Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Who believes...

Who here believes in UFOs and other crazy non-earth shit? Furthermore, does the government know and intentionally keep it a secret? For me, the answer to both is a resounding yes. But then again I think conspiracy theories kick much ass. But here's what I wonder...are the people who keep these secrets justified in doing so? Most people will automatically assume that the public would handle such information well...but I'm not so sure. Think about it, a person can be smart...but people are panicky and illogical so who knows what the hell some morons would do if you smacked them in the face with a realization like that? Your thoughts?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #2
CD5Passion

Honestly I wouldn't doubt something of that nature
when my father was in the airforce, he worked a radar site somewhere in colorado on some mountains. during a night of keeping an eye on the radars him and a few others noticed that there was something large on the radar. he told me they went outside to see what in the world it could be but they didn't see or hear anything. The next morning him and his ..(sitemates?) told their commanding officer about what they saw on the radar. Soon after apparently the CO told them all "it was nothing, forget you even saw it"

my dad told me this once when we were speaking about extraterrestrial life and the possibility there of. i found it very very interesting

you know if aliens ever contacted us that half the world would spaz the fuck out. still a lot of people that think we are particularly special and that god made us and only us. guess we'll only have to see huh
Old 01-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
Mischief

I think there are just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many possibilities for life NOT to exist somewhere else.. Do I believe these beings have visited our planet? Quite possibly, but nobody knows for sure unless it's under tight wraps..I just find it hard to believe with the millions and millions of stars and planets orbiting them that there can't be a planet just like ours out there somewhere..

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

I believe that shit. I've never seen a UFO but my ex- claims she did. She doesnt ever talk about weird stuff like that but one day when i visited her home town in Maine, out of nowhere she started talking about it, as we were going through the supposed to be location of the incident. She looked really freaked out. She didnt want to talk about it ever again after mentioning it to me.....

As far as non-earth shit.... I believe in ghost and spirit stuff tho based off experience....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16

As far as non-earth shit.... I believe in ghost and spirit stuff tho based off experience....

let's hear it bro, I love the paranormal shit haha

sometimes freaky things happen that just can't be explained i know I've seen some weird shit

also something i just tought about, do you think maybe when the first man came to be and founded a religion..think maybe "god" was an "alien"
that what they worshipped as a being that lives in the sky is not actually of this earth?..just alittle food for thought
Old 01-17-2005, 01:19 AM   #6
Mischief

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
She doesnt ever talk about weird stuff like that but one day when i visited her home town in Maine, out of nowhere she started talking about it, as we were going through the supposed to be location of the incident.
Don't say that shit dude you get me freakin' out now.. I keep looking at my blinds covering my windows now.. Someone hold me
Old 01-17-2005, 01:37 AM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Gosei_Passion
also something i just tought about, do you think maybe when the first man came to be and founded a religion..think maybe "god" was an "alien"
that what they worshipped as a being that lives in the sky is not actually of this earth?..just alittle food for thought

I don't know about that man...but I do believe certain things in the bible were other-worldly i.e. firery chariots, certain kinds of angels. Let's face it...these people weren't exactly hi-tech.

And Mischief...no.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 01-17-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
I don't know about that man...but I do believe certain things in the bible were other-worldly i.e. firery chariots, certain kinds of angels. Let's face it...these people weren't exactly hi-tech.

who are we speaking of here as not being hitech? the "biblical" creatures or the beleivers?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
who are we speaking of here as not being hitech? the "biblical" creatures or the beleivers?

The subjects of the stories.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:52 AM   #10
CD5Passion

ok so you're saying that what these people saw were perceived as flaming chariots and such? when in fact they could have been ...well ufo's per say
Old 01-17-2005, 03:42 AM   #11
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
ok so you're saying that what these people saw were perceived as flaming chariots and such? when in fact they could have been ...well ufo's per say

Exactly. I've got nothing to back it up...but it's certainly a possibility.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:09 AM   #12
IALuder

i think we are an ant farm actually. there some bigger creature keeping us a pets.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I still think the best "proof" that we've been visited by beings more advanced than our pitiful selves is the ancient Sumarians. Roughly 4000 years ago they had detailed maps of our solar system. Most of us couldn't even see other planets until the 15th or 16th cerntury. There's almost no way these people could've had this information without the help of some higher intelligence. If that is indeed the case, then it disturbs me that the Sumarian calender and the Mayan calender both end on the same day in the same year. I forget the exact day, but it's some time in April, 2012. I believe April 17th, 2012. Why plan thousands of years in advance unless it means something?

