::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2003, 06:21 AM   #1
nekcuttR

Need Some Help With My Civic Performance

I would be really thankful to anyone who would like to help me with my 2001 Civic LX.

Im having trouble deciding whether to work on my intake or exhaust right now. I have a budget of like 300 and i would like some ideas on what i should do. If im working on my intake im going to buy a Intake kit something like AeM cold air intake unless someone has a better idea ( suggestions? ). And if i go Exhaust im thinking of buying a muffler ( not sure which i should buy ) cutting my old one off putting it in place and taking the catalytic converter off ( not sure if i can do that yet cuz of sensors and stuff ). I would like to put a header but i asked my dad ( mechanic who thinks he knows everything ) if a header would boost my hp much and he said it wouldnt ( would like some feedback on that ) thankx
Old 02-06-2003, 07:01 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Get a K&N drop in filter and an exhaust.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

dont just get a new muffler that would be a waste of time. change the cat if you want but also change everything from there back...catback exhaust... Just getting a muffler isnt gonna do squat diddly. If you want it to be inexpensive just take it to midas/mineke/tuffy and have them put on a custom 2.25 or 2.5" pipe all the way back from the cat and then one of their mufflers. Or just buy a whole system and put it on yourself.
As for the intake: yeah a k&n will be a good investment and they are pretty cheap so you could easily do both for now. Accel makes those new blue ones and I hear theyre just as good and cheaper too.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:27 AM   #4
Azkikr111

i just got a K&N drop in for my dx it was $40 including shipping from Cali (i dont know why they didnt have it here, but oh well)

my gas milage went up about 5mpg, throttle response increased, and hp had a significant noticable change....the best part 1 million mile warranty (never spend $ to buy a new filter) and the oil used to clean the filter is fairly cheap (especially when compared to the price of a new stock paper filter)

im satisfied.......

as for an exhaust....i think id like to get a high flow cat, cat-back, and some 4-2-1 headers eventually...(ill prolly save money by just getting a test pipe from midas and bypassing the spending of a cat all together)(though this is illegal, my midas does it to most of the people that request it w/o a receipt) yeah, no immisions test is the best thing about this old person's state(Florida)
Old 02-06-2003, 08:40 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

^why spend 2X as much to have midas do it when you can pick one up from eGay for like $25 and do it yourself?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
oc civic

basic bolt ons on a STOCK civic LX will do ABSOLUTELY nothing but make your car louder...

your car auto or stick???
Old 02-06-2003, 03:55 PM   #7
Shot 2 Hel

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
basic bolt ons on a STOCK civic LX will do ABSOLUTELY nothing but make your car louder...

your car auto or stick???

Its a stick. are you sure? No matter on what car, even mine, I have never EVER heard that changing the exhaust and intake wouldent add horses. But yeah dude i wouldent just change the muffler, go with the entire exhaust.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #8
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by Shot 2 Hel
Its a stick. are you sure? No matter on what car, even mine, I have never EVER heard that changing the exhaust and intake wouldent add horses. But yeah dude i wouldent just change the muffler, go with the entire exhaust.

i mean SURE you MIGHT get 3 hp... but IMHO why bother.. he has $300

$300 = some ghetto hoopty exhaust and a drop in filter

OR

$300 = COULD be a used nitrous oxide kit....

5 hp or FIFTY... which would YOU pick
Old 02-06-2003, 04:38 PM   #9
Shot 2 Hel

he could save up, but i thought you meant total. GET A JOB TOMM

oh yeah, on a stock civic, nitrous would blow his engine sky high. I know how he drives. Plus i wouldent get a nitrous kit that only cost 300, if your gonna get one get an NX or NOS kit.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #10
oc civic

Quote:

oh yeah, on a stock civic, nitrous would blow his engine sky high.<--this is ONLY true if he has ABSOLUTELY no idea how to drive.. nitrous can be used on a BONE stock car..

