's way out for awhile, so I put a Catco high flow cat on a couple of weeks ago and it's seems to be louder now... The alignment of the whole exhaust seems out of whack and I'm guessing I have a leak somewhere, hence the additional noise. I probably have to disassemble the whole thing and realign it. It kinks kind of weird right after the cat.

Chris
Old 05-20-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

passen ? don't they deal only with vw ? and yeah i heard the the greddy tends to rust.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #14
Wallythecat

I think they carry all kinds of stuff... I really don't like going there that much, but it was before I started looking on the internet for parts.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:39 AM   #15
drumboy69

Passen is a full scale import performance store nowadays. They are not cheap and can't match most internet prices, though.

So Greddy rusts? Hmm... DC Twin Canister looks really good. But seems most expensive...

Don't like the way Apexi World Series looks. I bet it is really functional...

Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-20-2003, 12:15 PM   #16
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

The Apex'i WS is a quiet exhaust, but with it comes a fairly ugly, huge tip. Also, people seem to have many problems scraping with a lowered car.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #17
RavingCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
But can you find RS*R anywhere these days?

Absolutely! In fact i am looking at one for my car, but im not sure since my intake is LOUDER than the exhaust will be. but since he is looking for QUIET RS*R is the way to go. PLus they have a nice sleeper look to them. BLACK with chrome TIP
Old 05-22-2003, 05:53 AM   #18
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RavingCivic
Absolutely! In fact i am looking at one for my car, but im not sure since my intake is LOUDER than the exhaust will be. but since he is looking for QUIET RS*R is the way to go. PLus they have a nice sleeper look to them. BLACK with chrome TIP

Care to point me to a place that sells them for Accords? I'd really appreciate it. I thought they stopped selling to the US market a couple of years ago.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:39 PM   #19
'87 integra

drumboy....one of my friends has the same exact car as you...and he plans on ordereing the greddy evo tomorrow.....$475 including shipping....
Old 05-25-2003, 10:50 PM   #20
B18HaTcH92

one of greddy muflers claimed that it got quiter 4rm idle to 3k rpm thanx 2 there "str8 through design" w/e i think go w them
Old 05-26-2003, 04:49 AM   #21
RavingCivic

RS*R IS around,
http://www.rs-r.com/
SEE! there stuff is TITE