::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
blind34_1

?? on 02 Sensors....

Okay, I need to replace the oxygen sensor(s) in my car, every source I've checked cannot give me a for sure answer; WHAT KIND?!

my car = 1990 Civic Si 1.6 D16A6
Chiltons doesnt say anything intelligent other than "some 1990 models are equipped with heated o2 sensors..." GEE THATS NICE!

I go online and check nopi, and they sell "universal o2 sensors" for about $40. How can you have universal sensors? I dont want to have to fabricate anything to make it fit, and the goal here is to make my check engine light stop.

I go to majestichonda.com and they sell ones supposedly for my car and charge $150. okay...no.

my mechanic says the part for my car should run about 40 bucks. hmm...but I dont want to pay for a mechanic what I can do myself.

Does this "heated o2 sensor" that I need have more than one wire coming from it? The one that is in there now has one wire going to a connector to another wire to a harness, which I imagine goes to ECU.

and do I have more than one sensor that could be faulty? I know of only one, but considering the apparent lack of info out there I could be sorely mistaken.

Thanks guys.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
drdingo21

have you tried like autozone to find out what you need?
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 PM   #3
blind34_1

autozone employees don't know their head from their ass, but I'm gonna call em I guess.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
blind34_1

well I called em and they said that the part is a Bosch heated 02 sensor for $37. I don't know...If anyone can give me some reliable info it'd be much appreciated, expecially if their is more than one 02 sensor (my car is obd1, so their should be only one right?)
Old 01-29-2003, 07:42 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I tried a couple bosch sensors for mine.. None of them worked. Im holding out for the Denso from honda when I get $200+. I just hope to God it fixes it or Ill be pissed.

As for the heated O2 sensor. It should have 4 wires. Plain sensor will probably only have 2. 2 for heater side, and 2 for sensor side.

Good luck with the bosch if you decide to get it.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
shadowracer
1st Gear

OK here it is a heated O2 sensor will have 4 wires coming out of it two for the heater element and two to actual sniff your exhaust. A non heated O2 sensor will only have one wire coming out of it usually white in color. I've used bosch O2 sensors in the past in emergency situations and they have worked just fine. I purchased the universal kind that come with the connector and instructions really straight forward if you ask me.

Your 1990 Civic Si should only have one O2 sensor, your correct at that. Your car should have a non heated O2 sensor with a single wire coming out of it.

If you are going to change your O2 sensor yourself make sure you have a quality O2 sensor socket handy, along with some anti sieze, and a pair of mechanics gloves. Here is a lil advice being a 1990 your O2 sensor will probably give you hell trying to get it out unless you have a torch handy. As for me I don't have a torch handy so my trick is to let the car warm up to operating temp so that the exhaust is hot, hence the need for the Mechanics gloves. The heat from the exhaust will make the O2 sensor come out easier. I've done plenty this way and it works wonders. Hope this helps good luck
Old 01-29-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
Mirkwo0dForest

i had to replace mah O2 sensor last year and it turned out that the manifold was cracked and the O2 sensor was fine... i got a new censor anyway and welded up the crack. mine was $80 but i prolly hav a different type since i got 97.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
blind34_1

shadowracer you have described everything I've done today. I wish I had this magical o2 sensor socket, cause I tried every other tool in my garage. Beleive me I wanted to take a torch to it, but I prolly couldnt even fit that down in that tiny space! My dad gave me the idea of warming up the exhuast first, but of course I dont have mechs gloves and would burn the CRAP out of my hand.

Yeah, the sensor is the one wire type, so that made the universal one about 20 bucks. The sensor he sold me seems MUCH larger in diameter that the one in there now, so Im not sure if this'll work.

So when I walk into sears tomorrow to buy this socket, its called the 02 sensor socket?
Old 01-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #9
shadowracer
1st Gear

Yup that what its called it looks kind of like a deep well socket with a slot cut into its side. What part of IL are you from?
Old 01-31-2003, 02:11 AM   #10
ShagginJet

You can get the socket off of ebay for like 12 bucks or something. It's just a regular socket with a slice down the side for the wire. You're probably going to need some sort of uni-joint extenstion(think that's what they are called) that way you can get it in position right. I just buy the stuff from pep boys then return it later and claim i didn't use it.

I have an 89 Civic HB, did my o2 sensor about 2 months ago. Went to a JY, found an o2 sensor on an older 88-91 civic/crx, one wire style just like yours. Pulled it, paid 5 bucks for it, and put it in. Works fine too, SCORE!! As for what autozooen sells, they sell a universal one that may require you to cut the wire and splice it, and they sell one that has the plug on it for about 20$ buck more. The one with the plug is better quality. You can find these on ebay too.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:25 AM   #11
blind34_1

(I'm from Peoria, IL. btw) I went to Sears and asks for an oxygen sensor socket and only got blank stares. So I can just go to autozone or wherever and ask for this socket? And, ShagginJet, what is the socket size? I think its bigger than 3/4" but I can't get any sockets around it to guess, and its at a wierd angle. I bought the one that requires the wire splice. Not too hard, but the new sensor seems too big. maybe the old one actually is that big. I paid like 17 dollars.