I know how he drives. <-- if he really sucks that bad he should PROBABLY not waste his tiem since his car will breakl anyway

Plus i wouldent get a nitrous kit that only cost 300, if your gonna get one get an NX or NOS kit.<-- my NOS kit BRAND new was $425.. my friend has a used NOS kit for sale for $300... so YEAH you unfortunately are not too in touch with parts cost..
Old 02-06-2003, 06:33 PM   #11
armyguy5
3rd Gear

need at least like 500 for a THermal R&D...i would say save up for the turbo but HKS isn't releasing one for your engine. Do not get a DC sports header there crap. theres a couple companies out there that are better. hmm if u wanna do look u can pick up some new tails for like 100 and painted or halo lights for 150ish...stock fogs for 100....go to www.2k1civic.com they have some links there or PM me and i'll let u know where i get my stuff from

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:51 PM   #12
iRACEmyCTR

$300 to a stock lx is a very difficult choice. You know you want to go faster, but with only $300 you're limited to bolt-ons. I'd say purchase a generic intake on Egay. Then purchase a K&N filter to put on it. Viola a nice new K&N for like $50. Then I'd purchase a short shifter and learn how to use it. So you've got about $200 left now. Buy coilovers and drop your car. Congrats, you now have a respectable throaty sound when you rev, you can shift faster, and your car will look much better and also handle much better. Finally, get a job and get enough money for the K20 swap.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #13
nekcuttR

Thanx Guys But...

Thanx guys but i think imma work a while and trade my Civic LX in for a Civic Si sounds good right but if you wanna give some suggestions on what i could do to it would be cool sorry bout all the other time Thanks tho
Old 02-06-2003, 08:01 PM   #14
armyguy5
3rd Gear

get an 02 ex =) many mods HKS turbo comes out in march

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:23 AM   #15
oc civic

im not you.. btu if i were i would NOT buy
a NEW si
or ANY single cam

if the goal is to go fast... id get a 99-00 SI
or ANY gsr...
Old 02-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #16
slowEJ6

since i dont have the time to make a worthwhile post, listen to oc civic. he'll steer you in the right direction
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:03 AM   #17
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by slow ej6
since i dont have the time to make a worthwhile post, listen to oc civic. he'll steer you in the right direction

HHHHHHHAAAAAAAA... oh so true.. lmfao

thats signature material..
Old 02-08-2003, 11:05 AM   #18
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
im not you.. btu if i were i would NOT buy
a NEW si
or ANY single cam

if the goal is to go fast... id get a 99-00 SI
or ANY gsr...

or a 4th generation prelude with a h22. if your looking for performance, remeber... money, downtime, headaches, and failure. no one builds a car and never had a problem

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:12 AM   #19
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
or a 4th generation prelude with a h22. if your looking for performance, remeber... money, downtime, headaches, and failure. no one builds a car and never had a problem

NOT to down the prelude... but is it heavy or something.. because i rarely see it in the spotlight as a good performing ride?? i mean i see its motot used constantly... btu the car it self seems useless in the tuner world? i saw a REALLY NICE silver one from the northern part of the country before spotlighted in one of those mags... adn it looked good but that was it really?
Old 02-08-2003, 11:20 AM   #20
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
NOT to down the prelude... but is it heavy or something.. because i rarely see it in the spotlight as a good performing ride?? i mean i see its motot used constantly... btu the car it self seems useless in the tuner world? i saw a REALLY NICE silver one from the northern part of the country before spotlighted in one of those mags... adn it looked good but that was it really?

well.. they are heavy, but they outhandel everything besides the type-r stock, and modified, they are deadly. bolt ons you get get low 14's to high 13's and usualy 12's with a tuned turbo. they kinda stayed out of the mainstream because of the price(25k+) but there is a HUGE amount of prelude only sites around the internet.. preludeonline.com, honda-prelude.com hondaprelude.com just to name a few. they dont have the hybrid ability of the b-serise, so you basical stuck with the h22 it comes with... not that its a bad thing, but you cant go overkill on the hp/weight ratio with a stock motor like a civic can. then run faster stock than most people get with their sohc civics after tons of mods. its much more fun to drive IMO than a civic or a teg. the styling is awsome too IMO

Old 02-08-2003, 10:34 PM   #21
Shot 2 Hel

alright this is kinda a battle between a civic driver and a lude driver.... hmmm sounds interesting
Old 02-09-2003, 01:13 AM   #22
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
alright this is kinda a battle between a civic driver and a lude driver.... hmmm sounds interesting

oh no, i dont wana sound like BUY A PRELUDE im just saying the options.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #23
oc civic

and the battle is EASILY solved.. lol the BEST civic.. IMHO is a 92-95 CIVIC with an H-22.. lol if i had the time AND money id do it..