.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2002, 11:31 AM   #1
quik

Me vs Chrysler, I WON!!! sort of... WARNING, LONG!

I bought a 2001 Durango R/T about 2 years ago. Don't ask me why I bought a Dodge. Let's just say that topic is never discussed at our house anymore . Anyway, here's what I went through:

In 10 months I made 10 trips to the dealer. The CPU was flashed 3 times for spark knock and check engine light on. The filter, pump, and a couple of hoses were replaced in the emissions system. The rear differential, front differential, and transfer case were all replaced to get rid of a whinning noise at highway speeds. And, for some reason after they put the darn thing back together, the car would shake at highway speeds. I had the tires balanced 2 times and the whole thing aligned, and I could NOT get rid of that shimmy. And finally, I made 4 trips to 3 different dealers to fix a slipping transmission, non of them could fix the problem .

I called Chrysler 3 times. Once to ask for help with all of my problems (they said "Take it back to the dealer" ). The other two times I asked a Chrysler Engineer (I use that term loosely) a question. Each time I called I asked the same technical question in the same way, and I got a two different answers.

I didn't qualify for the Lemon Law in VA, because the vehicle had only been in the shop a total of 27 days when it reached 18 months old. The law says it has to be in the shop a total of 30 days or more by the time the vehicle is 18 months old . So I filed for arbitration against Chrysler, and the arbitration company thought I had a good case and agreed to hear me out. I met with an arbitrator and a local Dodge dealer rep, and pleaded my case about how I deserved a new car. Well the arbitrator agreed with me!! Chrysler had to let me purchase a brand new Chrysler product (MB not included ) at the MSRP and apply the MSRP of MY vehicle when it was brand new toward the purchase of the new vehicle. If you figure in how much I would have lost on trading in my troubled DUH-rango for a new car, I just saved about $8,000!! Not really worth all of the trouble over the past 10 months, but at least I didn't get completely screwed!

I had to CROW about this, and I figured you guys would like to hear about it. Oh, and if your wondering, we got a 2002 Durango R/T . I tried to trade it in for a Honda Pilot, but they offered me $12,000 less than what I paid for the new durango. And I can't afford to take a hit like that. Besides, the first durango had to be the bad one of the bunch, so this one's got to work out (I hope!).
Old 08-15-2002, 11:43 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

at least you got what you wanted, a new car. really i noticed the same problem on a lot of chrysler cars, and a noticeable tremmor at idle. i wonder wassup with that ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 12:03 PM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

So far mom and dad have been fairly lucky on thier '00, it does shift funny and the dealer keeps telling them its nothing, but thats really all the problems they have had so far. But my dad hates it anyway. Hes already said he'll never buy another dodge again.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:03 PM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

At least you got a new car out of it.

A new durango and they offered you 12,000 less on trade in? Dang.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:33 PM   #5
mt.biker

stay away from NA cars.. talk to dimitry about his car problems if you ever think about getting a NA car again!
Old 08-16-2002, 12:55 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

NA what the hell is NA ? i can't think of anything else besides Naturally aspirated. (geez i'm a gearhead now )

Old 08-16-2002, 05:33 AM   #7
Surfr

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
NA what the hell is NA ? i can't think of anything else besides Naturally aspirated. (geez i'm a gearhead now )

North American at a guess, which basically means US as to my knowledge there are no Canadian Auto Manufacturers?
Old 08-16-2002, 07:32 AM   #8
quik

I always follow that rule. My first vehicle was a 87' Itscrewsyou pick up, and now I've got a 97' Civic. But, when we went SUV shopping she had he mind set on that Duh-rango. I made her test drive the MDX and the MB 320, but she said they look like mini-vans (which they do, but at least they're not made by one of the big 3 :o ). Then, after begging her not to buy it, I had to take it back to the shop again, and again, and again, and again. Like I said, we don't talk about it any more in our house.

Quik
Old 08-16-2002, 07:36 AM   #9
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by quik
I always follow that rule. My first vehicle was a 87' Itscrewsyou pick up, and now I've got a 97' Civic. But, when we went SUV shopping she had he mind set on that Duh-rango. I made her test drive the MDX and the MB 320, but she said they look like mini-vans (which they do, but at least they're not made by one of the big 3 :o ). Then, after begging her not to buy it, I had to take it back to the shop again, and again, and again, and again. Like I said, we don't talk about it any more in our house.

Quik

dont you mean the ML 320?

btw NA= north american
Old 08-16-2002, 07:51 AM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have to disagree with crappy NA cars. my family had 3 GM's so far and alltoghther did not have as many problms as my honda did. i guess gm's look weird but they last for a while.

Old 08-16-2002, 07:54 AM   #11
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i have to disagree with crappy NA cars. my family had 3 GM's so far and alltoghther did not have as many problms as my honda did. i guess gm's look weird but they last for a while.

but dude your car is 10 years old... what were you expecting? my family has turned over our hondas/acuras every 3-4 years... after 5-6 years thats when you have to start replacing stuff.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:04 AM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker

but dude your car is 10 years old... what were you expecting?

dood the van my dad got rid of was a 91 i think. the only thing he had to replace in it was 2 tires because he drove over a box of nails and picked up 55 nails in 2 tires, and the battery. he got the car when it had 130k miles and got rid of it well into the 180k miles. my mom's buick is a 92 (10 years old) and we replaced the battery and the brake pads. it has like 15k miles less than mine. i'm not trying to be an advocate for the NA cars, but that's my personal experience with them.

Old 08-16-2002, 08:12 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Every car makers have one problem or another. Its simple mechanics. The more parts you have the more chances of them breaking, its just that some companies have more problems then others..
Old 08-16-2002, 08:17 AM   #14
mt.biker

true RR also you have to remeber whos driving the car, it makes a big difference
Old 08-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #15
quik

Quote:

dont you mean the ML 320?

Yep, (Mercedes Benz 320).

Quik
Old 08-16-2002, 10:10 AM   #16
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
true RR also you have to remeber whos driving the car, it makes a big difference

You saying rednecks cant drive?
Old 08-16-2002, 11:33 AM   #17
quik

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

You saying rednecks cant drive?

We don't call them rednecks any more. Now, they're just called West Virginian's J/K.

Quik
Old 08-17-2002, 02:16 AM   #18
Violent Apathy

Hey now I like Durangos. My parents never had any problems with it despite how hard i ran it whenever i drove it, except for the tires i wore out hehehe

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 08:44 AM   #19
mt.biker

yup rr thats what i said