::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
G uNiT 187

Turbo?

hey whats up?.....my boy got a 96 civic hatch Dx...he was thinking about doing a swap to a Ls Vtec...but then he was also thinking about turbo charging his stock motor....he will also had things like cat-back intake heards chip...what do you think is better...and also would it be able to let know me about what he will run with both the Ls Vtec and the turbo charged stock motor?.....thank you....
Old 02-16-2003, 10:57 PM   #2
Civic98

why doesn't he go for a EX-Vtec cuz there's more parts available ....
Old 02-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #3
AzCivic

Put in a GSR engine and then turbo.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:03 PM   #4
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic98
why doesn't he go for a EX-Vtec cuz there's more parts available ....

EX-VTEC???? The EX motor IS a VTEC motor, I think you are referring to a mini me swap, which is the VTEC head on the non VTEC block. The LS/VTEC frankenstein setup will push plenty more than the mini me setup, but personally, I wouldn't do either. Both those setups will yeild about the same gains as if you just bought the whole motor and not just the head, and is less reliable unless done correctly. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't turbo that motor OR get the LS/VTEC setup, I would get a DOHC VTEC motor swap, but that's just me. It all depends on personal preference. Also, I can't give you a time he would run on these setups since I don't know how well he can drive.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #5
96coupe

i wouldn't do ls/vtec unless you, or the shop building it, seriously knows what you are doing. i would go w/ a gsr and turbo that thing.

times would depend on how you build the ls/vtec, or if you just slap a 6-7psi turbo on the stock motor.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:40 PM   #6
sohc_vtec 2NR

i believe the LS (non vtec) motor would be a great platform to turbocharge.. i'd recommend to turbo an ls engine instead of doin' an LS/vtec setup....
Old 02-17-2003, 06:07 PM   #7
Turbo_LS_Hatch

Turbocharge the LS motor. It's 10x cheaper than the B18C1, and when you pop the hood, people think less of it because it isnt a GS-R engine. The tranny is also better.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #8
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch
Turbocharge the LS motor. It's 10x cheaper than the B18C1, and when you pop the hood, people think less of it because it isnt a GS-R engine. The tranny is also better.

and where do you get YOUR info from????
Old 02-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #9
96coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch

imo, the ls tranny has too long of gears w/out some serious power to make it through those long gears.