Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Install.

Hey I need help. I have 1 12" JL and a panasonic amp and panasonic CD player. What my question is....the sub and amp I don't want in a box...I want a custom install. ANy ideas? Pics? Links? Plese post them....I need some help.!!!

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 09:10 PM   #2
Maxvla

head over to your local high dollar audio store. they can get you hooked up with the custom install. be prepared to either spend some serious dough or learn how to fiberglass and spend all of eternity building it yourself.
only get the custom install if you absolutely want it, cause you don't need it. some custom installs don't sound as good as just a regular box sitting in an untouched trunk, but most sound as good or better, depends on the quality of the install and the materials used.
if your jl and panasonic amp aren't top of the line be prepared to be laughed at. they will still do it for you but they will be chuckling the whole time... lol.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Nahhh...I don't want something ****ing amazing...just something nicer then a big black box sitting in my trunk.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 04-15-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
black95gs-t

what model jl 12"? and what model pan amp? what kind of music do you listen to? the style of box you choose will vary depending on the type music you listen to.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:20 AM   #5
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

12WO
and a GM-x742 amp

Old 04-16-2002, 12:34 AM   #6
Maxvla

somebody's real proud of how much money their stuff cost... thats for sure. *cough* black95gs-t *cough*

and no im not jealous.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:01 AM   #7
black95gs-t

are you sure that it is a panasonic amp? the gm-x742 is a pioneer 1, 2, or 3 channel amp. you could bridge it down to 2 ohm's if you had another 12 W-0. the JL 12 W-0 takes 125 watts RMS if i am not mistaken. if you bridge the amp down to 1 channel it should sound nice. as far as the box goes, if you listen to alot of rock music you are going to want a sealed box. a sealed box is ideal for that woofer. most woofers tend to last longer in sealed boxes. sealed boxes put out a cleaner, crisper, and punchier sound. but they are not as loud as other types of boxes. when it comes to sealed boxes, simpler is better. a square is the best design. i know all of your friends have their woffers facing the back of their trunk, but if you turn it around and face it toward the front of the car, not only will it sound better, but your trunk will rattle less. if you listen to a little rock music some techno and some rap, a ported box will be louder and boomier, but will not be as clean and crisp as the sealed. if you only listen to rap, then you can get a bandpass. bandpass is the loudest, but it cannot play the complex bass tones that are found in most rock songs. with fast, complex bass the bandpass seems slow and muddy at best. it will how ever go BOOM pretty good. as far as wire goes for that amp don't buy anything more expencive than 8 gauge power and ground. if you really want to you can buy $40 RCA's, but unless you will be using it for competition you really only need the $10-$15 ones. remember don't run power and RCA's on the same side of the car. if you want, www.jlaudio.com has some potential box designs on their site. let me know how it turns out.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Last edited by black95gs-t : 04-16-2002 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:04 AM   #8
black95gs-t

more proud that i did it myself and just to show the incredible markup in the car audio industry. i did like the *cough cough* though

Old 04-16-2002, 01:46 AM   #9
Maxvla

thats cool.. .you work in a shop or own one?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:38 AM   #10
black95gs-t

i've worked in a three. 2 here in dallas. 1 in college station. only one i would go back to though. i did not have too much success though. i am more of an installer than a salesman. and all 3 were sales jobs. after i posted the thing about the boxes, i went and looked at some of the other threads and noticed that you had said the same thing about a month and a half ago. sorry bout that bro. didn't intentionally copy you. didn't know you said it till after. do you work for a shop? you know what you are talkin about.

Old 04-16-2002, 02:46 AM   #11
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
sorry bout that bro. didn't intentionally copy you. didn't know you said it till after. do you work for a shop? you know what you are talkin about.

don't worry bout the copy thing...

i try to know as much as i can.. actually ive never worked at a stereo shop. i work at a fine instrument sales/repair shop (ie violins, violas, etc.)

you see my humble system there... it pounds though. money doesnt come quick for me.

also i was kinda abrupt earlier sayin proud of cost... yadda yadda... sorry. i just don't like people coming in strutting their fat wallet. its ok to post what you have but jeez. don't put the cost on there... my personal feelings- leave it on there if ya like.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:55 AM   #12
black95gs-t

Actually for me to make that system, I had to save up for 3 years. thats 3 years of bologna samiches and water at just about every meal. And had to postpone my dream of attending Texas A&M for a little while. I know it sounds kinda stupid but I figure if I am just taking my basics anyway, and I still don't know what I want to do with my life, it would be a good choice to go to community college and save mad money. And the truth is I am not going to go to A&M. I am going to mechanics college and signing on with BMW's U.S. division. After 2 years of school i will be making 80 to 100k a year. I used to play an instrument like that. And if your wondering, no i have never met an amatuer as knowledgeable in this subject as you.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:00 AM   #13
Maxvla

10x = thanks (if'n you didn't know)

