::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
dtroy

which year has best engine

ok im wondering which year of CIVIC has the best performance or performance potential?

the civics i'm talkin bout are ones i'm able to get my hands on cheap. not like type-r s or right hand drivers.

and if there isnt a real good answer, what engine type is good with a few mods, like heads or forged pistons, something like that.

i heard 95's are good i have no reason y they say it is

if u can help me out that would be awesome
thanks
Old 04-03-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
IALuder

92-95 are one of the best. why? they have more of a performance selection. easy to maintain and upgrade cheap!

96-99 are one of the best. Why same as 92-95. but the difference is this model looks way better.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:06 AM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

out of all the civics that came out in USDM, 99-00 and 02 civic Si has the most base horsepower. Followed by the civic EX and EG Si hatches.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by SFKing
92-95 are one of the best....

^^What he said...

If you want to 'build' a SOHC Honda engine, the D16Z6 is THE one to use. It's the best SOHC engine Honda ever made. They can be built to over 250-HP...

A Z6 block with a Y8 head is best combination. Why? A Y8 head has a slightly smaller combustion chamber volume - and I mean slight. It will give you .5:1 [dot-5] more compression. Y8 blocks, on the other hand, are prone to main/rod bearing failure. Why? I don't know, but it's common knowledge. So, the hot setup is a Z6 block with a Y8 head, or just forget the Y8 head and the .5 higher compression ratio.

Then there's the OBD1 vs OBD2 situation. The advantage should be obvious to anyone except a newbie; so, no explanation necessary. Also, with a Z6 engine you don't have to deal with a crank fluctuation sensor, knock sensor, dual heated filament broadband oxygen sensors and all that happy horsesh!t.

I would guess that there are more bolt-ons and internal parts available for Z6's than any other SOHC Honda engine, but I don't feel like playing Perry Mason, so don't bother asking.

To round out the package, go with a chipped P28 ECU using the stock harness...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:43 AM   #5
dtroy

nice thanks for the information.

i think i'm probably gonna go for a 96-00 because more up-to-date look. but not ruling out the 92-95 at all

i'm new to the scene of hondas and those companies.

i would also would like to know how much hp would a 96-00 engine get if it had like a totay overhaul. like blueprint the engine, cross milling, forged pistons, new heads, new cam, new crank, valves, rods, lifters all that.
or should it be better with an engine swap, but i dont know which it should be.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:39 AM   #6
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
^^What he said...

If you want to 'build' a SOHC Honda engine, the D16Z6 is THE one to use. It's the best SOHC engine Honda ever made. They can be built to over 250-HP NA...

A Z6 block with a Y8 head is best combination. Why? A Y8 head has a slightly smaller combustion chamber volume - and I mean slight. It will give you .5:1 [dot-5] more compression. Y8 blocks, on the other hand, are prone to main/rod bearing failure. Why? I don't know, but it's common knowledge. So, the hot setup is a Z6 block with a Y8 head, or just forget the Y8 head and the .5 higher compression ratio.

Then there's the OBD1 vs OBD2 situation. The advantage should be obvious to anyone except a newbie; so, no explanation necessary. Also, with a Z6 engine you don't have to deal with a crank fluctuation sensor, knock sensor, dual heated filament broadband oxygen sensors and all that happy horsesh!t.

I would guess that there are more bolt-ons and internal parts available for Z6's than any other SOHC Honda engine, but I don't feel like playing Perry Mason, so don't bother asking.

i wouldnt say going to a y8 head is the best. the z6 head flows better at higher rpms, while the y8 does better at lower rpms. the y8 does have the better cumbustion chamber, but alot of places can weld up the z6 for like $150 so that its just as good.

so i'd say z6 w/ filled in combustion chambers is the best bet.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

or a y8 w/ smoothed ports
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
JDMFantasy2k

yea i'm the dumbass newbie, what's obd1 and obd2?
JDMFantasy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
or a y8 w/ smoothed ports

actually the test by zexman(i think) was a stock z6 vs a ported y8, results were the same. more topend with z6, more low end with y8.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #10
AkimboStylee

OBD-On Board Diagnostics
OBD
OBD I
OBD II
in which the order they came out, if you got install a series 0 in you series 1 car you need a wiring harness to switch from obd-obd1 and so on!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
AzCivic

most people with obd II switch over to obd I.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
^^What he said...

If you want to 'build' a SOHC Honda engine, the D16Z6 is THE one to use. It's the best SOHC engine Honda ever made. They can be built to over 250-HP NA...

ok first of all 250 HP naturally aspirated with a Y8 head? WTF? I would like to see one of these make that amount of power and be drivable. I think u are living in a dream world on that. Your other problem is the Y8 head is very very restrictive. I definately agree with Azcivic here. Your higher compression ratio over the Z6 head doesnt make a difference when the Z6 head outflows it by a ton. Even a fully ported Y8 head still wont flow as much as the stock Z6 head. Definately stay with the Z6 head.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:10 AM   #13
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
ok first of all 250 HP naturally aspirated with a Y8 head? WTF? I would like to see one of these make that amount of power and be drivable...

LoL! Oops! I don't know why I added that 'NA'. I have corrected it.

Anyway, yes, huffed you can get 250HP out of a D16Z6. Edelbrock claims 175HP streetable and 240-250HP on the track...

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...act/turbo.html
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:16 PM   #14
Honda_Tengoku

ok. Turbo, got ya. Now that makes sense. I have heard good things about the Edlebrock kits. As far as turbo goes pretty much the sky is the limit. It just depends on how much money u want to throw at it, and what type of fuel u are willing to run.