::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Wren57

Lugnut stud

I was just wondering- when I changed my tire, my lugnut got stripped, along with my stud. Damn air compressors... heh... anyways, how hard is it to replace the stud myself, as I dont want to have to pay 120 to Toyota or 70 to firestone to fix it. Any time amount and/or instructions would help. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Never changed on in a Highlander before..
Old 08-13-2002, 12:57 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have no clue on a highlander, but in my accord i'd rather pay $120. anyway make the shop replace it because they stripped it

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 01:05 PM   #4
msvtec14

Re: Lugnut stud

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
I was just wondering- when I changed my tire, my lugnut got stripped, along with my stud. Damn air compressors... heh... anyways, how hard is it to replace the stud myself, as I dont want to have to pay 120 to Toyota or 70 to firestone to fix it. Any time amount and/or instructions would help. Thanks.

I'm going through the same shit with my car right now. I went to get an alignment done and asked them to tighten the lugs and I was driving and 3 of them practically fell off. Then I tightened them and discovered one of the studs was totally stripped.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:21 PM   #5
Wren57

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Never changed on in a Highlander before..

I didnt figure anyone here had. The fact you say you havent "on a highlander" leads me to believe you have on another model car. Any vague instructions would help, as I can feel my way around the brake/suspension assembly. Im good with mechanics, so hopefully I will be able to find the proper route. I might just take it to Firestone for $70 to get it fixed. Because if I try, and fail, its $70 just to tow it there from my house. oh well, keep the ideas coming, and any vague idea of how long it may take or what I should do/look for would help. The people at Firestone said itd take them an hour, so itd prob take me 2+. Any ideas would help. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:44 PM   #6
mt.biker

why waste your time? just get it done right
Old 08-13-2002, 07:12 PM   #7
Wren57

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
why waste your time? just get it done right

Woudlnt be wasting my time. I get paid $10US/hour, so if it took me 7 hours to complete, itd be the same as if I went to work. Is work wasting my time? I think not. And if I can save $70, there isnt a reason to NOT do it myself, if I can. That and I am always wanting to learn how to work on cars, so it would be a learning experience as well. I would certainly do it right, Im anal about my car. I ordered a Shop Repair Manual for a Highlander just today. I think im just gonna look at it and figure out if I have the knowhow to do it or not. I was looking more for people that have experience with changing one to help, not people just to tell me to dish out cash... thats the easy way of the ignorant masses. I want to be self-sufficient, if at all possible. So how do I do this? Any ideas of problems I might encounter?
Old 08-13-2002, 07:21 PM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

yeah, i'd try to do mine myself, even if it costs me the same amount in tools and parts, i have fun doing it.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote