Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Wheel Weights?!?

When you get your wheels weighted are you suppose to be able to see them? Look at the pic below.

Then look bad in opinion. Is it supposed to be like that? I thought they would hide them. At least that what they said. Is it possible to have them put on the inside?
Old 04-26-2002, 11:39 PM   #2
SilverHX4Me
2nd Gear

you cant see mine so id say no they dont have to be like that, i just asked the guy to not stick them on my wheels and he said no problem and stuck them somewhere else.
SilverHX4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 12:57 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

if u don't like them give me the wheels. i'll happily give you my z racing wheels.

actually on mine the weights are behind the wheel, and they are normal weights like those for steelies

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 01:23 AM   #4
slowEJ6

my wheels are on the inner part of the wheel, you cant see em like you can yours at all.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 11:22 AM   #5
BrandonClaps

there are 2 different methods, clamp ons like factory wheels where they clamp them on the rim on the inside lip (yucky and will **** the wheel up) then like that like yours. I have yours i have some weights in the middle and towards the outside. It's completely normal and better for the wheel..

i'll take pics of mine today
Old 04-27-2002, 04:13 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
there are 2 different methods, clamp ons like factory wheels where they clamp them on the rim on the inside lip (yucky and will **** the wheel up) then like that like yours. I have yours i have some weights in the middle and towards the outside. It's completely normal and better for the wheel..

i'll take pics of mine today

Alright. Makes me feel a bit better. But I could swear that there was some way to have them hidden.....
Old 04-27-2002, 04:47 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

When I had wheels on my GTi, I talked to the tire place about their balancing techniques. They said that the further toward the outside of the rim the wieghts are, the better balanced the wheel can be. I don't know if they were just blowin smoke, but that's what they said.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:03 PM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
When I had wheels on my GTi, I talked to the tire place about their balancing techniques. They said that the further toward the outside of the rim the wieghts are, the better balanced the wheel can be. I don't know if they were just blowin smoke, but that's what they said.
Makes sense since most OE wheels are that way.
I have to go back in Monday for a re-torque anyhow so I'll ask them then.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #9
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

I would think that the best place to put balancing weights would be along the plane that is causing the lack of balance....thus if you were free to put the weights anywhere on the wheel, you would achieve better balance than limiting yourself to an inner or outer edge.

For example, if the wheel is out of balance due to a dent on the inner lip by the tire, then I would suspect that the best place to put the balancing weights would be on the inner lip by the tire.

Although if you get a wheel balanced, regardless of where the weights are put, it's still a balance wheel....as long as it's balanced properly with respect to its axis of rotation. One would have to be some kind of idiot to balance it in some other manner....unless you're trying to use the wheel for some purpose other than to support a tire for a car.

b