Old 01-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
Wren57

I will be shocked if this planet makes it to 2012.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
IALuder

^yup.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #16
CD5Passion

Quote:
I still think the best "proof" that we've been visited by beings more advanced than our pitiful selves is the ancient Sumarians. Roughly 4000 years ago they had detailed maps of our solar system. Most of us couldn't even see other planets until the 15th or 16th cerntury. There's almost no way these people could've had this information without the help of some higher intelligence. If that is indeed the case, then it disturbs me that the Sumarian calender and the Mayan calender both end on the same day in the same year. I forget the exact day, but it's some time in April, 2012. I believe April 17th, 2012. Why plan thousands of years in advance unless it means something?

i heard something along those lines back in my western humanities class last semester. but i never really put much though to it. but it is an interesting point.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #17
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Yeah...Einstein touched on it, too. Something about a harmonic convergance (all of the planets lining up exactly) during that year. Supposedly that would throw off gravity and fuck up our christmas. Will it happen? I don't know. Would it suck? You betcha.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #18
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

With the utter size of the universe as a whole, there is no question that there is other life out there. I don't even doubt that there is life that is intelligent.
But going along with the sheer size of the universe, its unlikely that any of these species will ever contact physically. Unless one has some space/time folding device like in Event Horizon (movie kicks ass), I don't ever see it happening before the sun dies and our planet (and people if we don't expand beyond the solar system) is burnt to nothingness
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #19
CD5Passion

but given the sun most likely wont begin to expand to a red giant for a few millions or even billions of years. at least that's what i would hope lol.
but I'm sure some life form out there has found a way to utilize something like a worm hole.
and one thing that gets me is the fact that people say planets such as maybe jupiter or hell even venus is unable to sustain life. when we view another planets chances of harboring life we look for something that's similiar to our own atmosphere. what says life can exist in such a place like venus? it would just be vastly different from our own, right?
Old 01-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
but given the sun most likely wont begin to expand to a red giant for a few millions or even billions of years. at least that's what i would hope lol.
but I'm sure some life form out there has found a way to utilize something like a worm hole.
and one thing that gets me is the fact that people say planets such as maybe jupiter or hell even venus is unable to sustain life. when we view another planets chances of harboring life we look for something that's similiar to our own atmosphere. what says life can exist in such a place like venus? it would just be vastly different from our own, right?

This is true. If we want to explore the idea of other life forms we have to be willing to accept the possibility that it may not be life as we've come to know it. Hell, not too long ago worms were discovered in the ocean living off of methane. They ONLY lived in methane bursts from the ocean floor. Nobody thought that life forms could exist in such an environment...sub-zero temperatures in methane. If we didn't see that coming, what else have we ignored?

Old 01-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #21
CD5Passion

I just find it very hard to beleive that something doens't live on venus or Jupiter.... well any other planet with an atmosphere which is like...what...all but 3 planets? (Mercury, Mars, Pluto don't have much of an atmosphere correct?)

also i think I heard somewhere that venus may very well be what Earth was like in the beginning, very chaotic
Old 01-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #22
pdiggitydogg

I doubt things live on jupiter because of the massive gravity, distance from the sun, and the fact that its gas.
If we're ever going to find living life, in our solar system, its going to be on a planet's moon, like those of Saturn.
No one is ever going to convince NASA to look for things different than our own life and its requirements. They're too stubborn.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #23
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

according to us govt i am an alien

but seriously i doubt there is no other form of life on other planets. And yeah i beleive that the UFO's are real and we are being visited. and for the govt coverups it's just so peoplewon't panic, or get like a mass hysteria like the end of the world is near.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 PM   #24
CD5Passion

haven't they discovered ice on one of jupiters moons? think they were saying it'd be the next place we could possibly settle? just gotta pollute the bejeebus out of it so we could thicken the atmosphere
:o
Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #25
pdiggitydogg

Were you referring to moons? I know that titan has frozen liquid methane.
The main thing with atmosphere production is gravity. The size of a moon would need to be at least similar to that of mars itself in order for a thick atmosphere of what we need for survival to even stay put. If we're talking about moving anyway.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #26
CD5Passion

yeah Titan i couldn't remember the name. I'm doubting that we'll even see humans traveling even that far in our lifetimes.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #27
pdiggitydogg

probably not, no.

