::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
IALuder

some more Qs

For those that have turbos.. after riding out for a while do u turn the car off emmidiately or do you all have turbo timers? If u dont have one then what do u do? Jus let the car sit for a while then turn it off?
Also what alternative is there for oil feed lines.. i mean.. that oil gets pretty damn hot.. whats the best solution to cool the bearings down the best that you know of.

Oh yea and why are oil lines so small.. pressure?

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

yeah i used to think the same thing, but they move a lot of oil. It's crazy to see these honking turbos with little oil lines and it's still sufficient (well, to a point anyway).

Umm yeah defiantely get a TT. You can get them for $100 and they're relatively easy to install. I'd suggest them even on cars that are stock (wrx's and the like), because after an hour of beating on my buddie's rex that bitch would get hot, really hot.

If you don't have one, it's not going to cause huge problems unless you're in boost a lot, then yah you should let it cool.

what do you mean alternative lines? like materials? most supply lines are a Stainless Steel braided hose, and return hoses can vary. Mine will drain into the pan, so it's some sort of strong rubber shit, but some drian back into a sandwich adaptor that connects to the oil filter and those are usually SS braided as well.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

Turbo shaft does not require too much volume of oil. It just needs enough to keep the journal (or ball) bearing lubricated as it spins. Bigger feed lines means more volume and more fluid volume means more pressure which can overpressurize the bearing area eventually leading to blowing up the shaft seals. I have seen other people even put inline orifice to keep the flow slower.

I highly recommend a steel braided/high temp/petroleum compatible material. I have even seen people use stainless steel tubing, which really did cross my mind to do the same.

If you dont have a turbo timer, sit in your car for at least a minute on idle. What it does is refresh the hot oil from the turbo shaft. It flushes the hot oil out and evenly cools down the lubricating system. The consequences of this can directly affect the life of your turbo. When hot oil is stationary, it has a tendency to "cake" and turn into a sludge. Over time, sludge will start building up and can eventually seize the turbo shaft......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
IALuder

thanks fellas.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
IALuder

what about the bearings on it.. those spin pretty damn fast. Yes theyre designed to compress but if you push it too much those bearings will go out. How does the water cooling work? And what if u make the inlet on the turbo larger? It probably wouldnt work im guessing since its deisgned that way but jus curious like the title says

Old 03-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
JDMFantasy2k

well i have heard that turbos can spin up to 100,000 rpm.

of course if you over spin it that's bad too. How that happens i have no clue (i bet arnel does). There's also a point where the tip of the compressor vane reaches the speed of sound and that's bad too.

and don't make the inlets/outlets bigger. The company that made the turbo knows more than you, they made it that size for a reason. And water cooling is pretty simple. Just uses the coolant from the engine in another closed chamber of the turbo to cool it. Pretty basic. Some have it, many don't. To me it looks like another thing to hook up (and potentially break), but if it works then i guess its worth it.