::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2003, 12:54 AM   #1
Civic98

civic ECU chip

i was wondering does anyone in here have upgraded computer chip cuz i tried to look for performance chip for my 98 civic DX couldn't find it anywhere ....do they even make them for 98 civics......does anyone have one?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:12 PM   #2
Azkikr111

i know they make em for civics, i dunno about the DX model though, might check a website like JetChips or Jegs might have it too
Old 02-09-2003, 12:56 AM   #3
Civic98

i didn't find it for any models at all
Old 02-09-2003, 07:48 AM   #4
foxygrandma

try ebay. i got one for my 91 crx si from there for $25 bucks shipped. it waqs the best thing i ever did. it made a huge differance
Old 02-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #5
Azkikr111

are you serious?...those ebay no-name chips actually did something besides fry your ECU?...im a little hesitant on trying one of those.....what did it do for the perf. of your car?

hp gain?
gas mpg?
rev limiter?
top speed?

tell me! tell me!!

i need a higher top end than 124mph...lol it doesnt get me places fast enough
Old 02-09-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
foxygrandma

Yeah, it made a huge difference. A noticable horsepower gain. Gas milage seems to be the same. Rev. Limiter is at 9K RPM. I don't really like that idea. I don't know top speed because I haven't had a chance to see. If you have any more questions let me know.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
1badcivic

I haven't seen one for the OBD2 ECU's or I would have already bought one. foxygrandma's car is OBD1 so all he has to buy is a chip. I think we have to get the whole ECU reprogrammed or buy a Jet chip. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's right.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:59 PM   #8
Civic98

i think we have to replace the whole computer or something i went to this shop and that's wat they told me
Old 02-11-2003, 11:09 AM   #9
foxygrandma

now that i think about it you are right. i dont think you can just buy a chip. but there is pretty reasonable stuff out there for you. there are things you can get that plug in and basically act like a chip would, but it is external. i cant remember what they are called but i know they exist. i will look around and see what i can find
Old 02-11-2003, 11:19 AM   #10
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by Azkikr111
are you serious?...those ebay no-name chips actually did something besides fry your ECU?...im a little hesitant on trying one of those.....what did it do for the perf. of your car?

hp gain?
gas mpg?
rev limiter?
top speed?

tell me! tell me!!

i need a higher top end than 124mph...lol it doesnt get me places fast enough

different ECU's do different things...most of them just adjust the fuel map, advance timing and raise the rev limiter.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:22 AM   #11
Civic98

Quote:
Originally posted by foxygrandma
now that i think about it you are right. i dont think you can just buy a chip. but there is pretty reasonable stuff out there for you. there are things you can get that plug in and basically act like a chip would, but it is external. i cant remember what they are called but i know they exist. i will look around and see what i can find

Let me know wat they're called
Old 02-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #12
JDMB16

Quote:
Yeah, it made a huge difference. A noticable horsepower gain. Gas milage seems to be the same. Rev. Limiter is at 9K RPM. I don't really like that idea. I don't know top speed because I haven't had a chance to see. If you have any more questions let me know.

yes you can see a difference BUT, you can advance the timing on your own and gain damn near as much HP the ECU will provide. Also, don't rev your motor that high, if you do without and upgraded valve train (Valve springs and retainers) then you will experience valve float. Also, our cams won't really produce power up that high, they will actually lose it, that's why it's good to have an aftermarket cam with these ECU's, plus the upgraded valve train of course.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #13
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by 1badcivic
I haven't seen one for the OBD2 ECU's or I would have already bought one. foxygrandma's car is OBD1 so all he has to buy is a chip. I think we have to get the whole ECU reprogrammed or buy a Jet chip. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's right.

