::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2002, 12:24 PM   #1
nauticapinoy

Crvtec and h22?

i was just wondering honestly about this last night. cause i was going for the b2o then later adding the vtec head. then BDC had me thinking bout the h22 again. now check the scenario. two 97 civic hatchs. one with a stock h22 swap. one with a crvtec swap stock except running same C/R as the h22. on the street from light to light which will come out victor? then next. highway battle. same cars. stock h22 in one. stock crvtec same as above. the crvtec running the LS tranny who would pull out with the braggin rights? who has more top end power and speed? i know the prelude is a great highway battler? so what's the deal guys?

stock h22 makes like 165-175 at the wheel?and crvtec's make around the same right? or more? it's true though, there is no replacement for displacement...
Old 04-09-2002, 12:54 PM   #2
Integra221

I think that the CR/VTEC would be better in a Civic considering its lighter and you would'nt have as much steering problems as you would with a prelude motor. The CR/VTEC would definatly win and it would have something like 185-190 if done right and much more torque than the prelude motor. You can get some serious hp and amazing torque out of the CR/VTEC setup if done right. Also a GSR or even B16 w/lsd tranny would be better since you are going all motor you would want shorter gear ratios.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:47 PM   #3
nauticapinoy

well actually i'll be boosting later on so i was thinking i might as well get the LS tranny now. but comparing the gearing of the LS and the lude tranny who would pull out in a highway battle?
Old 04-09-2002, 02:56 PM   #4
nauticapinoy

I want to embarass cocky guys running around with porsche boxster's and S's, and want to give a 911 turbo's and corvettes a good run. I'll be boosting with anyone of the two setups up there i finally make my mind up on.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
slowEJ6

CRVTEC!! i dont know anyone in the area with that swap, do it!
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 06:21 PM   #6
nauticapinoy

i heard of this one cat who had lsvtec in his crx he ran a 12.3. the h22 bug is starting to wear off bro. but it's just hard to let go the fact of 13's stock...but not many people around here i know that can build a good one. all version charges 1200 for the labor, to mate a b20 block to the vtec head. I dunno? kinda pricey. we'll see..
Old 04-09-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
slowEJ6

what about racing works?
Old 04-09-2002, 07:09 PM   #8
nauticapinoy

i dunno i heard bad stuff bout them before. not getting the job done right. not crvtec or lsvtec's just regular swaps. i dunno. i would ask velocity to do it cause that's actually my main shop but they charge a pretty penny and i don't think they do many crvtec's. but when it comes to swaps. they to do a bod oss job. like it came form the factory. you get what you pay for. so we'll see. they were actually telling me to go for the h22.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:27 PM   #9
Integra221

Its pretty unlikely for you to take a 911 turbo top end. The ls tranny is probely better for top end though.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:27 PM   #10
slowEJ6

yah i was gritting my teeth when i mentioned racing works. how about Titan Motorsports......they do super good work. not sure if theyve ever done a crvtec swap but, worth a try.
a do0d that works there has a mid 12sec H22A EK. its for sale, but tight nonetheless.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:56 AM   #11
nauticapinoy

yeah i know 911 turbo's would eat me at highway battles, but from light to light i might be able to take one with a good setup. I think i've almost made up my mind again. jdm b20b same C/R as usdm b20z. then later go crvtec. but could the gearing of an LS tranny match an prelude in the highway?

and hybrid I'll check titan motorsports out. thanx guys.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:18 AM   #12
Integra221

