.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2001, 07:36 AM   #1
Aperio

Car only starts when it feels like it.

Here's the poop:
I own a 93 del Sol. I know nothing of mechanics, so go easy on me. I'll do my best to describe the problem using my non-mechanical terms

I drove home from a meeting the other day (approx a 60 mile drive). When I arrived home and opened the car door, I could hear a hissing noise - almost like air escaping. My friend suggested maybe it was the a/c compressor (or something close to that). I turned my car off and then restarted it to see if I could hear it again. My car turned over...went like it was going to start and then died. Tried it again. Same thing. Third time, it started.

To make a long story short, here's what I have figured out. If I start my car cold, it starts with no problems. If I drive my car even just around the block, turn it off and then try to restart it, it takes several tries. I noticed that if I listen when I turn the key, I don't hear the fuel pump prime (again, I don't know if that's the right term...but I think I'm close) the times it doesn't start.

So.... what am I in store for here? Is this going to wipe me out financially? Is it most likely going to be the fuel pump or something along those lines, or could it be an indication of another type problem?

*sigh* It always seems to be something...

Mary
Old 12-10-2001, 08:59 AM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Depending on if the hissing noise has anything to do with the problem, it could be a couple of things.

1- Faulty coolant thermostat.
2- Faulty heat sensor
3- A fuel pump that's ready for retirement

After the 3rd try (when the car started), was it ideling normally?

When you put your car in gear, was it smooth, or did it jerk?

Notice any difference in fuel consumption and/or acceleration?

Without using the a/c, do you still here the hissing?
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 09:59 AM   #3
slowEJ6

another simple thing to check is the air filter, when the air filter is clogged it cause the car to have trouble starting when the engine is warmed up.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 10:23 AM   #4
Aperio

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
Depending on if the hissing noise has anything to do with the problem, it could be a couple of things.

1- Faulty coolant thermostat.
2- Faulty heat sensor
3- A fuel pump that's ready for retirement

After the 3rd try (when the car started), was it ideling normally?

When you put your car in gear, was it smooth, or did it jerk?

Notice any difference in fuel consumption and/or acceleration?

Without using the a/c, do you still here the hissing?

Once I got the car started it idled fine, ran smoothly - no real problems. It seems as though the main thing is that when my car is hot, I can't hear the fuel pump prime prior to starting the car - this is what usually takes about three tries until I can hear it do it's thing. Does that make any sense?
Old 12-10-2001, 10:51 AM   #5
slowEJ6

sounds like it could be a leak in the fuel line as theres not enough pressure in the system to get the fuel to the injectors.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:55 AM   #6
slowEJ6

oh, and could be your fuel pressure regulator saying buh bye.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:09 AM   #7
Aperio

What's the deal with the hot versus cold start though? And am I going to damage my car if I need to drive it around 10 miles to the mechanic?

This is a pain in my you-know-what.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:21 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it sounds like a fuel pump trouble to me. I had a few friends with veedubs that had the same problem, after the engine will get warm they will have a hissing, and car won't start. After they replaced the pump it was fine. one of my friends used full fuel system cleaner 10 times and it stopped doing that. hope this helps.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 02:53 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

ok, it's probably the pump..

But what's strange is that the check engine light should have come on when the pump started to act up..

Thats what lead me to think thermostat. But if your car runs smooth, then its not the thermostat.

I doubt you'll damage anything driving to your mechanic. Avoid driving @ WOT.

If I recall well, a new pump cor your car is around 150$ USD.

Old 12-10-2001, 09:32 PM   #10
hondapower

Sorry guys, wrong. Its nice you tried to help but in honda terms its called a main relay or some people call it a fuel pump relay. The hissing noise has nothing to do with it. The relay is located under the driver side dash. I think its gray or brown with one 10mm bolt holding it. It will cost about 45.00 your price at honda dealership only. Im 100% postive this is your problem. You drive a honda why would it be all that other stuff above, thats only for american cars. If you what to fix it take to a honda dealer not some back woods shop, they dont have clue. Oh the reason it starts when its cold and not when its hot is because it sticks when its hot. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:20 AM   #11
Aperio

I think hondapower wins the gold star...

I believe my mechanic said that it was the main engine relay or something along those lines. $120 to fix her up. Not too bad. I was expecting worse.

Hopefully by late this afternoon I will be back amoung the proud Honda drivers on the road.

Thanks all,
Mary
Old 12-12-2001, 12:50 PM   #12
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Good job hondapower on pinpointing the problem..

Maybe you should moderate this forum?!

Old 12-12-2001, 07:09 PM   #13
hondapower

Thank you, I appreciate the good words. I dont think im ready to moderate a form yet besides not much time. I will keep my eye on this one though and help were I can. My specialty is civics. Im a auto body tech so any questions in that area i can answer. If you need me just look me up. Later

Old 12-14-2001, 12:59 PM   #14
Boosted3g

Hondalady if you need one I have a few of them laying around and you are more than welcome to have one. It is known as the PGM-FI relay and it is located right above the dead pedal. Its really easy to replace it only one 10mm bolt. Let me know if you want it.