::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
pimpdaddypatca

1.5 to 1.6si swap

So im new to the honda world. im just wondering right now i have a 1.5 sohc non vtec motor... im wondering if i can put a 1.6 si sohc non vtec in my car and if so will it bolt up to the existing motor mounts and plug into everything else. or do i have to mod anything... i can pick one up with only 10 thousand kms on it for 300 bucks so im jus wonderin....
help me
Old 09-15-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

first of all, welcome to HST

second of all, what are you looking for basically? are you just looking for a new motor because yours sucks, or for just a little more performance?

Basically if you have a d15, then swapping to a d16 should be cake. (hence the motors are the same series so the mounting locations and everything else are the same) Couple things you need to watch for though:

1. what obd is the engine. basically obd (on board diagnostics) is the generation of your wiring and ecu on your engine. (from OBD0, OBD1, and OBD2)

here's a good reference...
http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/inde...howtopic=29825

try to keep the same OBD, otherwise it's going to be a lot more complicated.

2.vtec. you said your engine now isn't equipped with vtec. If you're gonna ge a new engine that has vtec it'll have to be wired in. I'm not sure how to do it, but i know there's some tech articles that say how to do it.

but quite simply, anything can be done to hondas, (remember there are engine mount kits) it all just depends on what you're looking to accomplish, and how much cash you have
Old 09-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
pimpdaddypatca

my motor sucks the vavles are goin so ive been told and for parts and labour i figure swapin the motor would be more fun for me haha did it in a previous car before.. i sent you a pm with more details.....
as long as it will bolt up to my tranny and hook into the existing wireharness and not have to swap anything out i thinks id be good
Old 09-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think they bolt up. someone did that to a del slow a few days ago

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #5
JDMFantasy2k

another thing, are you getting just the motor?? most of the time and engine swap comes as an engine+tranny package (along with a ton of other stuff) just to make things simple.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
pimpdaddypatca

this is stricly jus the motor its self.. i was told everything should bolt right up i called a few mechanics around here.. they said shouldnt be any issues in that aspect... should bolt in and turn on with no problems
Old 09-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
JDMFantasy2k

yeah, should be fine. Like i said as long as the engine is in the same series it should be fine (usually)

hence...

a b18c can bolt up to a b18b tranny.

so d series engine to a different d series tranny should be no problem
Old 09-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
IALuder

actually i did this swap. D15 to D16 in a 93 civic coupe long time ago.

you need motor ecu and vtec sylanoid(sp?). it would also be a good idea of getting the tranny to. different gear ratio. sence one is vtec one is not. longer vs shorter. vtec has short gears.

you cannot just drop a D16 into a D15 spot and plug n play. you got the vtec and the ecu to controll when vtec kicks in.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:06 AM   #9
blind34_1

Re: 1.5 to 1.6si swap

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpdaddypatca
i have a 1.5 sohc non vtec motor... im wondering if i can put a 1.6 si sohc non vtec in my car

he won't have any vtec issues, because i'm guessing he'ss talking about a d16a6. I've heard of having to convery from dual point injection to multiport injection in some cases (at least in the case of 4th gen civics). There are tech articles for that all over the place.

You're current transmission will bolt right up as long as its a D series. Although if you can get ahold of an Si transmission, thats all the better.

are you currently a 4sp or 5sp?
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #10
pimpdaddypatca

its actually automatic so go me hahaha.. but yea its NON vtech and there should be no other issues to deal with besides rippin the 2 motors out and replacing them:P
Old 09-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #11
blind34_1

not sure if your current ecu will work. Or if it does, it wont work well. You'll want to find an automatic Si ecu, which is pretty rare if not impossible to find.

you may want to consider a manual conversion. its tough, and requires fabrication, but thats what I would look into.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote