::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2002, 11:23 AM   #1
FasterThanLight

w00t! 95 GS-R brings me to the club...

edit: ---- Oooh... I just realized I didn't check around this site too much for whether or not it was just Hondas... hope not. Anyway, back to our regular broadcast----

I'm pretty amazed at the size and ferocity of the internet community devoted to Acura and Honda cars. Here's a little of my background:
I've always been an "American Muscle" kind o' guy. Back around when the Integra I just bought was brand new, I had a '67 Mustang- all go, and absolutely no show. Not to say that it wasn't nice looking, but how to phrase this- it was 30 years old. A real street terror. Ran mid-thirteens, got around 8(!) miles per gallon. Turned heads and sounded fantastic. To this day, I liked the way that car sounded better than any other I've seen. But I digress.

I'm going to get into some rough water here- the following paragraph may portray me as incredibly ignorant(among other things). When I saw the previews for "The Fast and the Furious", all I could think of was "WTF?!?!?!!?". I based my reaction on plot- being older than 13, I couldn't really relate. But- the important thing that I got when I actually watched that movie was how much can be pulled from the "silly little imports" that I had previously scoffed at. "Harry, I need NOS" might be the most stupid thing I've ever heard anyone say. I wanted a turbo Supra- but wow, they're still in the $30-40k range... no thanks.

Anyways, it's about a year later, and I found and purchased an immaculate '95 GSR with 73k miles. I've had it for three weeks. The windows will be tinted to 50%vlt on the door windows and 5%vlt on the rear three next week. I picked up some clear bumper lenses, with amber lights, and I bought a bra for it too. Not sure I like the way the bra attaches in the fenderwells, but here are way too many bugs on the way to and from work.

I don't know what else to call the car other than superb. I've got big plans for it, the least of which involves a Jackson Racing supercharger. I haven't decided if I want to keep the car looking "sleeper-ific" or if I'll do suspension, rolling-stock, and exhaust mods. Time will tell. Whee! I love my new used car!

Happy Motoring!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 11:39 AM   #2
blownteggy

welcome aboard..if you need any tech info on the Jackson, i'd be more than happy to help you since i own a JRSC on my teg(mine's a LS, but i know the gsr setup as well). Glad to see another "sleeper" car in the works....i can't stand all that bodykit and big wing stuff that is out right now. the only bodykit i would ever put on my car is a jdm ITR front conversion. once again welcome aboard
Old 05-09-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

welcome to the board.

and about the fast and the furious don't worry about it. we talk a lot of crap about it.

what happened to your stang ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:48 AM   #4
FasterThanLight

<snip> i can't stand all that bodykit and big wing stuff that is out right now. the only bodykit i would ever put on my car is a jdm ITR front conversion. once again welcome aboard [/quote]

Oh man, at the risk of starting a flame war, I totally agree... the "one foot off the trunk lid" body-colored wing is bad enough... but the alum/carb. fiber look is totally off the hinge, in such a bad way. To each their own, that was just how I feel about them. If anyone has an alum/carb. fiber wing, more power to you.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:51 AM   #5
FasterThanLight

what happened to my stang... i changed out the rear gears for 4.11s... turned it into a nearly un-streetable monster. I needed a commuter. So, bye-bye uncomfortable brute, hello sh!t-box econo-car. I was just a kid back then and couldn't afford both. :( Oh well.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:51 AM   #6
blownteggy

yeah...i'll probably get flamed but oh well i can back up what i say when it comes to cars...my favorite "mod" is the roof scoop on cars...yet another non-functional "mod" for a street car
Old 05-09-2002, 11:55 AM   #7
FasterThanLight

blownteggy... actually i would like some tech info on the JRSC... i've peeped their website, and it is fluff. i work right across the freeway from modacar, which is pretty convenient, and the people there have been nice.
did you run into any problems installing and/or using the supercharger? what kind of boost do you run? and iirc, the gsr runs 2 points higher on compression than the ls?
Old 05-09-2002, 12:41 PM   #8
blownteggy

modacar is a cool store...the install had no problems, look into investing a apex vtec controller
to correct the the fuel and adjust vtec engagment
Old 05-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #9
blownteggy

you can also purchase the upgrade pulley from jackson to increase the boost
Old 05-09-2002, 12:53 PM   #10
FasterThanLight

cool, very cool... your integ is a sleeper?
Old 05-09-2002, 01:06 PM   #11
blownteggy

sho nuff is...it's kinda outta commision right now since i can't pass smog..
exterior mods: none, just lowered on H&R Race Springs and ITR exhaust...i took off the clear turn signals and put the stock ones back on. i kinda like the clears cuz the don't have that cheesy reflector on them.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:49 PM   #12
mylittlecivic

Welcome to the wonderful world of imports , good choice on the teg

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #13
Honda_Gurl

howdy, hello & welcome to HS

ya i agree, nice choice on the teggy. i would love to have one for myself...
Old 05-09-2002, 03:16 PM   #14
FasterThanLight

Yeah! When I found my car it was at a dealership in Sacramento. I've purchased there before, and both times I've left feeling like they got robbed (which, btw, is a wonderful feeling). It had one prior owner- a married couple in their 70s (I did my research). So the thing was maintained religiously, and unless they had some wild grandkids or something, I don't think the car got much abuse. Until I got it... heheheheee... kidding, sort of. I was back at that dealer again just two days ago, with a friend that wanted a car. I was talking to the salesmen, and they all remembered my car. One of them told me he bet the sales manager $500 he could sell the car for $13,500. I got it for 11,700. Muahahaahahahaa!!!!
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know of an online source for a JDM type-r motor?

