::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
BuudWeizErr

92 LX Problems... TPS? Tranny?

Hi all, I was referred here by Chief, I run Speed-Society that you see sponsoring the Acura Forum.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with my Accord, and I thought I would run it by you guys, because I'm more of a Nissan guy, but the one good thing about my Accord is reliability. Anyway, back on topic, today I went to get my car smogged, and it failed, my o2 and CO were too high, not by much mind you, but still not passing. Luckily I have friends, and I got it to pass, they played around with it, and got it working, I couldn't get a straight answer out of them though as to what exactly they did. I just wanted to know, because I know what I'm doing with engines, I just don't feel like messing around with my Honda (I did my SR20DET swap, so I'm not a n00b).

So anyway, this is my question. Lately, my car has been idling REALLY low, like between 400-500 RPM. The other problem is that when I put it in reverse (Auto), when I start backing up, and the RPM is <1000, it feels really lopey or bumpy, hard to describe, not like the lopey feeling when you have warped rotors. But if I accelerate enough to get it over 1000 RPM, it stops making the lumpy feeling. It's a little bit harder to notice in drive, the easiest way of making it do it in drive is during hard braking.

Anyway, anybody have any idea what the problem is? I'm assuming it's something to do with my idle because it only does it below 1000 RPM.

The other thing I am wondering.... could the low idle be what caused my car not to pass smog on it's own? I didn't ask if it failed just at idle or at idle and at 2500.

Opinions appreciated, TIA.
ryan.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

most likely the car had a rich air fuel mixture and they played around with it. now i think all you are dealing with is a dirty throttle body, and the tranny does that because it actually works electronically based on signals received from the engine.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:53 PM   #3
BuudWeizErr

hondaman-iac -

I could definitely agree to your opinion about the throttle body, I have a cold air intake on my Accord, however I fail to see the correlation between a dirty throttle body and a transmission that is acting up, but I am open to many options!

I will check it tomorrow morning. Thank You.
Before I go, anything else I might check?
Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i drive the same car and i fixed it that way. the problem is the tranny and the torque converter are run by the ECU, which is getting wrong signals from the sensors in the engine

Old 01-07-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
BuudWeizErr

hondaman-iac -

I tried what you said today, I took my intake off and got as far into the plenum as I could with a rag, I cleaned of the walls and the throttle plate and my car is still doing the same thing. No changes, and if there is, my car may be idling 100 RPM or so higher, but that is probably wishful thinking.

Do you have any other ideas?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:46 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah, you need to unplug the iacv (front of the tb) and with the engine running set your idle speed (there is an ajuster screw on the passanger side of the TB) at 550-600, and when you connect back the sensor the rpms should read 750-800. Make sure you have one of those timing lights that tell you the idle speed too. the tach is not that accurate.

also did u use tb cleaner ? did u try cleaning the bypass passage next to the plate ?