::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2002, 09:06 PM   #1
Wren57

Exclamation Close race with a z24

As I was pulling out of my local grocery shop getting some medicine to keep middle finger from swelling up... dont ask, long story... anyways it is about 6:30 at night so im just poking along at about 45 when a newer Chevy Cavalier flies past doing about 90... I of course, being my testosterone driven self decide he cant get away with this disgrace... so I chase him down and eventually get him next to a light... he was revving up engine for like 15 seconds before light turned green- I was double footing my fast (relatively) automatic ready for launch... light turns green and I get a nice jump on him b/c he spun his tires quite a bit- I am clear of his front bumper all the way through second gear, but when he and I shift into 3rd at the same time he starts gaining and eventually passes rather quickly... I meet up with him later and find out that he is quite heavily modified... over 5k under hood alone- not to mention the 75 shot of NOS (which was in the trunk)... anyways, anyone ever raced a z24? how did yall do against them? I know im not the fastest and never will be b/c im so heavy (car is heavy, that is) but run about a 15 second 1/4 mile... anyways just need some input- thanks
Old 03-03-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
juvenile

never raced one
but 15 seconds for an SUV is good
my car does 16!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:28 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

never raced one. my car needs to learn how to be faster than the shping cart self proppeled by the wind.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:50 PM   #4
diligent_dave

There's more than a few 14 second Cavaliers down here. And these guys definatley don't have 5k in their engine. A lot of them have nitrous, but tons of people down here have nitrous. It's a power adder just like anything else. It just doesn't last as long.

Personally I like nitrous, but I despise "Nawwwwwwwsssssssss".

Old 03-14-2002, 12:21 AM   #5
excessivesounds

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
never raced one
but 15 seconds for an SUV is good
my car does 16!

who has a SUV?
Old 03-14-2002, 03:33 AM   #6
Maxvla

not i says me.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:56 PM   #7
JaY D. Em

I've raced a few and killed dem by 18 wheelers.... Z28's are fun to beat too....
Old 03-15-2002, 12:05 AM   #8
Wren57

im the one with the 15second SUV...
Old 03-15-2002, 12:55 AM   #9
juvenile

HA!
Old 03-15-2002, 03:31 PM   #10
Incubus

So Highlander, is your SUV modded? I saw the "kick ass" Mercedes AMG SUV pull 15.5..........a 15 second Highlander is pretty impressive.

I've raced a fixed up Z24 once, and I smoked him.......he had a sticker on the side of his car that said something like Badass Bowtie or something........he kinda took me by surprise trying to race at a left turn light (people always hit me up at turn lights) but I guess he didn't realize that not only does my car have more hp and is quicker, but I take turns like a slot car! So, there was not contest. I beat him decently and later on at the next light he wanted to race again, so I threw some revs just to get him excited, then when light turned green I just rolled off the line all slow and not racing.....i lauged as he took off, then slowed down and gave me a dirty look at the next light.

As far as Z24's go, they have 140hp stock, so I can't make fun of them since that's where my Teg started at, and they got way more torque than my "little" 1.8
Old 03-21-2002, 08:42 PM   #11
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Nice job man. To even be able to keep up like you did is good since your SUV weighs 3400+ (depending on the model) and his weighs about 2600 or so. It takes alot to move those things.

A Z24 has 150Hp & 155 ft/lb torque. I've not had the pleasure of racing one of these, but my friend has one. I didn't really think it was all that fast. Especially considering it only put out 150HP and has a 2.4L engine.

Congrats on the 15 sec 1/4 mile. Do you have the 6 cylinder version or the 4 cylinder?
Old 03-21-2002, 09:35 PM   #12
Wren57

Ive got the v6 with 4wd thats always engaged... helps a ton when racing on wet streets (even tho thats not smart in the first place)... yeah- Ive got it modded- not very heavily tho- I think I might get a 75shot of Venom2000 pretty soon, but want to think about Nitrous a bit more seriously before I do... check the list below to see my current mods- coming up very soon are 225/55/16 Toyo Proxes, Airbag suspension, and either Nitrous or Turbo (money determines which one of these I get)...
Old 03-21-2002, 09:38 PM   #13
Wren57

Oh- by the way... the "Custom K&N Cold Ram Air Intake" is a custom fabrication... I put a 3" barrel filter behind the fog light covers (i dont have fog lights) and I cut slits in the fog light covers... looks perfectly factory because the fog light "blinds" (dont know word for it) are slanted so it looks stock but air flows freely through the slits in it right into the filter... thats my "raim air" system... pretty tight
Old 03-22-2002, 12:40 AM   #14
Incubus

Nice setup! *golf clap*
Old 03-22-2002, 06:49 AM   #15
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Nitrous

You'll be glad you did. It's ALOT of fun.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:39 AM   #16
Dumbestic

Quote:
Originally posted by JaY D. Em
Z28's are fun to beat too....

Kinda like how it's fun to ride Unicorns...

Regarding cavaliers...my buddy dyno'd at 220rwhp and 206rwtq.

Not bad for a little ol' 2.4 (and no Nitrous....but a *few* modifications.)
Old 04-07-2002, 02:59 PM   #17
Matrix

Quote:
Originally posted by Dumbestic
Regarding cavaliers...my buddy dyno'd at 220rwhp and 206rwtq.

Not bad for a little ol' 2.4 (and no Nitrous....but a *few* modifications.)

Hmmmm...I think you may have meant 220fwhp and 206fwtq. Unless he did some kind of rear wheel drive conversion.

Did he get it supercharged or turbocharged? I'm intrigued.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:20 PM   #18
Dumbestic

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrix

Hmmmm...I think you may have meant 220fwhp and 206fwtq. Unless he did some kind of rear wheel drive conversion.

Did he get it supercharged or turbocharged? I'm intrigued.

yes...fwhp.....Im a dumbass. Just so used to talking about RWD cars. it's turbo charged. He built the current engine himself, but at the time he built it to pretty much be a nitrous engine. He got another engine thats about half way done....and its made to handle lots of boost. Hes not sure of what exact numbers he'll have with it, but its going to be quite a bit higher. Im going to feel really funny in my z28 when I get my ass blown away by a cavalier. But as much work done and knowledge hes got, I guess its okay.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:08 PM   #19
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Dumbestic

yes...fwhp.....Im a dumbass. Just so used to talking about RWD cars. it's turbo charged. He built the current engine himself, but at the time he built it to pretty much be a nitrous engine. He got another engine thats about half way done....and its made to handle lots of boost. Hes not sure of what exact numbers he'll have with it, but its going to be quite a bit higher. Im going to feel really funny in my z28 when I get my ass blown away by a cavalier. But as much work done and knowledge hes got, I guess its okay.

How much is he boosting on that engine?
Old 04-08-2002, 02:59 PM   #20
Dumbestic

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

How much is he boosting on that engine?

He doesnt have the boost controller thingy (as you can tell, I don't know a whole lot about forced induction) yet, I think I heard him say he's over boosting to 9. I think thats a little higher than what he'd like on that particular motor. But im not real sure.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:18 PM   #21
Niacin

Nitrous on a SUV? Man, y'all are some ballsy f----.

Max