Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
91AccordLX

H22 swap question!

Hello everyone,
I was checking the possibilities of swapping an H22 engine into my 91 Accord LX, when today I found a local junkyard that has a 97 USDM H22 engine with only 20k!! miles for $1700, did I mention it only has 20k miles!?... but the only thing is that it's for engine only. No transmission, etc. They said it was a long block, aren't all H22s long blocks? or are there different types?
Anyway, I wanted to know which other parts would be needed to put the engine in? IE: which OBD/ECU, sensors (assuming they're bad/broken),etc, and if I can use the Accord parts like for sensors and mounts or will I need new ones? and how much would those parts cost. I know this is a really good price for an H22, especially a 97 USDM and with only 20k miles.. so I'm really anxious to know how much else I would have to spend to get this engine only working. I know all this has been answered in all the other posts, but I need a quick, concise answer as soon as possible so I'll know if I should go buy the engine before it's gone. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:51 PM   #2
silver

Re: H22 swap question!

Quote:
Originally posted by 91AccordLX
Hello everyone,
I was checking the possibilities of swapping an H22 engine into my 91 Accord LX, when today I found a local junkyard that has a 97 USDM H22 engine with only 20k!! miles for $1700, did I mention it only has 20k miles!?... but the only thing is that it's for engine only. No transmission, etc. They said it was a long block, aren't all H22s long blocks? or are there different types?
Anyway, I wanted to know which other parts would be needed to put the engine in? IE: which OBD/ECU, sensors (assuming they're bad/broken),etc, and if I can use the Accord parts like for sensors and mounts or will I need new ones? and how much would those parts cost. I know this is a really good price for an H22, especially a 97 USDM and with only 20k miles.. so I'm really anxious to know how much else I would have to spend to get this engine only working. I know all this has been answered in all the other posts, but I need a quick, concise answer as soon as possible so I'll know if I should go buy the engine before it's gone. Thanks!

first off i can get an h22 w/tranny around that price. You will need to buy mounts. You will need to buy a tranny. Is the wiring harness cut? I say you forget it and get one that has everything ready so you aren't buying every individual part to put it together.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
slowEJ6

isnt a 91 Accord OBD0? 97 H22A is OBD2.
i dont know about the swap at all, im just wondering how much of a pain in the ass its going to be to do the swap - if any.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
91AccordLX

I thought all 90-93 4th gen Accords were OBD1?? and supposed to be the easiest to swap an H22A into? I'm going to try to go and see the engine for myself this weekend to see if the wires are cut and what condition the engine is in.. I don't want to pieice together everything if it's just going to cost the same as a complete swap "kit".
Old 01-17-2003, 02:37 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 91AccordLX
I thought all 90-93 4th gen Accords were OBD1??

Either way, the engine you found is OBDII. This presents problems, as I believe there is an extra O2 sensor? and also different wiring to go to it, etc. I don't know the details though.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

well.. it can be done.. the block and head can be used. the obd2 uses a different computer, and wiring harness, but essentialy the same motor can be used. you CAN use your tranny, but you'd need an obd1 p13 ecu, and you would have to hardwire the vtec soiliniod. you wouldnt need mounts, but for 2000 you can get a full sway using a correct tranny, get the ecu and axles with it. walk away from this. its not really worth it

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Longblock-complete engine: bottom end + head
Shortblock-just the bottom end
Complete swap-engine, harness, ecu, tranny.

as for the engine will drop right in, no motor mounts required. the painful part is gonna be adapting the harness from obd2 to odb1. and not all the 90-93 accords are obd1. 90 is pre-obd

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:25 PM   #8
91AccordLX

Quote:
walk away from this. its not really worth it

Damn, if only it was a full swap. Especially since I live in California, a USDM H22 with only 20k miles would have been perfect for smogging. Guess I'll go back to looking to turbo my F22 instead
Old 01-17-2003, 03:47 PM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
Longblock-complete engine: bottom end + head
Shortblock-just the bottom end
Complete swap-engine, harness, ecu, tranny.

as for the engine will drop right in, no motor mounts required. the painful part is gonna be adapting the harness from obd2 to odb1. and not all the 90-93 accords are obd1. 90 is pre-obd

he can use his stock harness for the most part. he will need to run the vtec soiliniod wire, i think thats it. OBD2 is in the computer, not the engine. the extra sensors are in the cat. he might need to add a knock sensor if the f22 dosnt have it.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:24 AM   #10
skyline18
Parked

sorry for raising the dead here but i have a similar question. hows 1250 sound for the engine, I gotta check the miles on it but i know no matter what its not even half what i have on my f22a1 right now. And about this OBDI and II thing. The 91 has a I and the prelude 97 has II what exactly am i doing to trick it here am i just using the prelude ecu or am i having to change so more things?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you could run a 92-95 prelude ecu, or if you could find a gsr ecu.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:49 AM   #12
skyline18
Parked

so all i have to do is get the engine and add ons and then just get a different ecu? because that would be great.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:51 PM   #13
topsocial

There was once a blind man who had so fine a sense of touch that, when any animal was put into his hands, he could tell what it was merely by the feel of it. One day the cub of a wolf was put into his hands, and he was asked what it was. He felt it for some time, and then said, "Indeed, I am not sure whether it is a wolf's cub or a fox's: but this I know -- it would never do to trust it in a sheepfold."
Evil tendencies are early shown.