BMW thing sounds cool. when your finished you can build me the current M car for free... lol.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:12 AM   #14
black95gs-t

like i said i wasn't tryin to brag, but to let people know how much the company's are makin in profit on them. the employee discount is added to the total of all the other prices to get retail. generally places charge double what it costs them in markup. thats messed up huh? but i am gonna think about changing it though. i was tryin to go for one of those american express commercial things. oh well. back to the drawing board.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:15 AM   #15
Maxvla

i know my tornado kenwood subs retailed for 129.00 each.
i got them from my dad's friend who works at Audio Midwest here in OKC for cost. 47 bucks each. lol.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:41 PM   #16
black95gs-t

did anyone besides me notice that like the 20 most recent posts in the forum are mine? dang. i'm goooood. j/p

Old 04-26-2002, 10:55 PM   #17
Maxvla

i'd be posting more if there was more traffic... seems the people who need help don't check in very often... its me, you, and accordman talking about other people's situations and they don't ever add more to talk about.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #18
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
i'd be posting more if there was more traffic... seems the people who need help don't check in very often... its me, you, and accordman talking about other people's situations and they don't ever add more to talk about.

Does it also seem to you that you have gotten completly off topic and are talking now about your stereos and future dreams??? No this isn't a shot at you and yes I have been watching this thread for some advice but nothing came about it.
Quote:
What my question is....the sub and amp I don't want in a box...I want a custom install. ANy ideas? Pics? Links? Plese post them....I need some help.!!!

I now have the install done. Not exactly the way I wanted...I have the stereo in my new Del Sol and am not completely happy with it. So I will try again soon. I just wanted some advice on how to put a 12 inch sub in and an amp. Sort of custom but not costly.
http://www.hondaprelude.com/resource...ermarket&id=31
just one that I found....I found a few more...however I lost the links. I now have ideas and maybe I'll do them one day.

Old 04-27-2002, 08:10 PM   #19
Maxvla

well i didn't know you wanted to do it yourself... i thought you were asking about professional installs... there's a thread in here with a link to a site about a custom sub install that literally walks you through all the steps and some advice on how best to do things... next time i won't assume people have used the search button. my bad.

the reason i didnt say much after my initial post is cause most pro installs are basically the same. just tell them how you want it and they do it... there's really nothing to discuss here. you just go in and get it done. so... <shrug>
Old 04-27-2002, 11:44 PM   #20
black95gs-t

you know...... i think that in all of the vehicles that i have worked on, not one has been a del sol. i would however assume that a box would greatly decrease trunk space in one and i would probably just do an amp good pair of 6.5's and some really nice 6x9's if it were my car.(incedentally i am thinking about going to this setup in my car. MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH lighter that what i currently have. just a little FYI) with enough power using the right 6x9's they can sound like a pair of 8's. i am interested in seeing how it will turn out though. whatever you choose.
J

Old 04-29-2002, 02:03 PM   #21
black95gs-t

that link that you showed, it wasn't a del sol was it? i thought they were 2 seaters. and the first time i read your post i read it wrong. i now realize that you already have it finished. can you post some pics? i am really interested in seeing the install.
J

Old 04-30-2002, 09:41 AM   #22
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I would have no problem with posting any pics...but as you....well...maybe haven't noticed yet...I don't even have pics of my del sol on here yet...I don't have a scanner or digital camera yet....I'm saving for one tho.

Old 04-30-2002, 12:44 PM   #23
black95gs-t

thats cool. i don't have any pics of anything either. about not sending you any links with del sol ideas, i really don't know of any custom install sites. the only sites i know are major manufacturer sites. when i give info on here it comes directly from my brain. sorry i wasn't able to help you more on your question.
J

Old 04-30-2002, 02:04 PM   #24
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

No worries.....I'm now trying to find step by step install fiberglassing sites.....I'm going to have a seriously nice install when I'm done...which will probably be this winter...cause I'll park the del sol.

Old 04-30-2002, 02:30 PM   #25
black95gs-t

just out of curiosity, why fiberglass?
J

Old 04-30-2002, 03:54 PM   #26
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

basically for show purposes......I want my del sol to be looking hella tite

Old 04-30-2002, 04:10 PM   #27
black95gs-t

there are two reasons why i don't like fiberglass. just keep these in the back of your mind. 1. its hard as hell to do and work with if you haven't ever done it before. 2. if you are in a wreck, you will probably need to make a whole new box.
J

Old 05-01-2002, 11:44 AM   #28
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I know it's hard...we bought a boat that had the bottom broken out of it..so we had to refiber glass the bottom and repair it.
how would I make a custom enclosure that isn't a gross box.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:55 AM   #29
black95gs-t

like custom wood box?
J

Old 05-01-2002, 11:43 PM   #30
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

YUP....just pretty much MDF cut up and sanded down to make a smooth finish hey?

Old 05-09-2002, 10:59 PM   #31
black95gs-t

well it depends on the equipment you have. you can make a really nice false bottom to your trunk, then cover it in vinyl. you could do alot of things. e-mail me the specifics and i'll help you more.
J

Old 05-10-2002, 03:13 PM   #32
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Well I'm thinking of selling the del sol...so don't worry about it.

Old 05-15-2002, 10:17 PM   #33
black95gs-t

sorry i could not help you earlier.
J

Old 05-15-2002, 11:36 PM   #34
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

psh don't worry about it man....it's all good.