::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2003, 09:12 AM   #1
DJWURM

First cop stop

well got stopped by the cops last night.
he was like your exhaust is to loud... its illegal (tanabe mediallion racing exhaust)
i was like really? why is it illegal? (acting like i didnt know)
he was like cause if its not made by honda its illegal in the state of virginia.
i was like im sorry sir i didnt know
he was like im not going to give you a ticket but get it fixed, have a nice day.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
wheresmylicense

can't you get some sort of paper work or license or registration or something for stuff like exhausts and intakes?

Pictures of My Baby
wheresmylicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
oc civic

NO just about EVERY state has SOME gay law abotu altering the car.. almost EVERY state CAN write you up for using ANYTHING that ALTERS the cars intended performance... wich means if you make the car work worse its illegal, or if you make ti work better its illegal... ANY changes are illegal.. GAY but true (in MOST states)

what are you doing to do now? i mean now that you have gotten this ticket? do you intend to fix it?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
DJWURM

well theres not much i can do, fixing it would require me to go to honda and have them put on a new exhaust system and that would cost me an arm and leg... so probably just buy the baffle for the exhaust and just hope that i dont get stopped again and if i do ill pay the dam ticket
Old 02-19-2003, 09:58 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

really really sucks man...thats too bad...
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
oc civic

the baffle SHOULD resolve the issue... let me make a LEGAL suggestion to you.. MAYBE you want to plead not guilty.. and ask the prosecuter to dismiss the charge based on compliance. you will say to him "surely you will agree that sound levels durign a traffic stop are subjective, i trust that the officer issued the ticket based on his training and proper ability to enforce the law... BUT i was NOT aware that my exhaust was TOO loud, so i have purchased a "baffle" to greatly reduce the sound emmited by the system... i am SORRY that i have violated the law, and have already made the appropriate corrections, i would appreciate you dismissing the charge based on my current compliance with the law"
that would probably work in NJ.. Ask my friend ben (Iracemyctr ) i give sound legal advice.. lol
Old 02-19-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
iRACEmyCTR

thank god the cops in NJ just dont give a shit about loud cars cuz if they did id be in a lot of trouble lol. my car is so loud i get a headache. but do listen to OC Civic, he's been to court so many times he could be a judge... hehe
Old 02-19-2003, 10:08 AM   #8
DJWURM

well i didnt get a ticket this time... he let me off witha warning.. yea found the baffles for my exhaust come in three different sizes (90 mm, 100mm, 115mm) online will order today probably...
Old 02-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by DJWURM
well i didnt get a ticket this time... he let me off witha warning.. yea found the baffles for my exhaust come in three different sizes (90 mm, 100mm, 115mm) online will order today probably...

ha maybe i should read the last sentance next time.. lol
Old 02-19-2003, 11:39 AM   #10
nekcuttR

cops here in Miss pay more attention to those loud ace redneck trucks with their glasspacks and stuff so no probs here cept for gettin pulled over for my lil hoodsquirter lights but now i got a switch to turn em off so its cool but speeding tickets is what i worry about nowadays
Old 02-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #11
Turbo_LS_Hatch

Actually you don't have to do any of that. That cop was either just being an asshole, or wasn't familiar with your exhaust. Your exhaust is CARB exempt in all 50 states as far as emissions go, and I can ALMOST gurantee you it meets the dB requirements. Email Tanabe and ask for the sound dB level for you particular exhaust and print it out when you recieve the reply and carry it in your car with you. The exhaust should have come with a CARB sticker, put that under the hood or keep it in the glovebox too. Both are surefire ways to prove your innocence while you are stopped, not later on in court.(if it happens again)
Old 02-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #12
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch
Actually you don't have to do any of that. That cop was either just being an asshole, or wasn't familiar with your exhaust. Your exhaust is CARB exempt in all 50 states as far as emissions go, and I can ALMOST gurantee you it meets the dB requirements. Email Tanabe and ask for the sound dB level for you particular exhaust and print it out when you recieve the reply and carry it in your car with you. The exhaust should have come with a CARB sticker, put that under the hood or keep it in the glovebox too. Both are surefire ways to prove your innocence while you are stopped, not later on in court.(if it happens again)

reread what i wrote it will help you...
Old 02-19-2003, 08:10 PM   #13
sohc_vtec 2NR

is there a website where we can check the laws regarding modifying our cars.... i'm too lazy to find out where the police station is around here..
Old 02-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #14
Civic98

DJWURM .......lucky u didn't get a ticket!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #15
Turbo_LS_Hatch

I did read what you wrote. This is pretty much what you said...."Go buy something you don't need and waste more money so you can go to court and HOPEFULLY have them drop it Altogether wasting your money and time." Here's what I wrote "Get online like you are now, go to their site and request the CARB sticker, and a copy of the dB readings. Next time you are stopped for it, you can just show the officer that(actual proof), and you won't have to waste your time and money on useless stuff."

