::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2002, 07:54 AM   #1
mt.biker

Driving Force

Looking for a new car? Maybe you’d like to look at this latest model. It doesn’t have any pedals. There’s no engine compartment. It doesn’t require any gas. And there’s no traditional steering wheel.

Sound like something out of Star Trek? It’s not. It’s a new vehicle called the Hy-wire that will be introduced by General Motors at the Paris Auto Show in September. It’s the first car powered by a hydrogen fuel cell and ‘by-wire’ technology. And you steer it using something called an “X-drive”. The new fangled video-game-like controller allows the driver to access brakes or steer the vehicle electronically, instead of mechanically. And you don’t have to let your feet do the driving. All the traditional controls are done by either hand, letting you accelerate by twisting the handgrips, or stopping by squeezing the brake actuator on the same device. And it can be accessed from anywhere in the vehicle.

“The most dramatic view of this car may be from the driver's seat,” enthuses G.M. designer Ed Welburn. "Imagine having no engine, instrument panel or foot pedals in front of you - an open, yet secure cockpit with a floor to ceiling view. It's like being in my living room looking out my picture window.” G.M. hopes to have a working vehicle for sale within the next decade.

Other Highlights

The front and rear panels are made of transparent glass, and the lack of a hood provides a better view of the road.
The seat backs are open.
There’s no post between the front and rear doors, giving both drivers and passengers more leg room.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:00 AM   #2
juvenile

damn, that looks hype, but what if some electrical thing "****s up" and all of a sudden you can't steer or stop. oh ow!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:25 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

that thong looks better than the new civic SI, but i still prefer the old skool driving with pedals and a steering wheel, instead of a joystick.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 10:36 AM   #4
msvtec14

Ewe. That's cool and all in terms of what that car is capable of but it's ugly. It's looks like something that you would drive on the moon.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:29 PM   #5
Kyle
elyK

I wouldn't mind driving on the Moon...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:57 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Joystick...

I cant even keep the car on the road in Gran Turismo.. I hate to see it in a real car..:o
Old 08-15-2002, 08:03 PM   #7
ShEaNy

LOL no kidding that car is ugly....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:27 PM   #8
insomniac_91

it is an ugly car....
Old 08-15-2002, 09:26 PM   #9
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
damn, that looks hype, but what if some electrical thing "****s up" and all of a sudden you can't steer or stop. oh ow!

dude shit could fail you in your car and kill you right now hehe

but i get your point
Old 08-16-2002, 12:48 AM   #10
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker

dude shit could fail you in your car and kill you right now hehe

but i get your point

Great, now I'm going to be all paranoid tomorrow when I'm driving. But yeah, if aliens didn't scare me...Driving on the moon would be sweet. But still, that car is ugly.