.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2003, 09:06 PM   #1
Slody 4 Futbol

Car died... and now it won't start... help!!!

Ok... my car...
1994 Acura Integra LS
No Engine Mods... just a muffler...
5-Speed...

Problem...
I was low on gas **light wasn't on but I was close 2 empty. I get in my car 2 head 2 the gas station... it cranks fine... i pull out of the driveway... put it in first and go... i shift into 2nd... and hit the gas... and it dies... I was like uhh... I've never had that happen before... on a hill a few times but not when driving. So I tried 2 crank it. It would turn over but nothing else. I pushed it back home. Tried 2 crank it again... just that sound right before it cranks... er er er er er er er... so i figured hey maybe it was just outta gas... so we put more gas in it... like 2-3 gallons... still nothing. But then I realized... if it was outta gas... it wouldnt' have just shut off on me like that would it? My brother checked the spark plugs 2 see if the engine was getting any spark and he said it wasn't. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?? I GOTTA have my car cuz I drive 30 minutes 2 college everyday and have soccer practice everyday plus work 5 days a week. My g/f lemme drive her car til I get it fixed but this sucks!! Please Help!!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

no spark on any of the plugs? If so, look at the distro.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:12 PM   #3
Slody 4 Futbol

yeah it was 8:30 and we were bout to take that off but we couldnt' see 2 good... he said he'd come buy and try 2 take it off and look at it tomorrow... but do you have any thought as 2 why it just cut off on me like that?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:35 AM   #4
autocrossthugg
2nd Gear

I'd pull the dist. cap and check to see if the rotor is screwed on tight. pull cap, twist rotor, if loose->reposition and tighten. you should fire right up. Good Luck.
Suspension Techniques Anti-Sway Bars (f&r)
SPC Camber Kits (f&r)
Front Upper Strut Bar
Rear Lower Bar
Borbet Type B rims w/Falken Azenis for autocross
Kosei K-1 rims w/Yokohama AVS-ES100 for street
3-point Sparco Harness
autocrossthugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

sounds to me like a bad main relay. i had mine die on me at 70mph on the higway.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
pauls-si

You might want to check the coil.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:10 PM   #7
pauls-si

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
sounds to me like a bad main relay. i had mine die on me at 70mph on the higway.

Yeah, my main relay had an intermittent problem. It would only act up when it was hot outside. That's when i heard about the main relay problem in older hondas. So i took the relay out, found the cold solder joint, and fixed it......I haven't had a problem since.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:08 AM   #8
Slody 4 Futbol

they checked the distributor today and called this mechanic we know and told him about it... he said something about an amplifier or something on there somewhere... and my brother said the cap and rotor had corrosion and stuff in it... they are gonna try and fix it tomorrow

**and speaking of it being hot... i'm in mississippi... yesterday it was so hot my front acura emblem melted off my car... i shut my door and heard something fall off my car and walked around front and it was on the ground.. the glue was very very warm lol**
Old 08-22-2003, 08:41 PM   #9
pimpinprelude

"**and speaking of it being hot... i'm in mississippi... yesterday it was so hot my front acura emblem melted off my car... i shut my door and heard something fall off my car and walked around front and it was on the ground.. the glue was very very warm lol**"

haha i feel ya there...... lol ^
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #10
Slody 4 Futbol

is there any chance of it being the alternator? because when trying to crank it today... it sounded like normal when i tried 2 crank it... it just wouldn't start up... today... i was gonna show someone what it would do... and it would turn over... but with a harsh sound to it... sounded very weird... maybe it had just enuff to keep it going the other day... and not enuff 2 even turn over good now? then again i have no idea about this mechanical stuff... i'm a car audio and soccer guy lol
Old 08-28-2003, 08:43 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm, when my main relay was bad it used to discharge my battery once in a while. i had the same problem before the relay went out. if it's the alternator the car would start but run like crap. maybe your battery is just srained from all the cranking.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:43 PM   #12
Slody 4 Futbol

well... i know it's not the battery... i remembered we had 2 jump it off when i bought it in february and never got around 2 buying a new one... cuz it's been running fine since... i bought a new one today... but... still the same thing... where and what is this main relay thing ur talking about? **please don't make fun of me i have NO idea about this mechanical stuff lol**
Old 08-28-2003, 08:45 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well it should be under the dash, but i have no clue where on your car. does the car make a click when the check engine light goes off (with the engine off)? if you can hear the click the main relay is still good. just listen for the click and that's the main relay

Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 PM   #14
Slody 4 Futbol

well i just went outside... put my ear up 2 the dash... and heard a click... so i turned it off and watched til the light went off and it clicked again so i guess the main relay is good... anything else i should check? or just try 2 get my distributor and starter off and take it 2 autozone for the free checking??
Old 08-28-2003, 10:37 PM   #15
pauls-si

Have you checked the fuel pump?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:58 PM   #16
Slody 4 Futbol

i can hear it come on when i turn the car on... but i haven't physically checked it... i dunno what 2 do lol
Old 08-29-2003, 06:27 AM   #17
pauls-si

Did you ever check the coil?......Mine went out at an autocross one day. I was leaving then all of a sudden it just died. At first i thought it was the timing belt....then me and my buddy noticed the car wasn't getting any spark. So we got a ride to the local parts store and picked up a new coil, replaced the old one, then she cranked right up.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:32 AM   #18
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well just take the spark plugs out and crank the car. if you can smell gas there then the fuel system is good. yeah i agree the coil might be a problem. maybe you should look into an aftermarket coil then, and an igniter unit

Old 08-31-2003, 09:46 PM   #19
Slody 4 Futbol

ok... today... i bought and put in a new ignition coil... it would turn over now!!... it would ALMOST catch... so i checked the spark plugs.. and they were rusted and one of them was completely bad... so i went 2 autozone and bought 4 new plugs... me and my brother's friend put them in 2nite and added gas.. i'm now up to half a tank... it cranks fine now... but i'm not gonna drive it yet... when i give it gas.. it stutters to go... if i'm in neutral and rev it... it doesn't have a smooth sound... it's kinda gargled i guess you'd say... it kinda idles a little rough too... could all that messing with the distributor and all make the engine jump timing?
Old 08-31-2003, 11:46 PM   #20
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm maybe the ignition timing is off. yours should have like 16-17 degrees btdc

Old 09-04-2003, 11:56 AM   #21
Slody 4 Futbol

turned out 2 be just 2 crossed spark plug wires... my car runs now! and it runs a lil better 2... new spark plugs... battery... and ignition coil... thanks for helpin me out guys
Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM   #22
pauls-si

At least she's running good now...