No, you have to buy the whole ECU wether you are OBD-I or OBD-I. Also, you say you have a turbo on your car? If so, then buying an aftermarket ECU wouldn't be a very great idea. You have to do CUSTOM tuning when you have a turbo so your best bet would be to go with hondata so they can reprogram your ECU to your particular setup.

www.hondata.com

very good company
Old 02-12-2003, 11:18 AM   #14
foxygrandma

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
yes you can see a difference BUT, you can advance the timing on your own and gain damn near as much HP the ECU will provide. Also, don't rev your motor that high, if you do without and upgraded valve train (Valve springs and retainers) then you will experience valve float. Also, our cams won't really produce power up that high, they will actually lose it, that's why it's good to have an aftermarket cam with these ECU's, plus the upgraded valve train of course.

i dont rev mine over 7k. it stops making power there. and i have never gotten these kinds of gains with just advancing timing. it also changes the fuel curve
Old 02-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #15
oc civic

Quote:

if it made THAT much of a differance it has probably completely altered your fuel and ignition maps... you are probably SO close to the border of complete engine failure... those no name/no warranty chips are VERY risky...
Old 02-12-2003, 12:13 PM   #16
JDMB16

Quote:
i dont rev mine over 7k. it stops making power there. and i have never gotten these kinds of gains with just advancing timing. it also changes the fuel curve

didn't I just say that in my above post?!?!?!
Old 02-12-2003, 04:15 PM   #17
foxygrandma

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
if it made THAT much of a differance it has probably completely altered your fuel and ignition maps... you are probably SO close to the border of complete engine failure... those no name/no warranty chips are VERY risky...

i have checked the timing at all rpm levels and i am watching the air/fuel ratio all the time. my engine is running perfectly.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #18
oc civic

Quote:
i have checked the timing at all rpm levels and i am watching the air/fuel ratio all the time. my engine is running perfectly.

what method are you using to check your timing at ALL rpm levels? adn what method are you using to check your cumbustion efficiency...????????

i have this metal image of you looking... nevermind im NOT gonna ruin it.. PLEASE fill us in..
Old 02-12-2003, 07:51 PM   #19
foxygrandma

i dont know why you think im some dumb kid that thinks i have an idea of what i am doing. i have been working on cars for the past 6 years and have had jobs at dealerships as a machanic. i used a timing light with tach to check my timing at various rpm levels and a multi-meter connected to my o2 sensor to monitor mixture. im not trying to fight with you, but i would like a little respect. dont just assume that im just another auto zone racer.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:24 AM   #20
oc civic

Quote:
i have been working on cars for the past 6 years and have had jobs at dealerships as a machanic. i used a timing light with tach to check my timing at various rpm levels

well sinse you are a mechanic you would understand that reading timing on an old v-8 and a newer computer controled car are VERY differant. with older non computer controlled cars you can actualy hold a timing light there and check at various rpms to see what the timign would be, BUT with newer computer controled cars the car can sense its not under load, so the timing you see in nuetral at 6k rpms is differant than under load, say while racing...

and out of curiousity what kind of readings were you getting on the multimeter?

you say you are watching the A/F mixture constantly? how are you doing this?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:24 AM   #21
foxygrandma

i understand what you are saying about newer cars timing being differant. my car is computer controlled but, it is still very primitive and does not change as much as you are saying. it is more like being preprogramed for certain rpm's and not so aware of conditions. i have rediculously looked into this before i bought the chip to make sure it would be ok. my car is my only transportation and means more to me than anything else i own. i know more about my car than i know about myself and would never hurt it in anyway. i am finished arguing with you about this because there is no way to resolve it. everyone has differant results with chips. i just happend to have good results. as the great beatles once said "let it be". i fully believe you know what you are talking about, but you dont know me and dont my car and situation. i was offering an opinion that "civic98" asked for. we all like hondas and dont need to argue
Old 02-13-2003, 11:36 AM   #22
oc civic

just to make it MORE clear for you.. i was NOT arguing.. this is a message board.. a place to gather and share information... you swear ad on chips are great... i think they are shit... (every performance oriented mechanic i spoke to of the issue agrees) the reason i post and you post is so he can see ALL sides and make a GOOD choice.. i am fully prepared to continue this discusion, and am prepared to back up my opinion with factual statements... i still question (after readin some of your other posts requesting help on select automotive topics) your ability to give PROPER insight on such a topic.. im also begining to question your ability to be considered a "mechanic". i see you work at a nissan dealership...

you still have not aswered how you used a multimeter to read the o2 sensor

you also have yet to fill us in on how you (in your own words) "i am watching the air/fuel ratio all the time."

