::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
IALuder

aem uego wideband

Hey guys i'm planning to pick up the aem uego wideband a/f gauge with o2 sensor. the thing i'm wondering about is that i will need to install the o2 prior to the cat, but i dont want to have a bung drilled into my downpipe. So my question is, can i have a bung drilled before the cat, about the same location as the secondary o2 area? would that be the best spot? i'm not planning to run any testpipe as well. i have a highflow carsound cat.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

Well, I've done some research on proper placement of O2 sensors for WB applications. I came to a conclusion that it should be between 20-30 from the exhaust ports or for turbo set-ups, 20-30 inches from the turbine housing. According to a few manufacturers, that distance will be the most reliable and most acurate.

If you think about it, it makes sense. The farther it is in the pipe, the slower the exhaust flow, due to desipating heat. Heat travels from hot to cold. With the distance of 20-30 inches, the sensor is protected from too much heat which can cause the integrated heated element to fail. Also, the exhaust flow is more stable in that area for better reading. This scenario allows more of a representative of what your motor is doing. Too close to the turbine (exhaust port on N/A cars) may not reflect what all the cylinders are doing. Sensor being too far may delay the reading of what the cylinders are doing.

Another tip is not to touch the sensor itself. Moisture on your finger can mess up the readings. Lastly, position the sensor upright as much as possible. Expanding gas gathers floats.... this can give you more acurate readings on idle, which is when gas flow is scarce.

I hope that helped....
I have that AEM UEGO with gauge. I also have it tapped on my AEM EMS. That is basically what my primary O2 sensor is. The OEM O2 sensor is just there to plug the hole......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
sicones

hey therm whats a better WB in your opinion the AEM, Innovate or PLX??
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Actually, they are all about the same. They are all good. Of course, on non-AEM ones, the more expensive it gets, the better.

It also depends on what management you have. If you want your wideband to work with your management or use it as a primary O2 sensor, then you must get something compatible. AEM UEGO is obviously compatible with AEM EMS. I heard that Hondata S300 is only compatible with the Innovative WB... maybe PLX too. I do know that people has issues with their AEM UEGO not working with their S300.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote