.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2002, 08:58 AM   #1
hondav6

Coilovers, or Springs: What should i do?

Sup Everyone. I am looking to lower my car, but the problem with that is i don't know what i want to do. I drive my car ever day so i would like to find something that has a pretty decent ride. I was just recently looking into the full coilover systems like tein, and apex. I think that those would be a better buy than just the struts and coilover sleeves, but the others are so damn expensive. Let me know what you think, what should i do? What brand has everyone been happy wit?
Old 04-11-2002, 03:14 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

You might want to start by doing a search of this site...

Do you actually need the adjustability of coilovers? Are you going to race? Do you want to spend $1k+ on the setup?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 06:40 PM   #3
hondav6

I would like to have the adjustability just so that if i get pulled over for my car being too low i don't have to take off the whole assembly. I really don't want to spend a g on the set up unless it was worth the money.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:22 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

It is worth the money. What's more important to you, a super nice handling car, or comfort? You will give up comfort for handling. If you don't want to spend the money on true coilovers, I would recommend a nice spring/struts combo instead of coilover sleeves like skunk2, gc, etc.

Old 04-11-2002, 07:24 PM   #5
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
It is worth the money. What's more important to you, a super nice handling car, or comfort? You will give up comfort for handling. If you don't want to spend the money on true coilovers, I would recommend a nice spring/struts combo instead of coilover sleeves like skunk2, gc, etc.

Ditto 100%!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 07:25 PM   #6
hondav6

so what do you think about the skunk 2 coilovers? are they any good? I haven't heard much about them.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:27 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondav6
so what do you think about the skunk 2 coilovers? are they any good? I haven't heard much about them.

Well, I posted before that you should try to stay away from sleeves, but if you're interested... I wanted some in the past also, and found that the general concensus was that Ground Control was the way to go. You will get a fairly bumpy ride, even paired with excellent struts such as Koni yellow. BTW, you will need nice struts if you get the sleeves.

Old 04-11-2002, 07:29 PM   #8
hondav6

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

Well, I posted before that you should try to stay away from sleeves, but if you're interested... I wanted some in the past also, and found that the general concensus was that Ground Control was the way to go. You will get a fairly bumpy ride, even paired with excellent struts such as Koni yellow. BTW, you will need nice struts if you get the sleeves.

Yeah, i was not going to lower the car without changing the struts.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:15 AM   #9
LaOsqUaD

Yeah I had the same problem about choosing a suspension setup for the 01 Accord coupe. I wanted the full coilover setup but they cost to much. I rather spend that amount of money on a set 19" rims or a body kit for the car. I went with coilover sleeves(dropzone) with tokico illumina 5 way adjustables and the ride is like stock. It is really up to u. If u have the money to dish out then go for it. If not do more research and decide later what u want.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:36 AM   #10
SilverCoupe2K1

94_Accord_EX: If my priorities are a good ride and then good handling, in that order, should I go with springs? I was thinking about adding 18" rims and then using the pro kit to drop it 1.2, just to cover up the space in the wheel well. Would I need to change anything else?
Old 04-30-2002, 01:19 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well if u decide on the prokits you don't need new shocks. if you really want some nice handling get a energy suspension master bushing set.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:13 AM   #12
azn_nite_ryder

personally it all depends on what you're trying to achieve... i had springs but wanted a more aggressive look and i was doing track racing.... so i went GAB 8 way adjustable shocks and weapon R coilovers... i love my setup.... its not as hard as other coils i've ridin on... and i like the ride of the ground controls... very nice.... keep in mind tho you have a good set of shocks when doing this... i've seen nasty blows and seeeing oil all over the place is just nasty..
Old 05-01-2002, 01:20 AM   #13
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCoupe2K1
94_Accord_EX: If my priorities are a good ride and then good handling, in that order, should I go with springs? I was thinking about adding 18" rims and then using the pro kit to drop it 1.2, just to cover up the space in the wheel well. Would I need to change anything else?

If your main priority is ride comfort, I'd get springs. The pro-kit would be a good choice, and you don't need to get new struts, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. The pro-kits aren't that great if you're super performance oriented. For only $180ish, I'm thinking about getting a set and slapping them on stock struts until I get the money for the coilovers I want.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:28 PM   #14
SilverCoupe2K1

You say I don't NEED new struts...

should i consider them anyway? what kind of a difference will they make? keep in mind that I'm going for ride comfort, then performance...what kinda struts should i look at? should i look at new shocks too?
Old 05-01-2002, 01:38 PM   #15
Mushroom

Quote:
You say I don't NEED new struts... should i consider them anyway? [...] should i look at new shocks too?

I think the way 94_AcCoRd_EX was using the terms, struts = shocks. If you haven't read the "shocks & struts" sticky, it might be helpful for the terminology.

