::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2002, 08:10 AM   #1
james_willson1

underdrive pulleys

who in your opinions makes the best pulleys?

It"s time to start working under the hood and I think after the cold air intake this is the next best place to go.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:52 AM   #2
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

From what I understand.....most underdrive pulley's work the same. No one company makes a better one. I could be completely wrong, and if I am....Sorry. But I think it just depends on what color you want.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
SupaSlowCivicDX

Ok Dude, I'm not speaking from experience here, but I heard that the underdrive pulley for the crank is a pain in the butt to install, and you pretty much need to pull the engine to get it on. I've also heard that that's the only pulley with which you would see actual gains, like 2 hp at most, on the dyno, thats with the water pump pulley and alternator too. I wouldn't spend my time pulling the engine just for the pulleys, I'd put that money toward a catback, and wait for a time when you're doing some major engine work to slap on those pulleys. They do look damn good though... Whatever you want though, its your car.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I have the set of AEM pulleys. They don't do a whole lot, but they may help the bottom end a little.

The AEM set is a "safer" way to go. It just deals with the power steering and alternator pulleys. The UR changes the crank pulley, and I don't believe that it incorporates a harmonic balancer (Someone verify this? There has been contraversy about that). The UR set gains much more power than the AEM set though.

If you really just have a CAI, I'd recommend getting an exhaust next. The gains will be much better. I have just a CAI and pulleys, and I'd rather have an exhaust.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:37 PM   #5
alpine3069

are you guys serious!! i heard that they helped you a lot
Old 01-27-2002, 11:19 AM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by alpine3069
are you guys serious!! i heard that they helped you a lot

The UR set will help much more than the AEM set. On exception is that one guy with a V6 Accord on another board dynoed 10 hp gain with the AEM set. Pulleys are something to do after I/H/E IMHO.

Old 01-27-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
It"s time to start working under the hood and I think after the cold air intake this is the next best place to go.

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Pulleys are something to do after I/H/E IMHO.

I gotta agree Accord...Take some time and put a nice header and some exhaust before anything. You'll notice more if you do that then spending money on pulleys IMO??? I honestly think wait a while to put on the pulleys.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 01-27-2002, 05:53 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dereks civic
I honestly think wait a while to put on the pulleys.

Yeah, learn from my mistake. I put them on after just a CAI, and I think it was a waste of money. I should have put the money toward an exhaust.

Old 01-27-2002, 05:56 PM   #9
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:

Yeah, learn from my mistake. I put them on after just a CAI, and I think it was a waste of money. I should have put the money toward an exhaust.
And besides....I just don't see the point untill your doing serious werk to your engine.

Old 01-29-2002, 02:25 PM   #10
james_willson1

thanx guys I think I will go to the exhaust / header for more power next.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:06 PM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by james_willson1
thanx guys I think I will go to the exhaust / header for more power next.

Excellent choice

Old 01-29-2002, 04:11 PM   #12
Giddings

Hey all, I am actually in the process of installing the AEM Pulleys on my Civic, but I'm having some trouble with the power steering pulley. I got the belt off and all, and we thought that we had loosened the bolt that holds the stock pulley on, but after literally a half hour of supposedly unscrewing it we realized that we were getting nowhere. The bolt does turn, but it doesn't seem to be making any progress towards coming off. Is the screw stripped, or is there something I'm just missing? Thanks...
Old 01-29-2002, 07:48 PM   #13
alpine3069

they say that they increase you throttle response? will it do that? because in my car it seems to hesate a little
Old 01-29-2002, 09:22 PM   #14
SWIFT

well, i've seen many people including my buddy buy these pulleys then after like 3-4 months, they take em off and put back the oem ones. there's really not much power gain w/ these so im not a big fan and will never buy...
Old 01-29-2002, 10:07 PM   #15
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Giddings
Hey all, I am actually in the process of installing the AEM Pulleys on my Civic, but I'm having some trouble with the power steering pulley. I got the belt off and all, and we thought that we had loosened the bolt that holds the stock pulley on, but after literally a half hour of supposedly unscrewing it we realized that we were getting nowhere. The bolt does turn, but it doesn't seem to be making any progress towards coming off. Is the screw stripped, or is there something I'm just missing? Thanks...

Welcome to HS.

That's strange that it just keeps spinning. There is a chance that its stripped. Did you use an impact wrench to loosen it?

Old 01-29-2002, 11:41 PM   #16
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:

Welcome to HS.

That's strange that it just keeps spinning. There is a chance that its stripped. Did you use an impact wrench to loosen it?
yeah that's what i was thinking?