::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2003, 02:42 PM   #1
reeve

Read Before You Buy A Motor

THis is pretty lengthy but it will do you good to read/reply.

Re: STREET IMPORTS.COM
I recently purchased a 1st Gen B16a LSD 5spd from this company.
If anyone is looking into buying a motor from Japan,

I DO NOT recommend this company.

There were so many things that I just was not satisfied with, not to mention their idea of customer retention.

I was very excited when I first purchased and could not wait for the swap.
I paid $1350 (swap)+ $300(LSD)+$350(shipping)=$2000.00

When I first unwrapped the motor, I noticed a great deal of corrosion on the intake manifold, block, tranny. Looked like overheating corrosion. I naturally feared the worse. Now if they pressure wash like they say they do that would not have been the case.
Several sensors broken:MAP, TPS, etc.
A smashed in heat sheild.
Damage to where the head meets the valve cover. (dent 2" long)
It just looked like a big.
Anyway, the swap went as usual: transferring wire harnesses, starter, alternator, injectors, distributer,etc.
Once started, the clutch would not engage. THE CLUTCH WAS BAD. I feared a ragged out motor.
When I separted the block from the tranny, what did I find:
TODA RACING FLYWHEEL mated to a TODA RACING 3 PUCK CLUTCH. (I dont think either are salvagable, maybe flywheel)
Some people may think this is a good find, but it tells me alot about the history of the motor. I was not happy and feared the worst.
So I ordered a new Clutch/Flywheel from CLUTCHONLINE.COM(Exedy/Xact) very great customer service.
The first thing that I feared was if this motor killed a badass clutch/flywheel it has been raced. AND WHAT IS THE FIRST THING TO HAPPEN TO HONDA TRANNY'S IF THEY ARE DRIVEN REALLY HARD?
You guessed it: 3rd Gear Synchro starts to go.
You guessed it: My 3rd Gear grinds at any RPM shift.

Guess what? Street Imports.Com do not warranty their transmissions. HOW CONVIENIENT.
I PAY $300 extra for a tranny that I will have to replace, in the near future. I am pissed .
Not only does it grind, but the shaft on the tranny that connects to the shift linkage is bent....

I contacted LUCAS at StreetImports.com, all he did was feed me ALOT of JARGON on how the differance between him and I is that he considers himself "an informed consumer" and realizes that since their is no warranty, there is a risk.

On top of that they sent me an AUTOMATIC pr3 ecu. When I told him about that he tried to talk me into keeping it, by saying that it isnt any different. BULLSHIT....it redlines at 7600.
He was VERY reluctant to take it back.

In conclusion, BUYER BEWARE look else where before being sold on this company's "60 DAY Major Defect Warranty"...
they say its the best warranty.....but it's basically fool proof for them... READ THEIR WARRANTY FULLY!!!
There are alot of loopholes. IT WILL END UP COSTING YOU MORE TO EVEN START A CLAIM:
think about it:Restocking Fees, Shipping, Labor, your time lost. etc, etc.etc.
Then they are the judge if its a valid claim or not....

If anyone wants to ask me any questions so that I can make sure that this does not happen to you, please feel free to do so.
antreeveus@hotmail.com

I thought I shopped around good enough but i obviously did not.
REMEMBER SHOP AROUND>>>ALOT
and DO NOT BUY FROM--StreetImports.com
Old 06-04-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
OPAKRACING

Re: Read Before You Buy A Motor

Quote:
Originally posted by reeve
THis is pretty lengthy but it will do you good to read/reply.

Re: STREET IMPORTS.COM
I recently purchased a 1st Gen B16a LSD 5spd from this company.
If anyone is looking into buying a motor from Japan,

I DO NOT recommend this company.

There were so many things that I just was not satisfied with, not to mention their idea of customer retention.

I was very excited when I first purchased and could not wait for the swap.
I paid $1350 (swap)+ $300(LSD)+$350(shipping)=$2000.00

When I first unwrapped the motor, I noticed a great deal of corrosion on the intake manifold, block, tranny. Looked like overheating corrosion. I naturally feared the worse. Now if they pressure wash like they say they do that would not have been the case.
Several sensors broken:MAP, TPS, etc.
A smashed in heat sheild.
Damage to where the head meets the valve cover. (dent 2" long)
It just looked like a big.
Anyway, the swap went as usual: transferring wire harnesses, starter, alternator, injectors, distributer,etc.
Once started, the clutch would not engage. THE CLUTCH WAS BAD. I feared a ragged out motor.
When I separted the block from the tranny, what did I find:
TODA RACING FLYWHEEL mated to a TODA RACING 3 PUCK CLUTCH. (I dont think either are salvagable, maybe flywheel)
Some people may think this is a good find, but it tells me alot about the history of the motor. I was not happy and feared the worst.
So I ordered a new Clutch/Flywheel from CLUTCHONLINE.COM(Exedy/Xact) very great customer service.
The first thing that I feared was if this motor killed a badass clutch/flywheel it has been raced. AND WHAT IS THE FIRST THING TO HAPPEN TO HONDA TRANNY'S IF THEY ARE DRIVEN REALLY HARD?
You guessed it: 3rd Gear Synchro starts to go.
You guessed it: My 3rd Gear grinds at any RPM shift.

Guess what? Street Imports.Com do not warranty their transmissions. HOW CONVIENIENT.
I PAY $300 extra for a tranny that I will have to replace, in the near future. I am pissed .
Not only does it grind, but the shaft on the tranny that connects to the shift linkage is bent....

I contacted LUCAS at StreetImports.com, all he did was feed me ALOT of JARGON on how the differance between him and I is that he considers himself "an informed consumer" and realizes that since their is no warranty, there is a risk.

On top of that they sent me an AUTOMATIC pr3 ecu. When I told him about that he tried to talk me into keeping it, by saying that it isnt any different. BULLSHIT....it redlines at 7600.
He was VERY reluctant to take it back.

In conclusion, BUYER BEWARE look else where before being sold on this company's "60 DAY Major Defect Warranty"...
they say its the best warranty.....but it's basically fool proof for them... READ THEIR WARRANTY FULLY!!!
There are alot of loopholes. IT WILL END UP COSTING YOU MORE TO EVEN START A CLAIM:
think about it:Restocking Fees, Shipping, Labor, your time lost. etc, etc.etc.
Then they are the judge if its a valid claim or not....

If anyone wants to ask me any questions so that I can make sure that this does not happen to you, please feel free to do so.
antreeveus@hotmail.com

I thought I shopped around good enough but i obviously did not.
REMEMBER SHOP AROUND>>>ALOT
and DO NOT BUY FROM--StreetImports.com

Very good post, very useful...sticky?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
AzCivic

I hope your going to all the Honda boards with this.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:44 PM   #4
reeve

Can anyone give me the URL's for other HONDA FORUMS...

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #5
chase

register with www.hondasociety.com and tell it in the forum(s) that it belongs in. a bunch of people over there have been screwed by other places, so i am sure that the rest of the people there would appreciate it as well.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:32 PM   #6
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

thats what happens when you buy motors online.

Get it from a store :P

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 04:49 AM   #7
slowEJ6

nothing wrong with buying motors online as long as its through a GOOD company - such as.... www.hmotorsonline.com or www.passwordjdm.com
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:11 AM   #8
reeve

Any other URL's????
Old 06-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
chase

www.h22a.org if i didnt mention it and also www.collectiveracing.net but they do most all of their business with hmo.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:09 AM   #10
JZ Performance

Ouch, that sucks... :o