Just out of curiosity why do you care about top end so much. Its not fun to race on the highway thats how people die!! If you put the crv engine in your civic it will still be pretty beast even without the vtec head. Cause if you think about it your going to have 135 hp with around 140 pounds of torque in a little hatchback. Most likely you will run low 15's with just that engine and some bolt ons. Posibly high 14's but that might be pusing it im not really sure.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:49 PM   #13
nauticapinoy

well your right that high end driving is dangerous, i just ws thinking about that cause my boy has a lude and he takes alot of imports top end. but since I would have a hybrid then I would be so far ahead that it wouldn't matter if he had better top end. LoL. but I was just thinking i don't know many knowlegable shops around Orlando that can do a crvtec swap. if i did get one I would want it to last at least 30-35,000 miles. but on the other hand honda made the h22. i am goning to spend quite a bit a money on my car I want the motor to last for a while. the only place I know of that makes bod oss crvtec's are importbuilders.com or skunk2. but they cost mad loot. but i guess you get what you pay for.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:43 PM   #14
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by Integra221
Cause if you think about it your going to have 135 hp with around 140 pounds of torque in a little hatchback.
6g hatches are in no means little. they dont weigh much less than the coupes or sedans.
as for you nautica, id think youd want your engine to last more than 30k miles.....why put a lot of money into it if it wont even last ya know? if the buildup is done right though maybe itd last longer than that - but i couldnt tell ya who to go to for that cuz i myself dont know anyone with a crvtec turbo setup. maybe just going jdm b20b/turbo and a serious buildup would suffice? but hell, the H22A is cheap - has power, has torque. doesnt take much to make it handle great, hell go 5lug conversion, use all R suspension parts and beefier axles, THICK rear swaybar and a nice front swaybar...should be good to go. JayDM has an H22A in his EG, might wanna hit him up for info on how his suspension is setup. also the guy on the jdmhondaparts website, with the H22A EK from Titan Motorsports - he could probably help you out a bit - i know he doesnt drive that car everyday though.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:33 AM   #15
Integra221

Turbo charging a crvtec would be kinda point less. You want high compression in the crvtec setups and you can't run a turbo with high compression pistons. Turbo also does not allow you to rev very high so whats the point in vtec. Hybrid has a good idea there just turbo charge the b20 non-vtec.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:15 PM   #16
nauticapinoy

well if i got the crvtec i would have left the C/R around 9.5:1. but i think i made up my mind I think i want to get an h22. 5-6 g's installed into my car. with all the suspension parts and everthing i think at the shop i go to. velocity resources. i've seen their work and the do a bod oss job. so that's my plan.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:28 AM   #17
Integra221

Sounds good i am actually reconsidering my LS/VTEC swap. I may sell my GSR head when it comes and save up for a h22a.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:27 AM   #18
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

b20= 135hp 140lb/ft
h22a(jdm)=200hp 161lb/ft
i think you could spend the saved money from not buying the b20 and put it inot suspension and have a much faster car. turbo h22's are deadly, even if they are in preludes. if you get a h22, then later turbo charge it, you will be beating most cars on the street.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:57 AM   #19
slowEJ6

turbocharging H22A's will get costly though - quick.
hes not saving any money by buying the H22A - its going to cost as much to buy it and install it.
most B-series swaps cost about $600 to install. H series is about $1000. not incl other little parts needed.

good luck though do0d.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #20
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

you can get h22's for 1800ish... i thought b18's were more than 2200.

Old 05-09-2002, 02:15 PM   #21
ShEaNy

no i think h22's are one of the pricest engines...In winnipeg here i can't get a price under 5000(canadian) just for the engine and all parts, excluding the price to do the whole swap somewhere...I'm guessing its going to cost me close to 6500$$(canadian) to do a h22 swap for my accord.... and change the auto to a standard... i haven't done too much research after i heard the base prices...lol .... LOOKS first!!! speed last ! hehe
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:54 PM   #22
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

h22's are the cheapest dohc vtec engines i belive

Old 05-09-2002, 03:31 PM   #23
slowEJ6

H22A costs about $2200 for a 98+, add in labor to install, $1000. the axles may not last long, so custom units are a necessity (from what ive read from others that have done the swap). so yer looking at at least $4k to swap to probably $6k incl fluids, mounts. beefier suspension is pretty necessary to compensate for the extra weight. front/rear sway bars. this swap is INITIALLY cheap, but not if you want it done right with the proper suspension setup.
my friend actually just swapped an H22A into his brothers 95 coupe. so if you can do it yourself, then youd save $1000+ on install.
the B20Z can be found for about $1700 incl a Si/GSR transmission, LS or DX ecu, Skunk2 intake manifold, and a DC header (or whatever kind you choose). then about $500 for install.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:19 PM   #24
nauticapinoy

