Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2002, 12:43 AM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Changed my radio and the dome light stopped

I think the title says it all. I chenged my factory radio to an aftermarket (Dont we all?) and now the dome light doesnt come on anymore when the door is opened. How can I fix this?? Also the factory keyless entry stopped working as well. If I buy an aftermarket keyless entry setup will there be any problems?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

First thing to do is to check your fuses. Go ahead and do that to see if the problem is fixed.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #3
BrandonClaps

in your civic you need to get a special Y wiring harness and the factory headunit (where keyless and dome light is controlled) gets placed behind the cupholders.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg

I know the light is controlled in the head unit, and that its not the fuses (checked that first). So I have to just keep the stock radio plugged in though? I really dont have room for that because I have a DVD player in the lower din opening.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
BrandonClaps

it fits behind there
Old 06-02-2002, 08:22 PM   #6
blind34_1

um, just an idea but check the door switch for your dome light. (the switch that closes when door is opened to turn on light) Mines is sticky and sensitive and doesn't always work, specially on the pass side.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:46 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg

Nope, I checked that too. I think I'll just lengthen the wires that were on teh stock radio and put that under the passenger seat. then it all should work. I just wont run the speakers, antenna, or anything else unneccessary. Just the power, backup, ground, and the security plug. It should take about 100 ft or so of 14gauge wire and a lot of time but its a fool-proof idea.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:15 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
in your civic you need to get a special Y wiring harness and the factory headunit (where keyless and dome light is controlled) gets placed behind the cupholders.

damn honda really has the head up in the ass. who was the idiot that engineered that ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:28 PM   #9
BrandonClaps

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Nope, I checked that too. I think I'll just lengthen the wires that were on teh stock radio and put that under the passenger seat. then it all should work. I just wont run the speakers, antenna, or anything else unneccessary. Just the power, backup, ground, and the security plug. It should take about 100 ft or so of 14gauge wire and a lot of time but its a fool-proof idea.

you NEED that wiring harness, otherwise it won't work, there is like 2 harness in the back i believe.
99-00 they changed it to the correct way :few:
Old 06-03-2002, 08:54 AM   #10
Mushroom

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
I think I'll just lengthen the wires that were on teh stock radio and put that under the passenger seat. then it all should work.

I think that's the easiest way to do it. You can fit the stock head behind the dash, but it's a *really* challenging fit. I thought about dissecting it to get the remote entry receiver hardware out and wire up the rest by hand, but never got around to it (and now I can't find the stock radio... hmm...)
Old 06-03-2002, 11:19 AM   #11
BrandonClaps

they make a wiring harness for the 2001 cavalier so it can be put into the trunk, maybe they have one like that for the civic check metraonline.com
Old 07-09-2002, 01:38 PM   #12
ripthesystem

did you ever get this fixed/figured out?

I'm having a similar problem while changing my GF's stereo to aftermarket in a 91 Tercel.. Her presets won't stick after the car turns off and now the dash clock and the dome light won't come on.. ugh!!

ripthesystem
Old 07-10-2002, 02:02 AM   #13
BrandonClaps

her presets don't work cause the yellow wire isn't seeing constant 12v
Old 09-25-2003, 11:15 PM   #14
hooohaa2

resurrected....

I am having a problem with my factory head unit/dome light/keyless entry as well. I posted in "my car is broken."

post link

I just now put it all together though, I didn't realize that these systems were all interrelated. I have a cd changer which likes to skip for long periods, and my dome light rarely ever (once in 2 years) works, also, my keyless usually works, but occasionally I have to hit it more than once. Could my head unit be the culprit?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:41 AM   #15
pdiggitydogg

holy crap this was one of my first posts!
totally back from the dead
Old 09-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #16
BrandonClaps

the reason your dome light and if you have keyless entry doesn't work is because you need a special wiring harness from metra/scoshe. You need to put your stock radio behind your cup holders because it controls those functions, and then the wiring harness goes up to your aftermarket. You won't see your stock radio. Hope this helps ;D
Old 09-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
hooohaa2

but I don't have an aftermarket anything. My head unit is stock, my cd changer is a dealer installed accessory.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:51 PM   #18
hooohaa2

I like the search tool, pdig. I wish more people would use it. to be honest with you, I just enjoy exhuming the dead!
Old 09-28-2003, 12:54 PM   #19
pdiggitydogg

always fun to be a necromancer eh