::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2002, 01:33 AM   #1
yelizardking

integ. type r

hey can you do a great ammount of modification to a type r motor so it can haul mojor ass. or is already maxed out? (let's say i want to go all motor)
Old 04-04-2002, 02:31 PM   #2
blownteggy

if you ever come up to the bay area. ask about SVP..Speed Velocity Performance the have a ITR hittin' low 12's All motor.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:15 AM   #3
slowEJ6

no its not already built to its peak.....thatd be one lame engine if it was. its very capable of being very fast, just gotta have the money to build it up.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:44 AM   #4
blownteggy

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
no its not already built to its peak.....thatd be one lame engine if it was. its very capable of being very fast, just gotta have the money to build it up.

the guy has only had is car for a year now. give em a break...with the amount of $$$ that's going into this car, it will be hittin low ets.
oh yeah they're good friends with the whole Skunk2 racing team.
Steve the head mechanic for Skunk2 is helping them out with the ITR
Old 04-05-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by blownteggy

the guy has only had is car for a year now. give em a break...

I think Hybrid was referring to the original question, not your reply.

But yeah, the engine has tons of potential if you have tons of cash

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
blownteggy

my bad
Old 04-05-2002, 03:49 PM   #7
blownteggy

here's pic of the car
http://www.picturedot.com/FetchImage...mageI D=17248
Old 04-10-2002, 11:32 AM   #8
Integra221

The ITR motor can be built up very well. Im not really sure what magazine i saw this in but, I remember a ITR with full interior no weight reduction really, that ran a 13.2 putting down 205 to the wheels. There was probelly about 2000-2500 grand in the motor from what i can remember. But this 13.2 was on street tires so yes it is very posible to make an all motor itr.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:22 AM   #9
yelizardking

as inspectoer gadget once said .."wowsers" that's pretty great, mkaes me think twice b/4 i decide on what engine to choose for my baby.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #10
Integra221

Also if you think about it the type r ways more than your civic and the type r runs 14.8 stock. So if you put intake exhaust headers and factor in the less weight thats probely low 14's with very simple mods.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:20 AM   #11
yelizardking

so very true
Old 04-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #12
OneDopeTeg

todaracing.com had an ITR making like 205whp, imagine this B18C5: JR supercharger, Apexi' VAFC (tuned), Unorthodox pullies, 2.5in header (spoon, mugen, DC JDM etc), test pipe in place of cat, exhaust, CAI, cams and cam gears (skunk2, crower, toda), JG edelbrock 65mm TB, higher flowing injectors accompanied by a fuel pressure riser (again tuned), an ignition and some denso plugs, JG Edelbrock Victor X intake manifold, everything ported and polished....granted that would be an expensive set up but it just demonstrates what is possible....that would make some pretty nice HP on any B-series VTEC engine....INCL the B18C5
Old 04-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #13
Azkikr111

***creams in pants and smacks head on table as he falls to ground drooling***
Old 04-27-2002, 04:55 PM   #14
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by Azkikr111
***creams in pants and smacks head on table as he falls to ground drooling***
DopeTeg, you can clean up that mess.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:45 PM   #15
Azkikr111

hehe, im recovered now :-P
Old 05-01-2002, 06:19 AM   #16
slowEJ6

btw......i know a guy with a very nice JRSC setup. hes highly unpleased due to the fact that things keep breaking due in part from the JRSC.
from all the money it sounds like he has spent on fixing things, it kind of makes me want to stay away from a JRSC.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:49 AM   #17
Azkikr111

what is JRSC?
Old 05-01-2002, 02:34 PM   #18
blownteggy

Quote:
Originally posted by Azkikr111
what is JRSC?
Jackson Racing Superchargers...

Quote:
btw......i know a guy with a very nice JRSC setup. hes highly unpleased due to the fact that things keep breaking due in part from the JRSC.
from all the money it sounds like he has spent on fixing things, it kind of makes me want to stay away from a JRSC.
what else has he done to his car, cuz my teg is running perfectly fine with the jrsc. is the supercharger the cause of the broken parts?
Old 05-01-2002, 07:18 PM   #19
slowEJ6

