::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2001, 02:53 PM   #1
eXNBP

How much would a custom turbo cost?

Just wondering if anyone here has a custom turbo? And if so how much did they get it for? How long did it take to install it? And what parts do i need to make one? I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX BTW
Old 12-22-2001, 08:42 PM   #2
Boosted3g

Thats a little too general. List the parst you are thinking of using and we can get a better idea.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:57 PM   #3
gixer

why would you want a custom turbo when they make kits for your car?.......people go custom when it's their last resort, custom turbo also means "custom" price, they charge you whatever they want to charge u......
Old 12-22-2001, 10:42 PM   #4
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

Find an exhaust manifold for your ride...
A turbo that would work on the specific application..
and an intercooler and custom piping for that mroe than likely...

There is a kit that you can get but a custom method could cost a good $ or not to much at all. It depends on your resources and where you get the parts etc from..

Hope this might help additionally...
Old 12-23-2001, 12:34 AM   #5
eXNBP

Quote:
Originally posted by gixer
why would you want a custom turbo when they make kits for your car?....
they dont have one for 2001 Honda Civic's And i was wondering what type of turbo should be used for a 1.7 liter VTEC-E engine
Old 12-23-2001, 07:40 AM   #6
Boosted3g

Sorry dude i wont touch this. I absolutly hate what Honda is doing with their new series of engines.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:38 PM   #7
eXNBP

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
Sorry dude i wont touch this. I absolutly hate what Honda is doing with their new series of engines.
Old 12-24-2001, 01:45 AM   #8
gixer

Quote:
Originally posted by eXNBP
they dont have one for 2001 Honda Civic's And i was wondering what type of turbo should be used for a 1.7 liter VTEC-E engine

you can check with f-max or drag to see if their manifold would fit your 1.7, chances are, most parts will fit but they won't recommend it because it hasn't been tested.....as far as i know, it'll take some work fitting it on, but 1.7liter can't be that far from 1.6......so if you are serious, i'd buy one of these kits, make minor adjustments and your good to go.......

btw......a custom turbo does not have a price to it...you would have to check your local shops and see what they can do.....chances are....it'll be more expensive than kits....
Old 12-25-2001, 06:04 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

yeah, i kind of agree with boosted3g on this one, HOWEVER i am NOT saying that there is no hope for you. another thing is the VTEC-E issue. it is so hard to find a great combination that will create a decent fuel and spark set-up for it. u can go custom turbo. the research for a boost dependent FMU for your set-up may be a big challenge. have u tried checking with JRSC? .......unless u really want turbo then time is the factor. one of these days, GReddy or FMAX will come up with a kit i will keep an eye on the web about turboed 7 gen civics ok.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 07:04 AM   #10
Boosted3g

Just to give you an idea heres what i got some of parts for

Spearco intecooler 28x10.5x3.5 $650 used but near new

Garrett 60-1 with a t3 turbine $750 from Majestic Turbo

SFP tubular manifold $450

3" downpipe $300

Turbonetics Racegate $338

piping and BOV were from my old DRAG kit expect to pay around
185 for the BOV and a good 3-400 for nice piping. Importparts.com will sell you piping kits but i doubt there is anything for the new Civics yet.

This will get you started. You will need some sort of fueling for the kit. It can be as simple as a Votech FMU which can be had form 180 bucks. The custom route can be had cheap or it can be very expensive. It all depends on what you want to do and what your goals are. If you are looking for jsut a street machine then the cost shouldnt be too bad. I would say it could be done for under 3K with a little bit of searching. Not everyone wants a 60-1 o that there alone will save you some loot. The hardest part will be finding a manifold and piping. You will need a downpipe but that is not too hard to make. My suggestion would bet to buy some used parts to save money if that is an issue.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:09 AM   #11
Wookie

I did mine for around 650-700 US dollars. EBay is a wonderful place!!