Quote:
the B20Z can be found for about $1700 incl a Si/GSR transmission, LS or DX ecu, Skunk2 intake manifold, and a DC header (or whatever kind you choose). then about $500 for install.

All that for $1700? where can you get a deal like that? I know I can get a jdm b20b for $800 plus shipping, then the tranny and Ecu is extra can vary? If that combo deal your talking about is true then tell me where to find it. that would be my dream come true...
Old 05-09-2002, 08:41 PM   #25
slowEJ6

maybe w/o the header itd come to that much and perhaps an LS manifold. www.sohfast.com has transmissions. but they are expensive. try www.jdmclub.com and www.hondamotorsonline.com/shop/ they have damn good prices.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:32 PM   #26
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ahhh buying a usdm h22=expensive. get a h22a its cheaper and better i'll look but i belive they go for 1800 shipped or so

Old 05-09-2002, 09:38 PM   #27
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

http://www.jdmclub.com/pricing.html# i was wrong, its 2300 shipped for a 5spd h22a unless you can get a tranny

Old 05-09-2002, 10:29 PM   #28
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
ahhh buying a usdm h22=expensive. get a h22a its cheaper and better
Old 05-10-2002, 06:21 PM   #29
nauticapinoy

so hybrid hondamotorsonline or jdmclub can give me a LS ecu tranny and b20z block for around 1700? that's fockin bod oss bro...
Old 05-10-2002, 10:30 PM   #30
slowEJ6

hondamotorsonline.com will give you the JDM B20 longblock for i think $799 + s/h. so you need to get a couple things or ask if they can get you the rest and for how much.
also try www.importautosalvage.com - this place kicks serious ass with getting you what you need. costs a bit more than HMO.com but....great service still.
www.hondamotorsonline.com
www.jdmclub.com
www.importautosalvage.com call em up do0d, see who can get you what you need the cheapest - all 3 are top notch places.
good luck!
Old 05-10-2002, 11:28 PM   #31
nauticapinoy

thanx for the info bro. I think I'm truly set now on the b20. it's the most cost efficient for me I think. before I slap a turbo into the equation with this b20. I'm looking at CAI, headers, IM, custom exhaust,MSD ignition, cause the turbo will probably run me around 3-4 right?foo a T3/T4 setup. well since I have 2 liters of displacement on hand. these mods will gain a little more power from these parts I think, maybe. you think with some mild cams the stock head can take it?
Old 05-11-2002, 02:14 AM   #32
slowEJ6

i think you need to make your sig pic smaller.....hehe.

but yeah, im goin the same route as you. and no im not stealing your idea but it seems to be everything i want.
B20Z w/ GSR tranny and DX ECU, Skunk2 intake manifold, DC 4-1 manifold, AEM CAI, some sort of exhaust and a 60shot for a bit.
then tear the engine down, build it for 20psi and go drag gen3. but just gonna have fun with the nitrous for a while.
the B20 is strong....it can handle as much boost on stock internals as the B18B.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:18 PM   #33
nauticapinoy

I was taking to jason at velocity he was telling me to get some juice for the b20 maybe run a 100 shot DP... Just a thought. how do I make my pic smaller though anywayz?
Old 05-11-2002, 08:17 PM   #34
slowEJ6

hehe with a pic editing program of some kind, like photoshop, paint shop pro, irfranview (small program, works wonders).
100shot huh? nice. ill just be happy with a 60-75 shot for a while.