.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
hooohaa2

96 civic dome light

my dome light does not work, it is not the bulb, i have tested it. I have heard that this is a common problem in 96 civics, is this true? does anyone know the fix? I believe it is a wiring/contact problem, because last week it started working, only to stop once again.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

might be a loose wire.
have you messed with anything electrical lately?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #3
hooohaa2

it hasn't worked since I bought the car two years ago.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

i stay with my suggestion of loose wiring
have you looked at the connectors? maybe theyre screwed
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
pauls-si

Have you checked the pin switch?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:50 PM   #6
hooohaa2

not to sound stupid but what are you referring to?

I took the cover off a long time ago to replace the bulb, and I fooled with the wiring that I could see then, but that didn't do anything.

if you are talking about the switch on the side of the light, no, I haven't checked it yet, but that is a good idea.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
blind34_1

1) check to see if the switch next to the dome light is set to ON. I've actually thouyght my light was toast but it just wasn't on. stupid of me.

2) the pin switch he is referring to you means the door switch. A lot of times the switch will wear out, or cut a groove in the metal causing an intermittant connections or nothing at all. fix this with a new switch from almost any honda from the junkyard (though 96s may have different switchs, not sure) or use a tighter spring cut from a ball point pen.

3) if the above doesn't work, then things get messy. get out a continuity checker and start isolating where you have a no connection. fun fun.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
hooohaa2

ok, just spent two hours in my car trying to figure this mess out. When I took the cover off, one side of the bulb tested hot, and I guess the switch controls the ground, which would be the only reason why the light would not come on. I ended up taking the housing out to try to figure it out, and little plastic pieces, a spring and a ball bearing flew everywhere. I was pissed.

The pin switch works, I tested it by locking my open doors with my keyless with the switch pressed.

anyways, by the time i got finished doing that, I tested the hot side again, and it wasn't hot. I am so frustrated. I looked in my chilton's manual for some help, and it doesn't include the wiring diagram for interior lights. I checked all my fuses (since interior light is not listed) and all were good. Where does the hot line feed from? obviously I have a problem at that junction. why my light wouldn't work before I do not know, maybe the switch was a little corroded.

anyone with a better manual?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:45 PM   #9
hooohaa2

by the way, fear and loathing is hip-nasty, blind. lol

thanks for the help everyone
Old 10-16-2003, 11:37 PM   #10
hooohaa2

I went to check out a 99 Civic with my friend the other day, and the owner said that he had been having electrical problems with it. He listed off the dome light, the intermittent wiper, the key beep and the keyless entry. All of these things are jacked on my car too. He said that he took it to the dealer, and they automatically knew what was wrong with it and what it would take to fix it. He said they had to "replace the chip." I don't know what "chip" would need to be replaced, but they charged him $150 to fix it.

Any ideas on what this "chip" could be that I need to replace?
Old 10-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #11
blind34_1

ill bet this "chip" is to be had at a junkyard for about 5 bucks...ill look around for it online here hold on....
Old 10-20-2003, 04:16 PM   #12
blind34_1

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IT+%28CABIN%29

thats a guess, but ask this dude who went to honda to havwe it fixed what the part was called, where its located, or at least a part number on his receipt.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:51 PM   #13
hooohaa2

hey thanks alot, the guy didn't remember what the part was, but I am gonna get on him about it, I went to the dealership and they want $64.88 to diagnose my electrical problems, then another 64.88 to cut off my SRS light. forget that!