::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2001, 07:28 PM   #1
futbol84

b18b and supercharger

My question is I plan on swapping a b18b into my 1992 civic. And maybe putting a supercharger on it. I won't have any problems fitting it in will I? The reason I would go with a supercharger is because I need to keep it street legal since I live in California. Thank you for your help.

Brennan
Old 09-24-2001, 01:27 PM   #2
slowerthanu

While I am not a fan of the JRSC, I can tell you that it should all clear without a problem.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:10 AM   #3
eastcoastdelsol

Quote:
Originally posted by slowerthanu
While I am not a fan of the JRSC, I can tell you that it should all clear without a problem.

i'll second that.

the b18b is a turbo engine, not a spunking racing super ****er engine

but it shoudl fit no problem... the intake of the JRSC actually sits lower in the bay than the stock Intake manifold... so hood clearance is not an issue.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:22 AM   #4
futbol84

Thank you

Well I would put a turbo kit on my b18b but I don't know of any street legal turbo kits made for a b18b. And I have to keep it legal since this car will be a daily driver and plus I live in California so smog is a problem.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:41 AM   #5
OneDopeTeg

Greddy will have a 50 state legal turbo kit available for the B18B very very soon.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:55 PM   #6
hypa

you guys and your anti-jrsc attitudes!

The jrsc is a good system for day to day use. It has awesome throttle response, great torque, and respectable hp #'s.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:28 PM   #7
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by hypa
you guys and your anti-jrsc attitudes!

The jrsc is a good system for day to day use. It has awesome throttle response, great torque, and respectable hp #'s.

I'll second that. Personally, I believe the Vortech has obvious design flaws.

Honestly, I don't think you can fit a JRSC and a B18B into your engine compartment though- it's one or the other. The problem is clearance between the head and the firewall, not hood clearance. You can barely fit a D16 and a JRSC in there.

I say drop an H22. I have a friend with one in his EF. I/H/E, and we've got video of him spanking a C5 Corvette by at least 4 cars.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 07:12 AM   #8
97lude

JRSC's don't work real well with B18b. I think it has to do with the lower compression of the engines, but typically a B18b puts down about ~120 to the wheels stock and with a supercharger it puts down ~150 with lots of tuning. This is the same as a B18c with basic bolt-ons. A B18c with a supercharge will usually put down 190+ with minimal tuning. On the other hand a B18b with a Drag turbo usually puts down well over 200 to the wheels. If you want street legal I'm almost positive a Greddy turbo can be altered to fit a B18b engine. Due to the lower compression of the B18b it is probably the best engine to go turbo on in the Honda/Acura lineup. Plus don't you want that cool blow off valve. Waaaapssssh.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:52 PM   #9
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

The compression is actually what makes B18A/Bs great for running FI. If you go too high with the compression, you get detonation. The 9.2:1 of the LS lends itself to FI much better than the 10.0:1 of the GSR. In addition, the slightly higher displacement and subsequent torque are also better for both types of FI.

Most people don't realize where most of the GSR's power comes from. Believe it or not, the GSR's big advantage over the LS isn't VTEC, it's the higher redline. If the LS had the same redline as a GSR, it would do approximately 140 at the wheels, stock. The GSR does approximately 145. Don't get me wrong- VTEC does make a difference- it's what allows the GSR to still come out 5 hp ahead with 37 cc's less displacement in this hypothetical comparison. And since the supercharger adds power in proportion to the power you're already working with, this is where the GSR comes out way ahead.

Finally, 150 whp is pretty low. I've seen dynos of people hitting numbers in the 185-195 range with just I/H/E in addition to the JRSC. Have to let that sucker breathe.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 12:10 AM   #10
OneDopeTeg

there is not anything wrong with a supercharger.....but I have two words....boost controller. I presonally prefer a turbo setup because the gains that can be realized with turbos are awesome raise the boost for the track, lower it back down for tha street.
Old 10-03-2001, 07:10 AM   #11
97lude

I do agree that the B18A/B has the best compression for forced induction because it is low. But they are a lot more suited to a turbo is what I was trying to get at. A supercharger is limited by how much boost it can run whereas a turbo has the possibility of running much higher boost levels. From almost every dyno I've seen the B18b doesn't take real well to a supercharger. Most of the time only making 20-30 horsepower to the wheels. I do believe that the B18b is a very capable engine and would be my second choice as a swap into a civic, right behind the H22a. Also a B18b with a supercharger in a 92 civic would not be a car I would want to race especially if it had the 8lb pulley upgrade.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:30 AM   #12
slowerthanu

My 2 cents here.

Personally I think the JRSC was a terrible and flawed system right out of the box. !st of all the roots type blower creates tremendous heat when compressing air yet JR didnt ever design a proper intercooler setup for the vehicle, there fuel and timing control is pretty retarded also, Around here in Utah, every kid is JRSC crazy, and unfortuneatly there is only 2 cars with the system that can even run with me. I have seen major problems with part throttle detonation on these cars, hows that for daily driveability. A properly tuned turbo system is the way to go on any car with plans on getting faster with time. If you only want a quick daily driver then stick with a mild NA setup, that will be plenty quick in a hatchback or coupe.