Also, H_Gurl, at first I thought it was funny that you said "howdy" being from texas and all. But then I remembered I say "howdy" all the time.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:43 PM   #15
4jacks

Hey Welcome Aboard..

Someone show this man some of the better Rice Sites...

I hate sleepers... It's like they pull up next to me and start revving on me... and I'm just like ... No go away.. your all stock. At least when you Race a ricer, you kinda know what your racen.

ya go ahead and Flame me, but when I get my three and a half foot stainless steel racing wing and my Carbon fiber functionaly blowing air everywhere it need not be Hood Scoop... then you'll all be Hella Jelous.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 03:48 PM   #16
Honda_Gurl

Quote:
Originally posted by FasterThanLight

Also, H_Gurl, at first I thought it was funny that you said "howdy" being from texas and all. But then I remembered I say "howdy" all the time.

lol, ya i know i don't really talk texan at all, i still got a lot of californian in me since that's where i'm originally from. but ya i do say howdy a lot...
Old 05-09-2002, 04:09 PM   #17
FasterThanLight

Quote:
when I get my three and a half foot stainless steel racing wing and my Carbon fiber functionaly blowing air everywhere it need not be Hood Scoop... then you'll all be Hella Jelous

4jacks... i'm not gonna hate... i'm... aah... too entrenched in my beliefs to azyn my car. plus if i keep my car stock looking i won't attract attention that i don't want or need. oh and btw, you're just mad for being beat when you think you're hella faster than the other car...

<cartman> man, i'm hella hungry </cartman>

I just noticed you drive a Civic HX---> lean burn? Who you racin'? How you racin? jfwy.......
Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 PM   #18
LudeBitch

Hiya and welcome to HS!
Old 05-09-2002, 11:46 PM   #19
blownteggy

hey faster...what dealership in sac did you buy the gsr, cuz i'm thinking bout parting out the ls and then trading it in for a gsr or i might sell the ls and use the money to fix up the rx7 sum more:
*can you say 600 hp?*
BTW this is the erebuni kit i was thinking about,
runs around 4k for Fiberglass Front Bumper,Hood,Front Fenders,Grill; OEM Radiator Support and OEM Lights.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:12 AM   #20
FasterThanLight

Quote:
hey faster...what dealership in sac did you buy the gsr, cuz i'm thinking bout parting out the ls and then trading it in for a gsr

I went to Niello(nee-low) Acura-Porsche. They've got a consistently good selection of used Acuras, and the salesmen are helpful but in no way pushy. Nice, relaxed atmosphere. And, no, I have no affiliation with them, I just like what I've seen.

Quote:
BTW this is the erebuni kit i was thinking about,
runs around 4k for Fiberglass Front Bumper,Hood,Front Fenders,Grill; OEM Radiator Support and OEM Lights.
I think that's a nice looking kit... try to make sure you see one of their products installed, in person, before you buy it... unless they have a fantastic reputation(and i've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything) fiberglass can really suck if done poorly.

I was getting on the freeway yesterday, and I had my tunes going a little. There were a bunch of suckass drivers in the vicinity, so while I was accelerating, I was paying attention to maneuvering, and not the tach... blehblehbleh... I hit the rev limiter. DOH! Thought I could drive by ear... I guess not. Maybe a small shift light is in order... no monster tach though. So, how high did I spin the motor?

<RAMBLE> When I bought the gsr there was hardly a speck of dirt on it anywhere, they had steam-cleaned the engine compartment, and detailed the rest of the car pretty well. I test drove the car (of course) and everything went fine. To be honest, I didn't know quite how cool the car was when I drove it. I didn't wind it up any more than 6 grand (so, no, I didn't know it had barely started breathing at that point). Anyway, two days later, on my way home from work, I'm getting on the freeway, I start to roll into the gas... and cough-cough, sputter, sputter, VROOM, cough-cough, VROOM. "Oh sh!t", I think. Then I think, bad fuel? Water in gas? Ignition cut-out? I limped the car home from Dublin to Sac, and called the dealer. They told me to bring it in the next morning. When I did, all the problem turned out to be was water in the spark plug holes, under the plug wire cover. But my point is, they'll take care of anything reasonable, even after you leave the lot. Long story, small point. Hehe...</RAMBLE>
Old 05-10-2002, 02:01 PM   #21
blownteggy

yea i heard of niello, my aunt bought a boxster s from them last year
Old 05-10-2002, 03:19 PM   #22
blownteggy

you can find step-by-step instructions on installing the JRSC on your gsr here
hope that helps if your doing the install yourself
Old 05-10-2002, 03:25 PM   #23
FasterThanLight

Supa-dupa fly... thanks for the link, that's a good one.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:53 AM   #24
DsBlu01CivEX

Blownteggy...I dig that kit a lot. It's simple. and I'm all about simple lookin cars.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 03:33 PM   #25
4jacks

I just noticed you drive a Civic HX---> lean burn? Who you racin'? How you racin? jfwy....... [/b][/quote]

HEY BUDDY... Can You SAY 40 mpg !!!! Yeah !!! And the HX is the same power plant as the EX, cept with a modded V-tech and different gear Ratios... plus i'm lighter =P

And don't worry about me i'm the Village Idoit...

