::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Wren57

TT Supra Engine???

Ok I might just get tons of veggies thrown at me for this one, but thought I might give it a shot... I got a mad idea from someone on this board (you know who you are) about swapping a TT Supra engine into my Highlander... hell yeah right?!? I mean it'd be expensive as hell to swap in the first place, then the tranny and auto-manual conversion would be a pain... that and the Highlander is AWD and I dont think I could keep the AWD with the new tranny- maybe I could, I dunno... Gimme some ideas on this- is it worth it? Itd be totally badass and I could prob get down to 11seconds or so in a few years by making some dough... I know I could get lotsa money from it from shows by being so wild, and by racing... just yesterday a guy in a Dodge Stealth wanted to race for slips... ... too much F&F if ya ask me... his $5k tops car against my $25k car for slips? Please... yeah I dont like that too much... anyways what yall think about the swap? It is doable I have been told, just do yall think its worth it? Peace
Old 05-28-2002, 06:07 PM   #2
blownteggy

anything is possible as long as you got the cash. it would me worth though since the gross vehicle weight for the 2wd and the 4wd is 4,985 lbs. that's one heavy mofo. also i don't know about dmv laws in TN, but i'm pretty sure you won't be able to swap an older engine into a newr car.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:12 PM   #3
Wren57

wha?

Quote:
Originally posted by blownteggy
it would me worth though since the gross vehicle weight for the 2wd and the 4wd is 4,985 lbs. that's one heavy mofo.

Im not concerned about the laws, loopholes all in those... so are you saying it would be worth it or what? I didnt understand your grammar... and yes it is heavy, but everything Ive seen says its about 3700ish lbs... where are you getting your info? Im thinking I could push 600hp to the wheels in the next 2 years with some nice cash earned over the next few summers... thatd hopefully get me into the 12s ... any help/comments/questions/flaming is welcome
Old 05-28-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
Maxvla

my honda accord is about 3300 lbs. i doubt your suv is 3700.

600HP out of a supra engine is not going to be very reliable. and i think its very highly probable you'd lose your front wheels for power, making it harder to lay down the power.

go for it... you've certainly got some balls if your really considering it. but i think you'll be dissapointed unless you throw alot of money at it. like twin turbo's and the works.

good luck.

supra TT
Old 05-29-2002, 11:23 AM   #5
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Here's an idea....why not just buy a supra...?????
lol...I mean...sell the highlander...get a supra....then you'll have less weight...the engine...and one SICK car.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:57 PM   #6
blownteggy

info came from the toyota website.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:27 AM   #7
shizzott

yea no $hit, supra all the way.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:04 PM   #8
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
my honda accord is about 3300 lbs. i doubt your suv is 3700.

600HP out of a supra engine is not going to be very reliable
ENTIRELY wrong.....ok lets do our homework before making comments like that - Supra TT engines can be brought upwards of 1000hp RELIABLY on STOCK INTERNALS. very very VERY reliable.

putting that in your Highlander....well the IS300 => TT swap costs roughly $10k for motor and labor.
Which means its going to cost you probably more....is that worth it to you? you could just sell your highlander and buy a Supra TT with the cost of that - and no sacrificing the rigidity of the chassis.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:09 PM   #9
Wren57

The entire reason of swapping it into the Highlander is to be different- the ultimate sleeper- a 12-11-maybe even 10 second SUV on the streets... think of what people would say to that... it'd be awe inspiring... thinking about the cost makes me want to vomit ... I think I am going to get the 92Hatch and swap in a fully built b18c1 and about 25lbs boost... wont be original or creative, but sure as hell will be less expensive than Supra swap, and will be fast and turn well too... plus that way I can keep the highlander as a daily high-mileage driver and the civic as a weekend cruiser...
Old 05-30-2002, 11:15 PM   #10
slowEJ6

25lbs huh? thats very built hehe.
why not try a 240SX w/ SR20DET swap? not all that original but dont see it as much as civic hybrids. or a mirage w/ EVO swap perhaps.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:31 PM   #11
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
The entire reason of swapping it into the Highlander is to be different- the ultimate sleeper- a 12-11-maybe even 10 second SUV on the streets... think of what people would say to that... it'd be awe inspiring... thinking about the cost makes me want to vomit ... I think I am going to get the 92Hatch and swap in a fully built b18c1 and about 25lbs boost... wont be original or creative, but sure as hell will be less expensive than Supra swap, and will be fast and turn well too... plus that way I can keep the highlander as a daily high-mileage driver and the civic as a weekend cruiser...
I want the money you have!!!!
Just go supra.....daym...they nice as heck

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:06 AM   #12
Wren57

I love the supras and they are in my dreams (my wet dreams) but I just cant afford one. I can afford buying the hatch for like 4k then doign all the suspension/engine work... another 10k later I can turbo it and get some nice fuel controllers for like 5k more... then a 1k tuning session... so thats like 20k total for a nicely built, although not perfect, b18c1 civic hatch... that versus a stock non-turbo supra for around 25 with a used engine... just different playing fields all together IMO
Old 06-01-2002, 12:08 AM   #13
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

you have a new highlander....and you can't afford a supra...sell the highlander.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:11 AM   #14
Wren57

Highlander staying put- its my first car, I love it... slow as balls (16.4 1/4 time) but still fun... that and I do drive a LOT so I dont wanna rack up tons of miles on a car as nice as a supra
Old 06-01-2002, 12:13 AM   #15
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
Highlander staying put- its my first car, I love it... slow as balls (16.4 1/4 time) but still fun... that and I do drive a LOT so I dont wanna rack up tons of miles on a car as nice as a supra
That's your FIRST car....mine had more rust on it you could see through and into it....literally

Old 06-01-2002, 12:15 AM   #16
Wren57

Yeah- bought it May 2001... now it has 18k miles on it
Old 06-04-2002, 03:28 AM   #17
Kyle
elyK

Maybe you should try to look into it a little more...go around shops...etc...
and the person that gave you the idea is one bad motha

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 08:02 PM   #18
monkut

yo Maxvla....why is your 90 accord so damn heavy? 3,300lbs? my 94 accord only weighs 2,780lbs. and im 95% sure the 5th gens exterior dimmensions are bigger than the 4th gens'. i could look it up but i really don't wanna.