::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
Daishi

Should I even look for a VTEC?

From what I understand, there are a few diff types of VTEC, but as far as racing goes, it basicly puts out a higher output at higher rpms.

But as for inner-city driving goes, I keep the rpms low. Xcept the VTEC-E that I think closes a valve to save fuel. ANYWHO... If I were to find a good deal on a 4DR thats NOT VTEC, but even a 1.5L. Think thats fine for city driving.

Keeping in mind I want a 1992-1995 4DR OR Coupe. Not looking to take it to the strip, I want a quick car, sumthin sporty and fun.

Thanks again everyone

Joe
Old 05-09-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
AkimboStylee

vtec, not VTEC, anyway, its a honda and it will have good gas mileage, and make sure it is a manual tranny, cause they get higher mpg(stock) than auto(stock)
Old 05-10-2004, 03:31 AM   #3
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by krwheeler85
vtec, not VTEC

huh?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:58 AM   #4
AkimboStylee

he spelled it VTEC, its vtec, non capitalized
Old 05-10-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
sohc_vtec 2NR

if you plan on getting another car for a daily driver around town, it would probably be best to get a non-vtec DX, if its stickshift it'll be fun as it is and since its a 1.5 you can easily get 36 mpg, and if you get a sedan people can comfortably get in and out with ease.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

yes, it is actually VTEC...capitalized and all (like it matters if its capped or not...)

The 2 cars that had vtec in the 5th gens were the ex and the si
The vx had vtec-e (economy)

the 4dr lx and dx were 1.5l and the 4dr ex was 1.6L (and had vtec)...so if you want non-vtec and a sedan just find an lx or dx (that will be easy)

"Sporty" - youre not going to get spirited driving out of the l/d/x/vx civics. Their gearing is long and slow for better mpg. Sporty-ness from the civics come from the ones that have vtec...even though I really think that vtec is over-rated in sohc's
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #7
Fatal070

Go for a 1995 civic Coupe EX, you'll have some vtec and it will be a fun car... DON'T get a 4-door there ugly ...SORRY
Old 05-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
IALuder

i personally have had non-VTEC and VTEC civics both 93. same car motor swap. anyways, the VTEC was funner to drive.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
JDMFantasy2k

Yeah i know some people arent' vtec crazy but i think it's a neat feature, not to mention that it sounds sick.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
yes, it is actually VTEC...capitalized and all (like it matters if its capped or not...)

exactly.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #11
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:

who gives a f$ck!

Quote:
Originally posted by Daishi
From what I understand, there are a few diff types of VTEC, but as far as racing goes, it basicly puts out a higher output at higher rpms.

But as for inner-city driving goes, I keep the rpms low. Xcept the VTEC-E that I think closes a valve to save fuel. ANYWHO... If I were to find a good deal on a 4DR thats NOT VTEC, but even a 1.5L. Think thats fine for city driving.

Keeping in mind I want a 1992-1995 4DR OR Coupe. Not looking to take it to the strip, I want a quick car, sumthin sporty and fun.

Thanks again everyone

Joe

It sounds like u want good gas mileage and have good passing power. I would definately would reccomend a VTEC engine for someone who wants a bit of reliable power. Personally I think there is a substantial difference between a 1.5 non-vtec, and a D16Z. As far as gas mileage goes the only thing the D16Z gets hurt on is the gearing compared to the D15 trannies. In town I dont think there will be much difference (if at all). Unless u plan onto getting into VTEC constantly then your gas mileage will go down. I got 25-28 in town with my D16Z hatch (in VTEC constantly), 38-41 MPG babying it on the interstate with a D15B (long geared tranny).
Old 06-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #12
NOTA-EX

i have 95 ex coupe with d16z6 'VTEC'. i get about 30/35 mpg and it gets up and goes. im looking to buy anotehr d16z6 and then im going to replace pistons/rods, cams, valves, springs, intake manny and all the other good stuff before i put it in my car. 95 coupe is a good car for a non-strip daily driver. i have fun with mine (only been to 105 so far).
Old 06-06-2004, 11:55 PM   #13
Shot 2 Hel

your not going to be using VTEC when your in the city much anyway, plus if you are passing someone you will do it quicker and be more efficient while doing it, so i would spend the extra bit and get VTEC
Old 06-06-2004, 11:58 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

Hahahaha good call...
WRONG

Anyway, if you want a sporty feel, the VTEC models will suit your needs a little better. The power difference won't be amazing, but hey, take what you can get!

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #15
CD5Passion

my friend owns an accord that lacks a VTEC and it's weird to me after driving mine for so long. to not feel that extra little push after 4krpm. I would suggest that you get it aswell as a manual transmission cause like someone said earlier if you need to pass someone, it's not much of a difference but that VTEC can really give that extra umph. or you can just downshift
I'm basically saying, you get a much sportier feel with a manual VTEC
Old 06-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #16
JDMFantasy2k

yeah i must agree once more, here's an example. A friend of mine has a 93 civic cx hatch which he swapped an old motor into. All i know is that it is a d15 sohc and i believe it's normal, although it may have vtec-e (is it supposed to say it on the valve cover?). Anyway we were cruising down a back road ( about 1 mile stretch) and we're in a passing zone and he goes to pass, he starts pulling ahead until i drop third, and once i hit about 5k i was gone, and the rest of the tach, well he was getting a nice view of my liscense plate.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:34 PM   #17
pdiggitydogg

jdm d15b are 3stage vtec
Old 06-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #18
JDMFantasy2k

oh i know it was a usdm motor, i'm just not sure out of what, so yeah i guess it was just normal. I thought that there were some 3 stage vtec motors in the states though?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:45 PM   #19
pdiggitydogg

usdm d15's do not have vtec
I dont think there was anything other than the standard and 'e' vtec's in the states
Old 06-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #20
JDMFantasy2k

It's a shame that honda never made a 3 stage vtec in dohc configuration, that would be so sick, you get like 35+ mpg and 170 ponies,