I'm not trying to be an ass, both ways will work, it's just the way I mentioned works better, faster, and with less hassle.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:52 AM   #16
sc0rch

why cant the goddamn cops leave people alone and go get someone who is actually doing something like murdering little kids with a meat grinder or something that can cause other people to get hurt.....
Old 02-20-2003, 07:39 AM   #17
oc civic

Quote:
I did read what you wrote. This is pretty much what you said...."Go buy something you don't need and waste more money so you can go to court and HOPEFULLY have them drop it Altogether wasting your money and time." Here's what I wrote "Get online like you are now, go to their site and request the CARB sticker, and a copy of the dB readings. Next time you are stopped for it, you can just show the officer that(actual proof), and you won't have to waste your time and money on useless stuff."

I'm not trying to be an ass, both ways will work, it's just the way I mentioned works better, faster, and with less hassle.

***NEWS FLASH***

CARB (California Air Resource Board) approves things and issues "CARB numbers" when a part is in compliance with California smog test.. it is NOT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT.. its LOGICAL to think that if your part has a CARB number that it will pass emissions in your local state BECAUSE California has one of the most strict set of emission laws in the country. the loudness is irrelevant, there are SO many factors you and i are BOTH ignorant of.. there can be SO many laws ... normal sound ordinances that have to do with times of day (these are VERY subjective and NORMALLY up to the officers discretion) OR actual motor vehicle code ...[sarcasm] yeah your advice is SO GOOD [/sarcasm].... see if your part carries a CALIFORNIA exception for SMOG testing.. then tell your VIRGINIA court you are not in violation of the SOUND ordinance because your car part has been deemed exempt by California smog board... RIGHT. the prosecutor is laughing now ... lol now maybe you didn't know all this. Well, OBVIOUSLY you didn't know all this.

You do now. My advice was the most sound advice he could have gotten. its the same advice a LAWYER would have given him...
Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 AM   #18
DJWURM

Well even if i do get the Carb exempt stuff and the sound DB from tanabe, i still am not in compliance with virginia law. from what the cop said that if its not made by honda its illegal..

so basically anything i do to my car is illegal in virgina..

i also talked to the guy at direct performance in virginia beach (local import store) and he told me the same thing, that even putting a set of eibach springs on is illegal in virginia.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #19
oc civic

Quote:
Well even if i do get the Carb exempt stuff and the sound DB from tanabe, i still am not in compliance with virginia law. from what the cop said that if its not made by honda its illegal..

i also talked to the guy at direct performance in virginia beach (local import store) and he told me the same thing, that even putting a set of eibach springs on is illegal in virginia.

i tried to explain that 5 posts ago.. lol you are NOT alone.. EVERY state as far as i know has a SIMILAR law.. in fact im sure texas even has a law like that SOMEWHERE on the books, BUT don't tell "Turbo_LS_Hatch" that cause he won't believe you .. lol
Old 02-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #20
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:

So what if it's carb approved ? he didn't get a ticket for smog. he got a for sound violation. those are 2 things totally different.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:38 AM   #21
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:

so if your exhaust fell in virginia you gotta pay honda 800 to install it ? cause if you go to a muffler shop to have it fixed it's not honda and it's illegal. damn that's really gay

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #22
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
so if your exhaust fell in virginia you gotta pay honda 800 to install it ? cause if you go to a muffler shop to have it fixed it's not honda and it's illegal. damn that's really gay

its one of those "technicality things" can and will are NOT the same.. in NJ you CAN get a ticket for ANYTHING that alters vehicle performance that is NOT positive OR negative gains.. its SUCH a BROAD law you COULD get it for an aftermarket radio.. will you .. NO of course not.. but could you YES.. there are organiations working strongly against overturning old laws like these, BUT as tuners we MUST know they exist, so we know how to fight them in court...
Old 02-20-2003, 10:14 AM   #23
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
So what if it's carb approved ? he didn't get a ticket for smog. he got a for sound violation. those are 2 things totally different.

well its pretty obvious.. not everyone knows what a carb exemption number is.. he PROBABLY thought it meant it was legal anywhere in the country... on a side note.. those things you see that say "50state legal" are ALSO not always legal, when they say that they are ALSO referign to smog/emision laws... and STILL may be against other laws..