But when you see that 4' high Hood Scoop coming at you in the rear VIEW... then it's all GOOD !

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:09 AM   #26
FasterThanLight

Quote:
... Can You SAY 40 mpg !!!!

Um, well I can say it... but I can get 30, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Especially with the amount of quickness that the car has... it's so wonderfully responsive... i love getting off the freeway and onto a frontage road, then back on the freeway about a half mile ahead of the cars i was with before...
Old 05-14-2002, 11:41 AM   #27
blownteggy

hey faster, what else are u planning for the car? besides JRSC
Old 05-14-2002, 12:43 PM   #28
FasterThanLight

welp... let me see. here we go, in this order, probably.

- jrsc and a'pexi ws cat-back (guess that's not going to be exactly a sleeper, but i want a little bit of urgency to the exhaust note)
- 17s or 18s ( racing hart d6000, konig caffeine, 5zigen fireball bronze, or voxx argus)
- 1.25 inch drop
- 13" brembo brakes
- front apron(the mesh havin' kind) and body colored ground effects. i don't want to replace the lights... i love HID but it's a lot of money... um, like i don't have a lot of money listed here already

plus little bits here and there.

sound system...
cd deck and changer
PPI amps
mb quart separates
jl audio subs

that's all i can think of for now, but i'm at work... hehehe
what do you think?
Old 05-14-2002, 01:08 PM   #29
blownteggy

oh sh!t i sold my fireball rims for like $900. that paid for the port and polish job and the ported JRSC and throttle body and some money in my pocket. i was thinking about the HID conversion too but damn that alot of $$$. have you though about buying a vtec controller yet? eveyone seems to like the world sport exhaust. i prefer my ITR catback sytem though. to each his/her own...
Old 05-14-2002, 01:24 PM   #30
FasterThanLight

forgive my ignorance, but i'm not sure what the "ITR" in "ITR catback" stands for... and then, yes, i have considered the vtec controller. i likely get it... whee!

i need to get around and hear the different exhausts out there. what i've read about the ws makes me want it, but i don't really know how it sounds. if i'm ever in oakland area, maybe i can check out your ride... that would be pretty sweet.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:48 PM   #31
blownteggy

itr= integra type r...from what i've heard thw ws is the cleanest sounding exhaust out right now
Old 05-14-2002, 02:23 PM   #32
FasterThanLight

so then... is the ITR catback a jdm part or adm, and how does it sound?
also i think i might mod my intake a bit to be a little noisier, but i'm not sure. i don't want "got rice?" if you know what i mean.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:33 PM   #33
blownteggy

i got it from the usdm ITR. it sounds pretty good, nice and quite when cruising and then BAM it picks up in volume and you accelaerate
Old 05-14-2002, 02:42 PM   #34
FasterThanLight

that's exactly what i'm looking for... i don't want my ears to bleed after 5 minutes on the freeway...
Old 05-14-2002, 02:54 PM   #35
blownteggy

i priced the ITR system from acura dealerships and they were charging like $400-500 for. i said F#ck You to them. i had my pipes mandrel bent with 2.5 inch piping. i bought the ITR muffler off a guy for 80 dollars. retail on the muffler is $260...
Old 05-14-2002, 11:19 PM   #36
FasterThanLight

yet more useful information... thanks pal... i'll have to check out the itr exhaust sound and compare it to the apexi ws... and now, the moment you've been waiting for... j/k
here's my car:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3fourths integ at boneyard.jpg (19.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-15-2002, 02:00 PM   #37
blownteggy

nice ride faster..let me know if you're planning on selling those gsr rims...i got first dibs
Old 05-15-2002, 05:02 PM   #38
FasterThanLight

roger that...
is your screenname a take-off on motegi? what? it could happen...
Old 05-16-2002, 11:35 AM   #39
blownteggy

naw...blown is slang for supercharged, teggy is my integra..it does kinda sounds like motegi though...
Old 05-16-2002, 11:43 AM   #40
FasterThanLight

Quote:
it does kinda sounds like motegi though

yeh... yahoo... i was pretty sure that wasn't it and it's self explanatory otherwise, i was just trying to make things complicated i guess.

what's a safe RPM for the motor to cruise at? i commute from sac to dublin and back every day and i don't want to hurt the car too much while it's my daily driver. 4200? 4500? i *could* spend half an hour searching the web for the math that figures piston speed and rod angularity, but i don't want to