and what readings the multimeter gave you

no offense but i think you MIGHT be fibbing a little... this is NOT to make you look bad, this is an attempt to provide the most accurate information available to someone considering a future mod..
Old 02-13-2003, 12:36 PM   #23
oc civic

my original intent was NOT to make you lok like an idiot BUT just to validate that you don't know what you are talking about i instant messaged you, as did my friend who is a mechanic and to be honest you are a baffoon, you said you are a "machanic" (mechanic is proper spelling) and you give out horrible inaccurate information. You cannot use the stock O2 sensor because it is not a wideband sensor and will not give you an accurate representation of precise A/F ratio. Then in IM to my friend Paxtonpwr who is a real tuner, when he asked you what your A/F was you said it was on"paper" and he said 10:1, 9:1 as a joke and you told him that would blow up the motor and was too lean. Well anyone who has a clue knows that 10:1 or lower would be very RICH , because 14.7 is stoichiometric A/F = ( atmosphere is 14.7:1) and represents a complete combustion process but that would be much too lean in production automobiles so most cars operate best naturally aspirated around 13:1 or so, poweradder cars will usually be a little lower 12.5:1 or so for safety You are another wannabe tuner with no experience you changed oil at a nissan dealership (and was fired) and think you are master mechanic, you have no knowledge and could cause people to damage their motors. you should really refrain from giving out information that is inacurate, OR that you are not %100 sure of.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:35 PM   #24
foxygrandma

First off, I would like to apologize for the mess my little brother has caused. I posted the first response saying i bought one from ebay. It was just something to try. My engine is mostly stock and I just thought it would be fun to see what it would do. I did use a multimeter to check the air/fuel ratio. The numbers were between .4v and .3v from idle to full throttle. Those arent exact numbers, thats just what I remember. Once I found out the chip was safe and not running too rich or lean, I stopped using the multimeter. The chip did make a very nice gain. While I was out of town, my brother decided to reply to all the postings after my inital post. I am terribly sorry for the mix up my little brother has caused, but would like to let you know that I did do a lot more when I was a mechanic than change oil. I wasn't fired from Nissan, I quit to move back to my hometown. I am not the best mechanic out there and I don't give information about things I am uncertain about. I also have changed my password so it will not happen again. If I can possibly say anything else to clear this up, please ask away and i will be happy to explain. I am especially sorry to oc civic for the IM that you had with my brother. I don't know what all was said but I do know it was not the nicest IM you have ever had.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:56 PM   #25
oc civic

Quote:
I wasn't fired from Nissan, I quit to move back to my hometown.

Quote:
when you just got fired from your job

you say you weren't fired BUT in the EARLIER post in the thread

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...0859#post90859 you say you were fired... you sure do LIE a lot... and before you say OH that was a differant job.. in a post a little before that one you say "i work for a nissan dealer so this is making me feel pretty stupid having to ask this"

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...2284#post72284

so you were OBVIOUSLY fired (unless that was also your brother.. lol)

The MORE you post the BIGGER the hole gets... some sound advice from a fellow honda enthusiast.. bounce now.. make up a new user name come back and DON'T lie.. then maybe you won't have any problems..

just shut up now.. ive read just about EVERY one of your posts.. picking them apart... i could go on all day about you
Old 02-13-2003, 06:25 PM   #26
foxygrandma

i cant believe you would put that much effort into my life. you are wrong about getting fired from nissan. that was the job before nissan. the thing about the oil pressure switch is that i was looking at it from the top of the engine and everything was really oily and dirty, making it hard to see. i just get back into town after dealing with a death in the family and this is what i have to deal with. Just to stop you before you try to make another accusation, my brother is a half brother and thats why he didnt leave town with me. my little brother is just now getting into cars and thinks he knows more than he really does. he mostly repeats the things he hears from the losers at his school. i can sort of understand your point of view, meaning it seems weird that it happend this way. but if i was in this conversation throught the whole thing i would have just given up and not come back. i am not afraid to admit i am wrong when i am, but this is getting out of hand. i like it here and dont want to have to leave. there are plenty of things i dont know about and can learn them here. i know a hell of a lot more about nissans than hondas, but i am building up my crx, so obviously i wont know everything about a honda. thats the whole reason i am here. i wish i knew more about the situation, but all i have is this thread and his side of the story. thats not much to go on. i didnt get much out of him, he is very vague about the whole thing.