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=361
Old 05-01-2002, 03:31 PM   #16
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
You say I don't NEED new struts...

should i consider them anyway? what kind of a difference will they make? keep in mind that I'm going for ride comfort, then performance...what kinda struts should i look at? should i look at new shocks too?

Hmm... if you want better handling, get better struts to go with the pro-kit. I've been told that the pro-kit will be ok on stock struts, and since yours are very new, you probably won't have a problem. If you were to buy nice struts, such as Koni yellows, paried with the sportlines, you'll come to about $750. For around $850 you could get the Apex'i WS true coilovers.

Old 05-02-2002, 09:55 AM   #17
SilverCoupe2K1

I was told that I should do my rims first, cuz since I'm adding a wider tire, I may not be able to do the drop without rubbing.
The sales rep was suggesting that I go with 225/40/18 and said that since it was wider, I may not be able to drop 1.5. Any truth to that?
Old 05-02-2002, 12:02 PM   #18
HondaAdict

COILOVERS!!!
Old 05-02-2002, 03:16 PM   #19
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
I was told that I should do my rims first, cuz since I'm adding a wider tire, I may not be able to do the drop without rubbing.
The sales rep was suggesting that I go with 225/40/18 and said that since it was wider, I may not be able to drop 1.5. Any truth to that?

If you get wheels that are the correct offset you should be fine. How wide are the rims you're looking at?

Old 05-03-2002, 10:07 PM   #20
SilverCoupe2K1

I believe they're 7.5

Do you think I should drop first, or add the rims first?
Old 05-03-2002, 10:31 PM   #21
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
I believe they're 7.5

Do you think I should drop first, or add the rims first?

7.5 should be fine...

I'd drop first if you're riding on stock alloys, it will look fine and handle better too.

Old 05-04-2002, 11:11 AM   #22
SilverCoupe2K1

So here's what I'm thinking. I have a list of things I'd like to do on the car...(doesn't everyone?) and I can't possibly do everything at once. When I bought the car I got the Honda Sport Rims, they're 5 spoke, nice, but 15. I figured if I'm gonna drop first, I can probably drop it, I've already done the exhaust, I can add a CAI and maybe do the interior next. Rims next summer...

All this leading to one question...what springs do I get? The most important thing for me is to have good ride quality, I figure the improvement in handling will also be there, regardless of the springs (assuming you get good ones...) I was looking at H &R,
Eibach and Neuspeed...any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2002, 11:43 AM   #23
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

All this leading to one question...what springs do I get? The most important thing for me is to have good ride quality, I figure the improvement in handling will also be there, regardless of the springs (assuming you get good ones...) I was looking at H &R,
Eibach and Neuspeed...any suggestions?

I agree that you should wait on the rims...

With the springs, the improvement in handling will be more apparent with stiff springs, but you want ride quality... If you really want ride quality, I'd go Eibach pro-kit + KYB AGX.

Old 05-04-2002, 02:06 PM   #24
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

If you lower the car, then get new shocks!!

Otherwise, you'll be bouncing all over the place.

Eibach pro-kit + KYB AGX, I dunno what you fellas think about this setup, but with a good set of tires, the handling is quiet amazing.

Daily driving on race springs, is a major pain in the buttocks.

If you lower too much you'll be forced to get a camber kit.

And with a CO setup, when you radically change the ride height, a camber adjustment as well as an alignment, would be recommendable.

If you're going with 18s, then Eibach pro-kit + KYB AGX is the obvious choice. Unless you're building a show car..

Old 05-04-2002, 02:16 PM   #25
SilverCoupe2K1

so forget about the neuspeed and H & R?
Old 05-04-2002, 02:26 PM   #26
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

well, the Eibach is better in this situation..

For 1.8+ drops Neuspeed and HnR would be contenders.

Old 05-06-2002, 08:59 AM   #27
spoogenet

I don't think you can get the KYB AGX for the 6th gen Accord, but correct me if I'm wrong. I know you can get Koni Yellows, though.

b
Old 05-10-2002, 08:08 PM   #28
SilverCoupe2K1

I think you're right Spoogenet...I went to the shop today and that's what they said...they don't have AGX for the 6th Gen. They suggested I drop it on Pro-Kits and upgrade the shocks next year when I go to bigger rims. What do you guys think?
Old 05-11-2002, 02:48 PM   #29
spoogenet

I don't think you'll have any problems using stock shocks with the prokits. Especially for the near-term when they're pretty new and in good shape already (I assume).

I'm debating between prokits and Tein coilovers....if I could get anybody to help me with my Tein thread....

I've known people to drop a lot more than prokits and use stock shocks without any issues over the course of 2 years. They could be the exceptions to the rule, so your mileage may vary.

b
Old 05-12-2002, 12:25 PM   #30
SilverCoupe2K1

Will the ride quality be noticably better with aftermarket shocks? In other words, are there any advantages to doing the shocks and springs together?