A bit of a side question:
Does anyone else think that it is possible to excede light speed, without folding? I know its common for everyone to say that light is the comsic limit...but we used to say that we'd never excede the speed of sound. Theoretically, there are tiny molecules associated w/ string theory that travel faster than light.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:29 PM   #28
Wren57

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
And yeah i beleive that the UFO's are real and we are being visited. and for the govt coverups it's just so peoplewon't panic, or get like a mass hysteria like the end of the world is near.

I am Agent W. Look directly into the light.

*puts on sunglasses*

*FLASH*

There is no intelligent life beyond Earth. You were merely delusional and temporarily subjected to chaotic propoganda. You are gonna go buy a Stuff Magazine and read it, find a hot girl and get a good job. You will be a materialistic capitalist, and you will be blissfully happy due to your ignorance. Have a nice day
Old 01-17-2005, 11:18 PM   #29
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
I am Agent W. Look directly into the light.

*puts on sunglasses*

*FLASH*

There is no intelligent life beyond Earth. You were merely delusional and temporarily subjected to chaotic propoganda. You are gonna go buy a Stuff Magazine and read it, find a hot girl and get a good job. You will be a materialistic capitalist, and you will be blissfully happy due to your ignorance. Have a nice day
what?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 AM   #30
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
what?

Men In Black reference.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:31 AM   #31
CD5Passion

:o i knew that I wasn't sure if he was trying to show his opinion through it tho
Old 01-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #32
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Re: Who believes...

Quote:
Who here believes in UFOs and other crazy non-earth shit?

I'm somewhat neutral on this point. From one side of it, I have a hard time believing in stuff I can't or haven't seen. That goes for pretty much everything. However, on the other side of it I don't doubt that it is completely possible for there to be other forms of life out there.

I'd love to actually meet one.

I was watching something on Crop Circles, and Area 51 the other day. It's interesting stuff for sure.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #33
IALuder

man, crop circles. bring back a memory. here in IA someone reported a crop circle that ended up being teens out fawkin around. the crop circle that was actaully a penis.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #34
Mischief

http://mensalmanac.com
Old 01-18-2005, 11:52 AM   #35
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i actually took a class that was 90% based on this, and these ideas. basically i believe that there is something else out there that is alive.

now when and where is the huge question. we as humans have been around for a very short amount of time in the huge picture of the universe. the probobility of it alone is against there being nothing else out there. if there are lets say 10,000,000,000 stars (i think its closer to 40-50 billion, but you'll get the point) and .01% of those have planets(which from what the prof was saying is much higher but to be conservative it works) and .01% of those have planets with atmospheres(another under estimate), and .01% of those planets spawn some sort of life and .01% of those have evolved to intellegent life. thats 100 planets with some sort of intellegent life. now the problem becomes we as humans have just in the past 50-60 years or so evolved to "intellegent life" in the sence of being able to communicate and travel beyond our atmosphere, and we can bairly do that. so now spead across the entire universe you can safely assume that there is/was 100 or so civilizations(who came about from their own evolution, not colinolizing) capable of space communication and travel, spread out over billions of years and almost just as many light years.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #36
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I heard some guy the other day saying that the idea of aliens was heretical and god created us and ONLY us. My immediate thought? "What the fuck?". So he just threw the rest of that shit out there to impress us? Last I checked omnipresent supergalactic beings didn't need the approval of a bunch of psychotic apes. Oh...he also claimed that shows like Futurama were against god because by that time rapture will surely have occured. The human race: leading the universe in being arrogant dicks since 8,000 B.C.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #37
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
I heard some guy the other day saying that the idea of aliens was heretical and god created us and ONLY us. My immediate thought? "What the fuck?". So he just threw the rest of that shit out there to impress us? Last I checked omnipresent supergalactic beings didn't need the approval of a bunch of psychotic apes. Oh...he also claimed that shows like Futurama were against god because by that time rapture will surely have occured. The human race: leading the universe in being arrogant dicks since 8,000 B.C.

I suppose that he was a "professional" in this field too. People are such wankers. I don't get how you can argue an idea that you can't prove.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #38
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I suppose that he was a "professional" in this field too. People are such wankers.

I don't know...can you be a professional in the field of dipshittery?

Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #39
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
I don't know...can you be a professional in the field of dipshittery?

Well I think so... There seem to be an awful lot of them floating around if not.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #40
Wren57

FRAUDS!