Originally posted by blown96HB
well, I can tell you one thing for sure about the intercooler. There will be fitment issues once its on the car. The JRSC is so packed in as it is, I can barely get my hands around the oil filter, and some of the sensors on the back of the block are already hidden by the blower. I think this will work if the intake itself is revised, perhaps with a sheetmetal version that will bring the blower up higher in the engine compartment. Now, as for my experience with the JRSC, on a 1998 Integra Type R, here goes.
I got the kit with the stock 5.5 psi pulley, and with basic bolt ons, ran 14.2 at 99 and put down 196HP @wheels on dyno. I had no problems whatsoever with the system, but damn, after spending $3k on mods, you'd think it should be a little more powerful. So, on went the 8psi pulley, cam gears, MSD ignition, more gauges, etc. I was able to run 4 consecutive 13.0 runs @105-106mph. I dynoed at 219.6HP and 154.4ft lbs. torque. At the time of the 13.0 runs, my car weighed 2705lb. It was frustrating to be that close to a 12 second run, with nothing to tweak or adjust to get that extra tenth. I should add however, that I still had no problems at all with the system, and the runs were made pretty much back to back. I did try icing down the SC, and waited 2 hours for it to cool, and one last clean run netted a 13.1, so I gave up the hunt for 12s that day.
After using the system for approximately 10k miles, the alternator gave up. I got it replaced under warranty at acura(I know somebody), I dont know for sure if it was caused by the supercharger. Ready for more power again,
I knew then that upping the boost some more would be impossible without more fuel, and my stock injectors were already maxed out. also, anyone familiar with the JRSC knows you have to remove the blower entirely to change pullies. I needed a quick power boost, and nitrous was the answer. I used a Nitrous Express dual fogger system, which sprays fuel AND nitrous. I jetted it for a 50 shot, sprayed right into the supercharger, hopefully cooling it down a lot as well as giving the typical nitrous boost. It worked like a charm, knocking almost 7 tenths off my time. I got my best 60foot time ever, a 1.78, on to a 7.90 1/8 mile, then a 12.33 at 112.9 mph in the 1/4. Unfortunately the micro switch on the throttle failed during that run, and I was unable to back it up that day. I was extremely happy with that setup, and I still had no problems. The real test of the blower came on a long trip to florida, covering some 2,000 miles. Halfway through the trip, I noticed a whistling sound coming from under the hood. It sounded kinda cool, but I knew something was wrong. After close inspection, I found 2 cracks in the JR manifold, obviously stress related. I tried to JB weld it back together, just to make it home, but that didnt work. This turned out to be the least of my worries, as not too long after that, the throttle cable snapped, right on the little roller JR uses to re-route the cable. I was able to rig the cable with a butt connector, but I had to be very delicate with the throttle, or it would come apart again.(this happened 5 times). I also noticed 5 teeth missing from my timing belt, after 32k miles. On a possibly unrelated note, I shattered the bearings on the passenger side axle as well, causing the car to shudder at highway speed. after I got back from my trip, I was ready to throw the whole thing away. I knew I would not be happy without some sort of power adder, and at the time, turbo was out of the question. I kept the blower on there, and added more and more mods, hoping to run 11s, a first on a JRSC ITR. Sometime after that trip, I also managed to pop the ring lands on the #3 piston, caused by heavy detonation. I tore down the engine, and replaced the piston, Timing belt, throttle cable, JR manifold(which they sent free of charge) and inspected everything else. It looked great other than that, so while it was apart, I added a nuformz block guard. I noticed the ports on the JR manifold were much smaller than the openings on the head, so I match ported it. the same was true of the throttle body opening. I assume Jackson racing used the same kit on the ITR as they did on the b16a. I was surprised at the poor fit on such an expensive system. after about 1,500 miles I had to replace the throttle cable again, since it frayed apart again in the same place. among other things, I added a GSR intake cam, and a short ram intake, at the recommendation of ENDYN, (they promised it would make more power.) I went to the track again, and with the exact same mods as before, plus the porting, cam and different intake, I was only able to lay down 12.61 @110. I was disappointed to say the least. I decided it was time for more boost. The only problem was, on June 2, 2001, some F***in idiot rear ended my ITR while I was sitting at a redlight, totaling the car. I was lucky I didnt have the bottle in the trunk at the time, because it would have been pushed through the back seats and possibly into the back of my head! anyway, I had to start over. I put everything into a little 96 civic HB, and did some more mods along the way. I had a hell of a time getting it to run right, due to wiring issues. I got it to run ok, but I had to ditch the nitrous, since it wouldnt fit in the trunk (15lb bottle). I still may put a bottle back there, since I have had good luck with it in the past. After many headaches, and many late nights dissecting wiring harnesses, I got it to run strong. I managed to lose yet another throttle cable, after about 2,000 miles. The tensioner pulley JR supplies with the kit failed after approx 12k miles. Also, another alternator. This time, the alternator's bearings seized up. I took another long trip in the civic, covering some 1,700 miles. somewhere in W VA, the alternator belt tensioner pulley locked up again. this was the second time! I only got about 2,000 miles out of the new bearings on the pulley. Luckily I limped to an advance auto parts store, and the guys there hooked me up.I decided to take the tensioner pulley out altogether, and used a tight fitting belt instead. This is the way Jackson should have done it, if there are no pullies tough enough to withstand 8400 rpm. I have had lots of other problems with my car, but they are unrelated to the JRSC, so I will not mention them.
4/2002, I took the car to Rockingham dragway, hoping to hit 12s without the bottle. I assumed my civic was much lighter than the Type R, so all other things being the same, the weight difference should be enough to acheive that. I was again disappointed. I was only able to run a 13.3 at 100. I weighed my car, and surprisingly it weighs 2640 with me in it. that is only 65lb lighter than the ITR. I tried fiddling with the V-AFC, to no avail. I quit racing when I noticed teeth missing from my timing belt AGAIN. I have only had this timing belt on the motor for 10k miles. At this point, I am not satisfied with the performance of the JRSC, and I am looking at other options. I never installed the 11psi kit, or the RC injectors. I hope my experience can help others in their decision to JRSC or not to JRSC.

Last edited by slowEJ6 : 05-01-2002 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:14 PM   #20
yelizardking

and that is why i'm gonig all motor (not really but it might convince someone you never know)
Old 05-02-2002, 06:20 PM   #21
OneDopeTeg

Quote:

DopeTeg, you can clean up that mess.

someone gimme a shop towel and a ten foot pole!!
Old 05-02-2002, 06:30 PM   #22
OneDopeTeg

ok if you decide not to go JRSC then maybe consider looking at the Vortech aftercooled kit for the B16A which i would assume would bolt up to an ITR with very little modification if any!
Old 05-03-2002, 02:33 AM   #23
yelizardking

what exactly is this vortec aftercooler you talk about ?
Old 05-03-2002, 07:24 PM   #24
slowEJ6

Vortech supercharger.....they make an aftercooler kit for it. sorta like an intercooler but not quite.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:34 AM   #25
yelizardking

but not quite? what do you mean not quite?