::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
vtectuned

Ignition timing & turbo question

how do i know if my timing is set right for the amount of boost i want to push?
Old 08-02-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

That is a matter of tuning, unfortunately. Basically, setting your timing has to do with your set-up. You have to consider the variables involved i.e. adjustable FPR setting (fuel pressure), size of fuel pump, external ignition upgrade, grade of fuel, and the atmospheric condition (air temp, humidity, and barometric pressure at sea level, which is your location). Your timing per boost can only be right if you take your car on dyno and tune it. Basically, if you start getting a "knock" or detonation, that means your timing is too advanced (in respect to a turbo set-up). If you have the AFC "hack" and boosting at 10 psi, the AFC automatically advances your timing to about 7-8 degrees at 10 psi boost. This could be bad if your location is hot and humid....... I'm sorry to give you an answer like this man. I dont like it myself, but unfortunately, this is the truth. Come back again.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:49 PM   #3
vtectuned

timing

damn, ain't that a *****. so, what should i do to for start? i ordered everything from the bov to the intercooler. i know what to do when i put my turbo setup on but there's two things that worry me, the timing, the oil supply and drain(i'm not payin no 89 bucks for a 4 foot piece of hose) and my tranny :X i think it's going bad :X

p.s. ay thermal, know who this is right?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
vtectuned

timing

damn, i dunno where to start.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
vtectuned

timing

damn, ain't that a *****. so, what should i do to for start? i ordered everything from the bov to the intercooler. i know what to do when i put my turbo setup on but there's two things that worry me, the timing, the oil supply and drain(i'm not payin no 89 bucks for a 4 foot piece of hose) and my tranny :X i think it's going bad :X

p.s. ay thermal, know who this is right?
Old 08-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

EM2?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 08-02-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

You can still boost on stock timing bro. I'm pushing 8psi on stock timing right now. I have no detonation or knocking even on this hot and humid Va weather. I do plan to retard it at least 1 or 2 degrees. As far as the oil supply line, you have no choice bro. you have to get those steel braided lines. Shiet, talk to a GSM buddy and see if they have some in the storeroom. If not, the cheapest route is to go to ACE hardware store and have them flare out the fittings for you and some copper tubings. I do not recommend this tho, because the vibration on the engine may cause it to come loose or break off. Hoses seem to compensate with vibs better. The return line is gonna be a biatch for sure. If I were you, just get this and call it quits:
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/i...;threadid=5678

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 08-16-2003, 01:23 PM   #8
vtectuned

yeah, this em2. you wouldn't believe what happened dawg. i got into an accident with a drunk driver. total lossed my car.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

sorry to hear that bro...... that really sukz....so wut the plan be?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 08-30-2003, 07:59 PM   #10
Dr Drew

Sorry to hear that man !!